“Great location, fun times!”
Review of Adam Suites

Adam Suites
Ranked #3 of 68 Santo Domingo B&B and Inns
Charlotte Amalie, null, United States
“Great location, fun times!”
Reviewed May 11, 2013

Adam Suites is in the heart of the Colonial Zone. There are many attractions in walking distance and just getting lost was exciting. Santo Domingo is an urban center and like in many other large Caribbean/Central American cities; it is necessary to be aware of your surroundings and be careful to avoid flashing money, walking alone, avoid scams, etc. The hotel is fantastic. The balcony overlooks a street alive with action and is a great place to mingle with other guests. My room with en suite bathroom was spacious and clean. At the time of my visit a hot tub was under construction on the roof. I hope it is ready for my next visit! Just one bit of advice, I would skip the arranged taxi service via the hotel. Take a proper taxi from the airport; it will save you money and time.

1 Thank Adam F
adamsuiteshotel, Owner at Adam Suites, responded to this review, May 12, 2013
Dear guest: Thanks for taking the time to review us and for sharing your nice comments about the hotel and your experience while here. But allow me to clarify the taxi comment. The advantage of having transportation booked thru us is that once you pass customs, and at the exit door, there is our driver waiting outside for you which is not only very convenient- especially after a long trip- but safer too because you know that your are getting into a cab that will bring you right to the hotel and not around the city with some form of excuse to later charge you more for the trip due to some "misunderstandings". Remember, taxi drivers in DR only speak Spanish and not English.

I also want future guests to know that for such service we charge the same fare as any city taxi- not more or not less- which is $40 dollars (as of May 2013). So, investing in your airport transportation thru us is not only a wise decision but a safe one too. Take advantage of it so that you are not sorry later. Thanks, Gilbert

Families
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Trinidad
Reviewed May 5, 2013

This is my first visit to a Caribbean country and I was totally pleased with the entire staff customer relations with their guest, which I will rate as EXCELLENT! As the other reviews stated the atmosphere was a home ...away from home, even the guest were like family. I made friends with some of the guest and even ventured into the parties together throughout our stay. They staff ensured that our need were taken care of, even when we were out. I enjoyed walking into the room after a day out and seeing the bed made up with the artistic display of the bed sheet, that really caught my attention, even the bathroom tissues had an artistic flair. I am not good at remembering names, but that guy did a great job in ensuring we were comfortable. Gilbert, we will be returning in July, so look out for call!!!!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Francis m
adamsuiteshotel, Owner at Adam Suites, responded to this review, May 7, 2013
Hellooo!!! I would like to express my gratitude and thank you for the wonderful review you wrote about the hotel, the entire staff and our services. I am also very happy to hear that you felt like at home while here.. " home ...away from home" as you said.

Please come back soon and bring some of your friends alone so they enjoy the city too :-) THANKS!! Gilbert
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed May 3, 2013

While working in Haiti, a friend of mine recommend me Adam Suites Hotel. Since the time I booked, I was surprised by the efficient and friendly contacts with Gilbert. He accommodated for me the room and dates in two hours despite the tight deadlines!
At my arrival, I was gladly surprised by the location, the cleanliness, the friendly welcome and the spacious and bright room that they booked for me.
The Hotel administrator Fausto is an amazing and gentle source of information and a much resourceful person regarding Santo Domingo: he masters the right information about places to eat, ATMs, shopping areas, security information and also kindly accompany me and some friends to have dinner in Old Town!
The Hotel security is extremely trustworthy: they ask any visitor an ID and give you advice on places to go and places we should avoid...priceless information!

Briefly..this Hotel is 'the jewel of the crown' in Santo Domingo...and as a much experienced traveler, i can recommend Adam's Suites Hotel blindly to any person traveling to Santo Domingo...without any hesitation!!

Congratulations Gilbert, Fausto and the whole Adam's Suites Hotel team!!! I will be back soon!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank atiliorivera
adamsuiteshotel, Owner at Adam Suites, responded to this review, May 7, 2013
Dear guest: Allow me to thank you for such nice review about our hotel, the staff, the security, our cleanliness and overall great atmosphere. As you said, we are 'the jewel of the crown' of all the small hotel in Santo Domingo and we do feel that way too.

Thanks on behalf of the staff and we hope to see you back very soon too! :-) Regards, Gilbert
Gatineau, Canada
Reviewed March 31, 2013

Hi, I was at the Adam Suites hotel for 4 days, 23-27 March 2013.

- overall - average experience (maybe I am spoiled). Would I go again ?... maybe is the best I can say.

good -
- rooms are clean and the bed is comfortable.
- as mentioned by many, Gilbert and his staff are friendly and very helpful. Good recommendations.
- well located in town - easy walking distance so easy to retreat for a break. BUT, if you have a room in front, it will be noisy as it is a busy street.
- price is good, but a reflection of the hotel.
- met some nice people.

bad-
- web site is nice, but does not give an accurate picture. this is a very average place. Wifi - yes, but not in the rooms. Bar / lounge - not when I was there or did I miss something ? restaurant - same .... certainly nothing was offered. as for the pool - see below.
- pool was not open - but the web site promotes it well. I was not informed that is was not working. Considering there are no beaches in Santo Domingo, the pool would have been a nice break after long hot days.

Nonetheless, thanks to Gilbert and his staff for a pleasant stay.

ML

3 Thank Michel L
adamsuiteshotel, Owner at Adam Suites, responded to this review, April 1, 2013
Dear guest.... Thanks for your nice comments about the staff, the hotel cleanliness, our rooms and our great location. But allow me to put in prospective your other comments so future guests understand. You need to realize that you guys are traveling to a third world country and can not expect to be on a resort style hotel or on a first world destination when you choose to pay $ 39 dollars (as of April 2013) for a room. Our hotel is the best on his category in the entire city. not to mention that we are also the only all gay hotel in the country too.

I am more than proud that we can offer at such price range a room that is very clean with a queen size bedroom set (even in the junior room), cable TV, small fridge, in the room shower area, air conditioning, fan and daily room service. You mentioned in your review "may I am spoiled" and I wonder what do you mean? or a better question to you: What else you expected? There hotels chain in the city such as Hilton, Melia etc. that may accommodate your needs but it will cost you $ 120-$170 dollars per night too, We are not average as you said, we are a really nice place for the price range we are in and the best for the ambiance and guests camaraderie!

In regards to the bar lounge area- it was under renovation while you were here due to the fact that we are adding a restaurant to the hotel on the lower floor (due to open June 2013). BUT, upon request, we still serving drinks if requested- which you never did-. We also provide in the room food services form the restaurant across the street- which you never requested either- and other services that you never bother to ask for, such as short beach trip, massage services, etc. I also now wonder why you never asked me and/or questioned me about it while you are here?

Anyways, thanks for allowing me to express my opinion so that future guests understand that they are traveling to a Caribbean and to a third world country and to mentally compare us with any other hotel in the States is just unfair.

Come to Santo Domingo to have fun, to enjoy the culture, the people and be open and ready to appreciate the uniqueness of this country! See ya soon! :-) Gilbert
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed March 27, 2013

I had a wonderful, pleasent, and realxing time. Everything is within walking distance and the beach is in close proximity. The staff was very friendly and TRUSTWORTHY!!!! Gilbert the owner tended to my every need personally and ensured great customer service. I will be booking again in the near future.

3 Thank Toma2122
adamsuiteshotel, Owner at Adam Suites, responded to this review, April 2, 2013
On behalf of the staff and myself thank you for the nice review you that wrote about our hotel. We work very hard on a daily basis to maintain our great customer services and the staff is always eager to accommodate every guests needs. Hope to see you back soon! Thanks again. Gilbert
Charlottesville, Virginia
Reviewed March 25, 2013

Arranged airport pick-up through Adams Suites and its owner, Gilbert. The driver was there with a sign saying Adams Suites. Took my luggage and got us to the city where the hotel was located. This man can DRIVE!!!! I want him in Nascar Sprint Cup training. And his car has no dents. A huge deal if you've ever seen the majority of cars on the roads of Santo Domingo. My room was ready and Gilbert, the owner, was very helpful in giving me a tutorial on what to do and where to go. EVERYTHING this man told me was true. I asked where to get breakfast. "Up two blocks and make a right. Down a block and it's on the corner." It was there. I asked about safety. He assured me that I would be fine. I was skeptical, traveling alone and not a large man. Again he was correct. I walked around the streets nearby in the Colonial Zone from the morning or until 8 at night for dinner. No problems. Gilbert arranged a couple of tours for me. Both were just perfect. Everything that was promised, was delivered. When does that ever happen on a tour. Money exchange directly across the street with a nice, very competitive rate. Restaurant a few doors down from there, a great place for a last minute coke to take back to the room and they have great smelling food, popular with locals. I cannot comment on actual quality as I didn't eat there. Walking boulevard, 1 block over, called El Conde, with tons of shops, restaurants, clubs and places to purchase DR souvenirs was sooo convenient. I even shopped at the grocery store on El Conde. Great place to stock up on drinks and your favorite adult beverage. Inside the hotel was very clean, and unpretentious. A casual vibe that yes, you CAN believe in lives here. I was fortunate that I ran into AWESOME party pals while there. But that's the indefinable quality that makes or breaks a stay. Go with an open mind, and be quick with an introduction, smile and handshake and make friends from Baltimore to Miam to Curacao and beyond, if you're lucky. My room was very large. Nice bed, slightly firm for my skinny body-type, but I slept fine. My room was right on the street. It was noisy at night. Especially when the club across the street was open and letting out. Cabs honking and so forth. But if you are one of the partiers, you won't be affected. And frankly, as Gilbert said, "You don't come to Santo Domingo to sleep". Right, again. Plenty of hot water. Everthing worked. Air conditioning was great. Safe in my room was a peace of mind must for me. I think #5 may be the only one with a safe. I could be wrong. Fausto is as advertised. A sweet, kind person who will attempt to make sure you have what you need. In my case, a bag of ice at midnight. He delivered. Put it in a cooler and brought it into the upstairs gathering area near the balcony and we all had a few more hours of party at the Adams. Simply, terrific!!!! Carlos at the front door at night is such a nice man. Very quick with a smile, I felt completely secure knowing he was looking after the place late at night. It may be even more important to say that the people in the neighborhood seemed to respect all the staff that worked there. It took me a while to figure it out, but I was experiencing not just a hotel stay, but I was experiencing the heart and blood of a vibrant, colorful, even musical, at times, neighborhood. Convenient location is perfect for all your needs and wants. Gilbert's advice is first-rate. TRUST HIM. I did and had the trip of a lifetime. To Adams Suites and it's staff- I could have stayed at a fancier hotel that costs a lot more per night, but I would have missed out on a most personal and fun experience where I felt very much looked after and cared for. I left a little piece of my heart in Santo Domingo. And your hotel was the catalyst for fun and adventure for me. A MILLION THANKS, GENTLEMEN. "As God as my witness, I will return to the Adams Suites". I think that was the original line, wasn't it. ha ha Bring your party mindset and have a great time, my traveling friends.

5 Thank Spellingchamp76
adamsuiteshotel, Owner at Adam Suites, responded to this review, April 2, 2013
Dear guest from Virginia: What a wonderful review about our hotel, the staff and your overall experience at the hotel. I am so glad that I was able to guide and advise you as it was your first visit to the country and happy that you felt that my advices and comments were right on target.

Please come back soon and regards from the staff. We are looking forward to you back! Gilbert
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed March 23, 2013

I had a wonderful 4 days at the Adams Suites. From the moment I got there I felt at home. Gilbert was very thorough in his briefing upon arrival. The rooms were very clean and the staff was very warm. The cost was excellent. The driver was at the airport waiting as we walked out. And he was right there when we needed a ride to the malls, back to the airport and other places. I felt very secure especially at night with Carlos on the door. He was always there when we wanted to get in and he ensured our safety. Although Carlos is a big strong man, he was very warm and friendly made you just want to grab him and hold on to him. And speaking of grabbing and holding I cant say enough about Fausto. He has to be employee of the year. Fausto is everywhere doing everything. Whenever we needed something he was there to assist us. And he done it with a smile. I started to feel like we were bothering him but he made sure we knew that he was pleased to help us. He has some of the tightest hugs to be a small man. I really like the ambiance of the Adams Suites. I love that balcony where we spent most of time hanging out and playing with the boys down below. We didn't go to the clubs and bars much because we had good people staying at the hotel with us and had a party every night. It was amazing to see how we bonded with the other guests so fast. It was people from different backgrounds. By the second day you felt like you been knowing them for years. I guess the hotel gives you that feeling. I can go on and on about the pros. The only little con I had was the mosquitoes. Next time I know to bring some repellent. Also the construction noise early in the morning. Im sure that will be over soon. But if you had a nice night chances are you slept right through it like one of my traveling friends. Other than that everything was great and I will be staying again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
5 Thank Allen J
adamsuiteshotel, Owner at Adam Suites, responded to this review, April 1, 2013
Dear guest: Thanks so much for taking the time to review us. Your comments are very valuable for future guests that are planning to visit Santo Domingo and considering staying with us.

As you said in your review, our airport pick up services is first class! Our in house concierge services is top notch and Fausto is the employee of the year for the great services that he provide to my guests! :-) I also liked the fact that you enjoyed our already famous balcony and were able to be experience the great ambiance and comradely amongst the guest.

Hope to see you back and bring a friend with you! :-) Gilbert