“best in Santo Domingo”

Ranked #8 of 79 Hotels in Santo Domingo
Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic
“best in Santo Domingo”
Reviewed January 13, 2014

i went for a long weekend Thursday-Sunday in early October. Now Santo Domingo isnt a huge tourist attraction city so i kept drawing stares from people because im white, which is a little unnerving and there's definitely several streets to avoid if you walk around- especially at night.

Hotel lobby is very nice posh atmosphere and the front desk / check-in spoke English impressively well. The elevator needs your room key to activate which is a nice added security as does the rooms lights/AC

bedroom/bathroom very nice and comfortable though our window didnt open, nor did the internet work. had somebody come to my room with a dead laptop and ask to use my laptop charger while he fixed the problem which only complicated the matters

Dinner at the restuarant was complicated because the menu wasnt in english and the prices were pretty high. i would suggest going outside the hotel to eat but be wary the quality you will get even going into a mcd's or wendy's.

Casino - was very limited and dated. nobody spoke English and ended up going to the closest one down the street, much better and actually had tables games.

Room Tip: you get what you pay for, corner rooms and the higher up in the building the better
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
ManagerGS, Guest Service at Crowne Plaza Santo Domingo, responded to this review, January 15, 2014
Dear Snowbrat85,

Thank you for taking your valuable time to write about your stay with us. The hotel has renovated rooms for your best relaxation and enjoyment.

We regret the situation that you haved in the Nabu restaurant and we inform you that all our menus are in English and Spanish and maintain competitive prices on the market that we handle.

Thanks for your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you on a future stay in Santo Domingo.

Best Regards,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (164)
Northants
Reviewed January 11, 2014

I arrived on the 26th December 2013 - and was staying for 3 nights - to do some work at a local hospital charity event.
I arrived - around 1300 - and my room wasnt available, however, the reception offered me drinks and food while i waited.
Nice reception - good location
taken to room - very large room - clean, well presented,
good bathroom
overall stay was good - would have been excellent, but for some reason the team in the restaurant for breakfast and dinner were seriously miserable -
everything seemed to be so much trouble
the second night - the team - 10 of us- had been working since 730am, arrived back late - took nearly 1.5 hrs for the starters to arrive, even though we ordered immediately as we all had an early start the next day. this destroyed the experience - i would stay again, but just eat out.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
ManagerGS, Guest Service at Crowne Plaza Santo Domingo, responded to this review, January 13, 2014
Dear Resh D,

We appreciate that you have taken the time to write your comment. First and foremost we apologize for the inconveniences during your stay with the breakfast and dinner.

We will be sure to pass your kind words to Food and Beverage Department, about the quality, service and prices. Its our commitment bringing an excellent service to Crowne Plaza Standards.

All areas of the hotel and the structure of the rooms are been completely renewed. Thanks again for staying with us and we hope to see you again soon!

Orlando, Florida
Reviewed January 11, 2014

I stayed at the Crowne Plaza Santo Domingo a few days ago and have to say the experience was better than expected. While Santo Domingo has many hotels to choose from, a vast majority are older hotels and the service level is a hit or miss. I did a fair bit of research before booking here, reading countless reviews and trying to figure out if this is really going to be a good choice. I'm happy to say that as a frequent traveler that stays at hotels at least 80 nights a year...this is definitely a great choice.

I arrived on a Friday afternoon shortly after check-in time started. The lobby area is very nice, definitely up to the standard of Crowne Plaza hotels. It can be busy at times especially during the late afternoon when people are checking in and waiting, but it's a very pleasant area. There is a Casino in the hotel too, nothing big but if one has the desire it is definitely there and right next to the main entrance of the hotel. The line was busy and check-in seemed to take a bit of time for each guest. There are a couple papers to sign and documents to scan, the usual stuff at an international hotel. I wish the process was a little faster, because I was standing in line for almost 15 minutes (first one waiting with two guests ahead of me being checked-in by staff). Once my turn came, the process took a good five or six minutes and I was on my way to my room on the 9th floor.

I had a King bed with a beautiful view of the Malecon and Caribbean Sea. The room was in good condition, overall very clean. The bathroom was not that big, but it was still very nice and clean which is what is most important. If I had one issue, it would be that the bed in this particular room was way too hard. Not comfortable at all. I have stayed at Crowne Plaza hotels before and the beds are usually very comfortable, but this one was too firm and I hope this is not the case for all the rooms. Nevertheless I did get sufficient sleep each night. The internet was included in my rate, and I found the speeds to be just fine. Not the fastest, but definitely not slow either. The shower in the bathroom was great in the morning, a hit or miss in the evening. For the most part, no real complaints on this. There is a safe in the hotel, and I never had any issues with room service. I did not have breakfast included in my rate, but I did have room service (breakfast and dinner) a couple times and found the quality of the meal to be good. The staff were very friendly, and a majority knew english. The cleaning staff knew very little english, however as a basic Spanish speaker I had no issues communicating and all were friendly. The only other slight issue I had was that the room key stopped working two or three times. A minor annoyance.

The location of the hotel is very convenient. The Malecon is the boardwalk of Santo Domingo and while many people will think it's dirty and needs to be cleaned up, this is still a great area to stay at. The Colonial Zone is a quick cab ride of 15 minute walk away, and most everything you need is really in walking distance. There are a couple other casinos next to the hotel, the area is overall very safe and convenient. At night families and and other people come out and walk along the Malecon which is a very pleasant experience. No it's not the cleanest of boardwalks, but it has its own charm and is unique to Santo Domingo.

For the value and service, the Crowne Plaza hotel is a great choice and I will definitely stay here again the next time I am in Santo Domingo. It's up to Crowne Plaza standards, the location is convenient, and the property overall is very pleasant and comfortable!!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

ManagerGS, Guest Service at Crowne Plaza Santo Domingo, responded to this review, January 12, 2014
Dear Stylo4444,

On behalf of the General Manager and the staff of the Hotel Crowne Plaza Santo Domingo, thank you for taking your valuable time to write about your stay with us, it gives us great satisfaction to know that you had such a wonderful experience here at the best Crowne Plaza Hotel of the Caribbean.

Thanks for sharing the good and special service you received at the Front Desk, Lobby Bar, and Restaurant, Room Service and in each area of the Hotel. Around the hotel you can find interesting places and Historic Momuments.

Thank again for your preference!!! We look foward to welcoming in your next visit to Santo Domingo.

Best regards,
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed January 7, 2014 via mobile

We stayed on 12/31 and 1/1. What a great hotel. The location is right across from the water with gorgeous views. The service was lovely. The restaurant, one of the best in the area!!! We went to the year end party in the ballroom and it was terrific. The merengue band was really great. We really enjoyed ourselves. The banquet waiters were disappointing. Perhaps there weren't enough? But the service was really poor. Didn't ruin the night or our stay. The gym is great. Plenty of treadmills & weight machines. The pool area really lovely with very comfy & stylish sun loungers. The room was nice. Great bed; clean, well maintained room. We will definitely be back.

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
ManagerGS, Guest Service at Crowne Plaza Santo Domingo, responded to this review, January 8, 2014
Dear BeachAna,

We appreciate that you have taken the time to describe your experience at the hotel. Our staff always maintains a professional and friendly attitude with our guests. For the best rest of our guests, we've remodeled rooms, as well as the swimming pool that has a spectacular view of the sea.

It gives us great satisfaction to know that you had such a wonderful experience here at the best Crowne Plaza Hotel of the Caribbean. Our engagement is to provide a quality service with dedication and courtesy, reaffirming our commitment to become "Great Hotels Guests Love".

We look forward to welcoming you on a future stay in Santo Domingo. T

Thanks again for your preference!!!
Bavaro, Dominican Republic
Reviewed December 27, 2013

Great accommodations , room was just like the pictures . We had a view of the ocean that just made our stay that much better. Staff at the hotel were excellent , breakfast was better than I expected. You will not be disappointed in any respect.

Room Tip: The hotel was fabulous , very accommodating staff . I would definitely recommend this hotel when sta...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family

2 Thank Randy501
ManagerGS, Guest Service at Crowne Plaza Santo Domingo, responded to this review, December 30, 2013
Dear Randy501,

Thank you so much for your review of our Hotel. We are pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and that you feel you received great service. It gives us great satisfaction to know that you had such a wonderful experience here at the best Crowne Plaza Hotel of the Caribbean.

We look forward to welcoming you on a future stay in Santo Domingo.

Thanks again for your preference!!!

Best regards,
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed December 27, 2013

Don't leave the hotel alone? Well that's what the hotel tells you anyway. See picture of card they give you. They also tell you on the card not to take your camera or video camera with you. How is a tourist supposed to take pictures then? Scary warnings that will make you want to hide in your hotel closet with the curtains drawn, every lock on, and furniture blocking the door. Is it warranted? I don't know, the hotel says it is.

I was here for just one night. Everyone at the front desk spoke English, although some had such thick accents it was hard to understand them. The girl working in gift shop spoke no English, and of course the cleaning staff didn't. Cleaning woman knocked on my door, I opened it and said "Yes, can I help you?" and she started talking a mile a minute in Spanish. Sorry, I don't speak Spanish.

I'm a member of the IHG Rewards Club. When I made my reservation I requested a high floor with a view. They put me in a low floor with an obstructed view. I guess being a a rewards club member doesn't matter. I was not even on a "club floor" as the elevator listed all the higher floors as "club floors".

Room itself was OK. Didn't use the bidet, as there were no instructions and I didn't want to spray myself with bidet water. Not even sure if it was safe to use, as they always say don't put the local water in your body from places like the DR, and the bidet water shoots up into your body.

Mini-bar was locked. Had to call and get it unlocked. Hotel has casino attached to lobby. I didn't use it. Seemed to mostly be locals in there who stared at me when I walked around. Breakfast buffet was very nice. They had everything. Pool area was very nice. Was a bit confusing to get to the pool though. All the elevators are together, but some go to the pool floor (floor 3) and some don't. To make things more confusing the elevators that don't go to the pool floor have buttons that say the pool is on floor 2. You get off on floor 2 and there's no pool so you think you are going crazy.

Nice lobby you can relax in. Ocean is across the street, but no beach. Santo Domingo is not really a place Americans go for DR vacations, most go to the beach towns like Boca Chica or Punta Cana. Overall the hotel is fine if you need to stay in Santo Domingo, just not sure how safe the neighborhood is with all those scary warnings the hotel gives.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor, don't know if you'll get it though.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
ManagerGS, Guest Service at Crowne Plaza Santo Domingo, responded to this review, December 28, 2013
Dear Guest Love_2_Travel_djkljd,

Of the four elevators that we have only two have direct access to the pool, the other two have access by stairs.

Thank you again for yours comments and look forward to welcoming you on your next visit to the city of Santo Domingo.

Reviewed December 19, 2013

the hotel is nice and well located, the breakfast is also OK with a comfortable selection. the employees are nice and dedicated. the only remark I have is regarding the swimming pool hours, is not adequate for business visitors, it should open at 6am same as the gym.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business

1 Thank Arie G
ManagerGS, Guest Service at Crowne Plaza Santo Domingo, responded to this review, December 21, 2013
Dear Arie G,

Thank you for taking your time to comment about our hotel. We are pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and that you received a great service. We will be sure to pass your kind words to the Staff, about your comments and service.

It's perfect that you enjoyed in the best Hotel Crowne Plaza of the Caribbean. Thanks again for staying with us and we hope to see you soon in your next visit to Santo Domingo.

Best Regards,