“Feels Like a Home Away From Home!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Adam Suites

Adam Suites
Ranked #3 of 63 Santo Domingo B&B and Inns
New York City, New York
“Feels Like a Home Away From Home!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 28, 2012

The Adam Suites Hotel has been a truly wonderful experience. It's one that I will never forget. I came to Santo Domingo to study Spanish and needed an economical place to stay that would also make me feel comfortable as a gay man. I also wanted a place that would provide free wifi so I could keep in touch with friends and family back home in the states. Adam Suites has fulfilled my needs and then some.

The owner, Gilbert gave me a great price for my month long stay. He kept in communication for two months before I arrive assuring me that I would have a room for one month. Upon my arriva I was warmly greeted and felt right at home.

The most unique and wonderful part of my experience here is the balcony where the guests can relax and share their experiences with each other. I have had so many wonderful nights getting to know people from all over the World, as well as Dominicans.

My room is small but cozy. I feel very comfortable and sleep extremely well. Saturday nights were the exception as the hotel had a club night. As of this writing there is NO longer a club at the hotel, which will benefit those concerned about getting a good night's rest on Saturday. The owner plans to use the space for additional rooms and a restaurant/bar.

I do not understand the previous posters complaint of not being able to get out of the hotel. I have never had a problem in the over 3 weeks I've stayed here. There is 24 hour security and they are always present and eager to help. I appreciate the security system of requiring any visitor of a guest turning in their ID to security. There is no charge for a guest to have a visitor (even overnight!).

I noticed that many guests have been here before. I plan to do the same. Adam Suites assures me that I will always have a home when I visit Santo Domimgo

• Stayed February 2012
2 Thank Karl1973

Families
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 26, 2012

Here is my first review on TripAdvisor. The place is nice and clean and has potential. I stayed there and there is truth about getting in and out. Sometimes you have to go look for someone to let you out and there were a few times when i returned and there was no one to let me in and I had to wait. That is something that needs to be worked out. I booked one week and left after that week but stayed an additional two weeks. Did not leave because of any specific problems. Just found a place with a kitchen for around the same price. The club was nice but the three weeks I went there were never more than 20 people. And unless you are deaf there is no way you can sleep until the club closes and it is in the middle of the hotel. The music is that loud. I never saw any discrimination but did read on the monoga website about problems.The room was clean, air worked fine, and the location is good. I just found a place that was better for my needs. Also I do not know why the jacuzzi keeps being described as a pool. It is a large jacuzzi. It is nice but it is not a swimming pool.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank SDQLover
adamsuiteshotel, Owner at Adam Suites, responded to this review, March 16, 2012
Dear reviewer....

Thanks for taking the time to review us. Your input is appreciated and welcomed.

Please allow me to make few points here in regards to your review.

1-) The club was and is closed since February. We are adding 3 more rooms on that valuable space that was used only on Saturday night. So, music should not be a concern if you decide to return and stay with us.

2-) Eventhou I do not know who you are because you did not provide your name - like most people do when they write reviews here- I want to thank you for giving us high marks in regards to our location, sleep quality, cleanliness and room quality. As you know, that is very important to us and I appreciate that.

3-) In regards of us not having a kitchen in the rooms...it is very well explained in our website that we are a boutique hotel and not an apart-hotel (hotels rooms with kitchen area). Most, if not all of our guests, prefer to eat outside and in the open that to cook in their room. You know... the smell of cooked food, the grease, etc and we are not design for that purpose.

3-) Finally, the beauty of having an owner managed hotel is that my guests have 100% access to me, all day and all night. There is not an issue(s) that I can not resolve immediately if I am aware of it. The problem at the door that you say you had I was not aware of it all. I wonder how it happened if the doorman sits at the front door all night. I personally have random night check ups to make sure they are ok. As you may know, my room is just few steeps from the main door where the doorman always is.

4-) The pool... yes, it is a pool because it hold legally up to 40 people. In the colonial zone we are the only small hotel with a pool because no other hotel have the space for it or a terrace capable of holding the weight of the water. We need special permit for that and it is considered a pool.

Once again, thanks for taking the time to write the review and thanks for the high marks you gave us on cleanliness, sleep quality, location and rooms.
St. Petersburg, Khabarovsk, Russia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 18, 2012

The best of all - very frendly athmosphere you will finde in this hotel
For a time you are there you will feel like in family of friends from all around the world
Hotel situated in historical center of the city very near to all the sites and sea cost
It is very safe and staff is very friendly
Hotel has private night club inside witch is open on Saturday, there also you can meet all kindes of people mostly young locals
Hotel has swimming pool and another bar in garden on the roof, believe me - perfect place for afterpaty on Sunday early morning.
So if you want to see and feel gay life in Santo-Domingo, Adam Suites - the best place to stay!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
11 Thank Daimer D
Bristol, Rhode Island
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 29, 2012

My personal experience at this hotel the few times I was there was just excellent. No complaint, the owner and the staff is great, they lookout for me when I left the hotel with my friends who lives in DR, they made sure I was going out with the right people. the security at the hotel is on point. Bugarrones at the hotel during the day or night is a false statement, I didn't see any at any time. The owner is a smart business man. Well trained staff to meet such high standards and to make customers happy at their stay. Dominican Republic is a nice place to relax and Adam suites hotel offers relaxation. The price for the hotel and the amenities are just great. I thought it was a bargain. The club at the hotel is great, something l can barely find back home. There is no discrimination agains't any feminine or gay people in general (that's an irrelevant statement) I recommend this place to anyone. I come here very often and I will be coming to the hotel again.

Room Tip: All rooms are great, I like the biggest one.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
10 Thank Josco26
Tampa, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 25, 2012

I stayed at the Adam Suites hotel in September for two weeks and came back in December/2011, I was really impress with the service, staff was very very friendly. The Rooms are comfortable, very clean and very afordable.The location is great, I was close to everything, the Beach, El conde, the bars, the Gym, etc. I had a good time at the club they have at the Hotel, Saturday is a big night, you can actually meet nice and very sexy Dominicans. In front of the hotel you can find the best Dominican Food, very cheap and the staff very friendly.You can find Los Colmados. I loved the 24 hour Security, They have a little pool upstairs where you can get some sun and chill. I am going back in April and I am looking forward to staying at the Adam Suites Hotel.

Room Tip: If you are Single and you are in a budget you can get room number 3, small but very comfortable.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
6 Thank HappyTourist13
davidhaf1
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 17, 2012

I have travelled to Santo Domigo about 5 times each year for the past 5 years and have stayed in both high end and low end hotels,I am also a hotel Director in New Yok for the past 20 years.I contacted The Adam Suite hotel last November and was keen for me and my friends to try it out(Nov 10-14/2011)I was bowled over by the following,my airport pickup was punctual and professional,the check in staff was pleasant,friendly and not overbearing,my room was very spacious with well appointed amenites and very clean(an absolute must for me)hot running water,working AC,all electrical outlets in top working order(thanks to their own generator)..the Owner Gilbert treated us as if we were visiting family members coming home,the price was affordable,the location as central as you can be..I plan on making this hotel my home while in the Zona Colonial and will recommend it highly to my discerning friends..also please stop by their world renowned club on Saturdays,the best In Santo Domingo..please be considerate and save me a room..David F(New York)

Room Tip: Ask for the Deco rooms or the Deco plus..the price is graet so splurge a little
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
3 Thank dferdinand
Red Bank, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 17, 2012

I was suprised by the Adamsuitehotel,yes it is easy to pass if you did not know its location,but it is very discreetly located and the staff is unreal,they go all out to make sure you have a great stay,the rooms are very clean and the hot water was hot,not like the other pricier hotel I have stayed at nearby,I did not mind paying for my room with cash,this is not unusual in a third world country,I love the inhouse Disco on Friday and Saturday night's.Even when I went to my room to sleep while the Disco was still open.I was able to sleep without a problem,i have just rebooked with them for another stay and will be a patron for many stay's as I visit Santo Domingo at least 4 times a Year

Room Tip: al the rooms are great
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends