“Unhappy! Overrated! and why attempt to charge me for my wife!”

Mercure Comercial Santo Domingo
Ranked #36 of 79 Hotels in Santo Domingo
Reviewed March 13, 2013

I travel to Santo Domingo quite often (At least 12 times a year). I always booked pre-paid in a never know what you are going to get web site and fashion, but have always (until now) been very happy with what I get for my prepaid booking dollars.

THE BAD:
Waited in the lobby over two hours for a room. I arrived at the hotel at 2pm and did not get a room until almost 4:30. What is worst is that ever 15 minutes I was told to wait another 15 minutes.

Internet is beyond slow, and had a ton of very slow and dropping connection issues

They attempted to charged $20.00 per night for my wife. This is crazy! I pointed out that first you had me wait 2 plus hours for a room and now you have the nerve to attempt to profit another $20 per night for my wife. Then I told them that the prepaid booking site always states on the booking, 2 person room reservation.

NOT enough outlets for the moden day computers, ipad, iphone world

Room too small!

THE GOOD:
The location, El Conde is a great location for tourist. But to be honest I would had rather stay at a number of other hotels that offer better service and value in the El Conde area or on the Malecon.

Room Tip: Stay at the Hilton, Hostal Nicolas Ovando - MGallery Collection hotel or Hotel Palacio hotel them a...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Brent L
H2974, Director General at Mercure Comercial Santo Domingo, responded to this reviewResponded March 14, 2013

Dear Brent L.,

I am sorry to figure out that your experience was not up to your expectation.

There are indeed two points to comment according to what you wrote.

The check in time is at 3PM at the hotel and you had to wait 1 hour (actually not 2 but this is not normal, we agree on it). I am deeply sorry but we had some issues due to other Guests who did not want to leave on time. Even if, I understand that "it is not your concern", I wanted to explain to you what happened. You should have met me and we would have discussed the matter and I would have made you spend a good moment with your wife.
As for the 20 USD, we checked and you had a single reservation. Then to pass it to double occupancy, the rate is the correct one. We both understand that it is not possible to reserve for one and come two for the same rate.
The internet was slow last week but not due to the hotel but to the company who is having problems in the whole country at the moment. Nevertheless, it works well for mail, social websites and even for small streaming.

Please next time, do not doubt to come to me and I will make your stay a great experience.

Best regards,

Pierre Bignalet
h2974-gm@accor.com

Reviewed March 9, 2013

I went several months ago, so I'm comparing my experience to that. Went back for a one-night stay and really enjoyed the trip. Check-in went smoothly and perfectly. The room was clean and comfortable, the TV worked great, and the breakfast buffet was good. Only two minor complaints: ran out of melon on the buffet, and could not get a cup of coffee from any of the servers. But the food was good and lots of variety to choose from. So I'll definitely return. Plus, the location is AWESOME.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed March 3, 2013

Slow hotel internet connection constantly drops out - subpar for a business hotel at this price. Cheaper hotels in town have faster connections if this is important. Rooms are basically ok, but a bit old and worn. Service is disinterested, and the atmosphere is impersonal.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank holgs
H2974, Director General at Mercure Comercial Santo Domingo, responded to this reviewResponded March 5, 2013

Dear Holgs,

Thank you for taking the time to comment about our hotel as opinions allow us to improve always.

Regarding the internet, we have a correct internet connexion depending what you want to do with it. It is important to explain that it is free and allows to check mails, social pages, even watch some streaming. Indeed, it is slow if you start using it to download heavy files, movies or music ; this is not the purpose.
I am sad to read that the atmosphere is impersonal as this is what we are trying to provide to our Guests here. Indeed, the hotel is not a "charming hotel" but the rates are according to the product. The location is a big plus and usually, we have very good comments about the friendlyness of the staff. I am truly sorry that you did not share this experience.
Do not hesitate to contact me directly for your next stay, you will understand that we sincerely receive our Guests with pleasure.

Best regards,

Pierre Bignalet
Director
h2974-gm@accor.com

Reviewed February 25, 2013 via mobile

Great hotel...small rooms yet clean and
The hotel is right in the middle of things...
Walk down Conde, great restaurants and in the historic zona colonial...hotel and restaurant staff went out of their way.to help and the taxis in front are friendly and fair....and there is even free WiFi...Add to all this that Bon Icecream is right outside on Conde ....Even the manager checked up on us...
Muchas.gracias hotel Mercure!!!!!

• Stayed: February 2013
Reviewed February 17, 2013

This hotel is very conveniently located, in a closed long street called "El Conde". Places close by to change money, eat, shop and walk for sightseeing. Well patrolled area so it is safe. Food in hotel restaurant is good and cheap. The rooms are small but have a fridge in them. Supermarket less than a 100 yards away. However, water pressure in shower is poor and the WiFi is slow.

Room Tip: Ask for interior room not facing the traffic street or the pedestrian street.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed January 30, 2013

The hotel is situated in the middle of colonial city where you can feel the history walking in the streets.
The hotel is near of restaurants, near the sea, has a wonderful breakfast, very good and clean rooms

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed January 22, 2013

I stayed at the Mercure last spring for a night while we were down there from Georgian College (Barrie & Owen Sound, Ontario) on a nursing mission trip. The rooms were nice and comfortable, down to the little details. The staff was extremely friendly and helpful. My friend Lindsay and I sat at the bar and had a drink before bed and had some snacks as well. We kept talking after the trip about how friendly and fun the one server 'Suny' was during our stay and how much she made our night at the hotel. Thanks again Suny! Hope all is well with you!

Rebecca