“Thank you for the unexpected upgrade !”

Crowne Plaza Santo Domingo
Ranked #8 of 79 Hotels in Santo Domingo
Mettmann, Germany
“Thank you for the unexpected upgrade !”
Reviewed June 14, 2014

On a short notice coming over to Santo Domingo I made a booking with the Crowne Plaza as my standard hotel was already sold out. I stayed at the Crowne Plaza - when it was still the Intercontinental - a couple of years ago and many things changed for the better. It looks like the hotel has undergone an extensive renovation after which the lobby area came out nicely as a first impression when you enter the hotel. Eventhough I just booked a standard room they immediately upgraded me to a suite on the 14th floor which spacewise basically consists out of two standard rooms. A little bar area adjoined with a spacious seating area made it attractive. The clean place, tastefully decorated and a balcony - at that hight for the daring only - made me really enjoy my stay. Service at reception is very friendly with a truly bilingual staff during my time of check-in. The hotel location directly at the Malecon leaves you with a great view from the majority of rooms, still centrally enough for business travel and just a hop away from the Colonial Zone, if you do the touristical tour. I will be back for sure ....

Room Tip: The executive class rooms have balconies ...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
ManagerGS, Guest Service at Crowne Plaza Santo Domingo, responded to this review, June 16, 2014
Dear Estrangeiro58,

We appreciate that you have taken the time to describe your experience at the hotel. Our engagement is to provide a quality service with dedication and courtesy, reaffirming our commitment to become "Great Hotels Guests Love".

We look forward to welcoming you on a future stay in Santo Domingo.

Thanks again for your preference!!!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (162)
Santiago de los Caballeros, Dominican Republic
Reviewed June 5, 2014

We had our regional medical meeting at Crowne Plaza Santo Domingo, with the greatest convention space and the best quality of service that you can ask for. Look for Aura Pérez, commercial sales manager and she will be delight to organize your reunion.
PD.: Right now the hotel has the best room in Santo Domingo fully renewed and with working area that looks to the Caribbean Sea

Room Tip: All rooms are great!
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
ManagerGS, Guest Service at Crowne Plaza Santo Domingo, responded to this review, June 6, 2014
Dear Misiconjo,

Thanks for taking the time to write your comments. We are happy you have chosen our hotel for your Medical Convention, will pass on your thanks to Aura Perez for following and service offered.

Our rooms have been remodeled for the enjoyment and comfort of our customers, we love to hear you had a pleasant experience.

We hope to welcome you again in a new opportunity.

Surrey, Canada
Reviewed May 31, 2014

I was in Santo Domingo for business, so it was reasonable to stay here. However the location is not close to anything. No beach access, no shopping, no historical sites.
Check in was OK and most of the staff speak English.
My room was OK. A little bit of peeling paint and dingy carpets but overall not bad. It had typical room amenities like toiletries, safe, coffee maker, and mini bar. The bed was very comfortable and the view was nice. WiFi was decent and the air conditioning kept my room cool.
Breakfast had a good selection of fresh fruit and hot items as well as an omelet station.
Dinner was not too exciting. The food was just average and it took a long time for it to arrive...I guess I should expect to be on Caribbean time.
So don't some here expecting an incredible experience, otherwise you might find it was just par.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
ManagerGS, Guest Service at Crowne Plaza Santo Domingo, responded to this review, June 2, 2014
Dear Lightningboy,

Thanks for taking the time to write your comments. According to that you describe, it's very importan to notify you that the hotel is 5 minutes from the colonial area, historic site of the City of Santo Domingo, the nearest beach is 25 minutes (Boca Chica or Juan Dolio) as well as restaurants and bars located near the hotel.

We're glad you had a comfortable room and received a quality service. Forward to welcoming you on your next visit to the city of Santo Domingo.

West Sussex
Reviewed May 29, 2014

I have visited the Crowne Plaza on several occasions and I will never return. The hotel is situated approx 30-45 mins from the airport and approx 25 mins brisk walk to the beautiful city of Santo Domingo.

Pro's:
Good size rooms, clean, well decorated, king size beds in some rooms with good linens. Average size bathrooms with shower and a bath, plentiful hot water, and nice toiletries.

Excellent restaurant-probably the best hotel food I have ever had with plenty of choice. Room service was also excellent. On my last visit I did notice that there seemed to be a change of staff for the breakfast who did not appear to enjoy their jobs as they were neither helpful nor attentive, and did not smile.

Nice pool and jacuzzi terrace; the sunbed covers are changed very regularly. There is a bar where food can be ordered and there are plenty of sun beds although insufficient parasols. The pool bar staff are lovely despite their liking for loud music!

Plenty of taxis are based next to the hotel, approx $20 fee into town and they will take you and wait for you whilst you eat.

Many staff are excellent however others are much less so and they let the standard down as a whole, the duty manager being one of them. I am happy to provide details of the dates of my stay should it be of interest or concern to any senior hotel staff.

Cons:
This hotel is a brisk 25 minute walk to the main town area for the shops/restaurants and culture. On one occasion I was mugged by a man mounting the pavement on a motor bike and grabbing at my neck and necklace: I stress that this is not in anyway the fault of the hotel however I would advise caution whilst walking in the area. There is a small supermarket and pharmacy nearby however I was somewhat harassed by a local trying to force his attention and guidance to the shops-for a fee.

On my last stay I was kept awake until 4am by the two gentlemen in the next room who had the TV on so loudly that they had to shout loudly over the volume. Eventually I called reception to ask them to be quiet-situation resolved. I was staying at the hotel whilst undergoing surgery and therefore needed plenty of rest. Having determined that the man was staying for a further night at 8am I requested another (quiet) room for the remainder of my stay ensuring that the staff fully understood the reason for my stay and the approx. time that I would be returning from hospital. I went to hospital, had surgery and returned to the hotel at approx 12pm; the new room was not ready. I returned to reception 5 more times throughout the afternoon, the last being at 7pm only to be told that the room was STILL not ready. By this time I decided that the only option was to go to another hotel. I asked for someone to collect my luggage immediately. By 7.30pm no one turned up so I had to take all of my own luggage down to reception despite being told not to lift ANYTHING for 6 weeks. Whilst at reception looking at hotels on the internet a marketing person from the hotel noticed my baggage and asked what I was doing and what the nature of the problem was. I was angry and actually quite distressed by this time, circa 7.45pm. This lady immediately found me another room and assisted me with my luggage. However, I noted that whilst they have a 'quiet floor' I was not given a room there despite the problems that I had endured. To top it all the Duty Manager refused to give me any discount until I robustly and firmly informed him via the staff that I would NOT pay for the disturbed night/day given the lack of use of the room for the whole day as I was constantly going to reception re moving rooms. In fact, the duty manager couldn't even be bothered to come and speak to me personally as would have been appropriate. Given that the hotel staff were totally aware of my needs regarding recuperation following the surgery and treatment that I was having, this was wholly unacceptable.

The pool area is pleasant with clean and plentiful sun beds although insufficient parasols and the pool is much too shallow in which to swim, and the jacuzzi far too hot to relax in. The music on the pool terrace is often far too loud, the volume making it impossible for me to read and/or relax. Having requested for the music to be turned down without resolve, I placed towels over some speakers and even managed to turn one to face the ground! There is one elevated area near the jacuzzi that does not have speakers however this was usually occupied, most likely by others who did not enjoy the loud music either. Most visitors had their own music headphones etc. so I got the impression that the music was purely for the barman.

There is a bar in the main hotel lobby however the staff behave as if customers are something to be tolerated and therefore it is not a relaxing or enjoyable venue.

Whilst this hotel is directly opposite the seafront, there is no beach, the water is very rough and full of rubbish. There are beaches quite some distance away by car or taxi.

In summary this could be a good hotel for business rather than leisure in the event that the issues highlighted above be resolved; including the lack of customer care displayed particularly by senior management. If the duty manager displays such poor standards and lack of care, this will percolate throughout the whole staff.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank BrideWestSussex
ManagerGS, Guest Service at Crowne Plaza Santo Domingo, responded to this review, May 30, 2014
Dear BrideWestSussex ,

Thank you for taking the time to write your comments and describe in detail your stay. We wich that you can to recover your health soon .

In highlighting the positive aspects we can confirm that our room service is excellent as well as the comfort of the rooms .

We find it strange that the restaurant staff do not smile, because we always have a very attentive and smiling staff , due to it is a commitment that we have with our guests to provide a good and quality service . Our hotel is located on the Malecon of Santo Domingo and this is not a beach , it is the Caribbean Sea and in this area can not swim , the closest beach is 25 minutes from the hotel.

We regret the situation that happened with the room change after your surgery in all these days we have been running very high occupancy levels and when this happens is complicated room assignments .

When our guests are in the pool and feel the music is loud , you can to tell the bartender to turn it down and know that they would do immediately , as well as any requirements that need in this area.

If during your stay you request to talk with an executive from the hotel and it is not available , you can call the Public Relations Manager , Venus Balbuena , who will gladly assist you.

We appreciate your comments and we will consider it , we hope to welcome you in the next opportunity .

Venus Balbuena
Public Relations Manager
venus.balbuena@ihg.com
LITH, IL
Reviewed May 28, 2014

Staff members were all gracious and quite helpful. Was booked on the club floor, but this was under construction so I received a suite with a sea view. Well appointed, spacious and quite nice. Hotel does have an adjoining Casino for those who care to indulge. Meals fully met my expectations especially my Friday room service lunch. I had the Chef's special sandwich which was wonderful. When I inquired about the soup, I was told it was "chicken soup". Turned out to be a rich chicken broth LOADED with chicken and vegetables. YUM!! On the downside, there's not much to do in the immediate area, and the evening period brings out small urchins of questionable repute looking for a handout.

Room Tip: Upgrade to a sea view balcony
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
ManagerGS, Guest Service at Crowne Plaza Santo Domingo, responded to this review, May 29, 2014
Dear Pete P,

Thanks for taking the time to write your comments. We're glad because you had a memorable experience and received quality and personalized service.

Small details make the difference and we are moving to "Great Hotels Guests Love." It will be a honor to welcome you at the next opportunity.

Reviewed May 27, 2014

I am a resident/citizen of the USA. I met and married a wonderful woman who is a University student in the USA. She also happens to be a citizen of the Dominican Republic. Her family was not able to travel to our simple wedding in the USA. We came to visit the Dominican Republic after her semester.

We were able to walk into the Crowne Plaza Hotel on short notice and meet with event planner (Giselle Mena) who was able to plan and guide us through a stressless path to a wonderful event.

Everything thing was amazing, the staff was professional, pleasant, polite, expert, attentive and even anticipated elements. They were also able to adapt to changes seamlessly. Secondary only to our treatment was an exquisitely designed building with wonderful spaces overlooking incredible ocean views. I cannot fully express how exceptional the experience was.

Thank you Giselle and Staff for an truly first class experience!!!!!

P.s. a friend whom traveled here stated that he expects to stay at the Crowne Plaza on an upcoming business trip, and one of my sisters in-law states that when it is her time she would like to have her wedding here as well.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Javid A,

Thanks for taking the time to write your comments. First of all congratulations on your wedding, it's been a pleasure to welcome you and be part of one of the most important moments of your life.

Will pass your thanks to Giselle and all Staff that allowed stay memorable. Our staff offers quality service with professional and hospitable attitude, which makes possible an unforgettable experience.

We hope to welcome you again on your next visit to Santo Domingo.

Santo Domingo
Reviewed May 26, 2014

It has been a great experience. Great meeting rooms, comfortable bedrooms. Great service (every where). Every thing is very clean, food were always excellent!. Internet access is consistent and great location!!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
ManagerGS, Guest Service at Crowne Plaza Santo Domingo, responded to this review, May 28, 2014
Dear Karina M,

Thank you for taking your time to comment about our hotel. We are pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and that you received a great service.

Our engagement is to provide a quality service with dedication and courtesy.

Thanks again for staying with us and we hope to see you soon in your next visit to Santo Domingo.