“Hotel is good but not great”

Crowne Plaza Santo Domingo
Ranked #9 of 80 Hotels in Santo Domingo
Reviewed November 16, 2013

I stay here often because it is the nicest hotel in Santo Domingo. This hotel is going through a remodel at the moment. The older rooms smell a bit musty and make my allergies kick up. The new rooms are very nice with new carpet, paint, and furniture. The bathroom fixtures were not updated but they did repaint and get the musty smell out.

They recently turned off the Ethernet ports in all the rooms and only offer wireless internet. The speed is not great. Their website says they offer two speeds, the higher speed costing more and free to priority club members but when I asked at the front desk they said they only have one speed.

The restaurant is better than average. The food is prepared well and the staff is attentive. They enjoy waiting on you because it is never very busy. The coffee shop in the lobby makes decent espresso drinks but they do not have hours posted and it is often hit or miss on being open when I leave in the morning for my business day.

In general the staff is very good. The folks at the front desk are helpful and will do most anything to make your stay enjoyable.

Note that many taxi drivers in the city will not know where the Crowne Plaza is because until recently is was the Intercontinental.

If you do not want to be bothered by shoe shine boys and beggars when walking to area restaurants CAREFULLY cross the busy street and walk along the ocean side of the street.

The rate I always get includes free breakfast which is pretty good. I assume this comes with all room rates but I am not sure.

Room Tip: Ask for a new room not on a corner.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
1  Thank roraniel
ManagerGS, Guest Service at Crowne Plaza Santo Domingo, responded to this reviewResponded November 20, 2013

Dear Roraniel,

Thank you so much for your review of our Hotel. We are pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and that you feel you received great service. It’s something our Staff takes great pride in, so we value your feedback and they are on training all the time.

We will be sure to pass your kind words to Food and Beverage Department, about the quality, service and prices. Its our commitment bringing an excellent service to Crowne Plaza Standards.

All areas of the hotel and the structure of the rooms are been completely renewed.

Thanks again for staying with us and we hope to see you again soon!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,027)

Reviewed November 16, 2013

I travel frequently and stay in hotels almost 200 nights per year but seldom have found a hotel like the Cowne Plaza Santo Domingo which makes me feel so much at home.

It’s a combination of excellent amenities such as the fantastic pool area, the outstanding exercise facility, the great service and extensive restaurant menu, the beautiful view of the Caribbean, friendly front desk staff who always remember your name and of course the super housekeeping team who always respond quickly to special requests. All in all, this is the hotel to go to for relaxation and for business and is a great place to unwind after a long days work. The close proximity of the Santo Domingo Colonial Zone, which is within walking distance, provides lots of opportunity to explore and the live music in the lobby is really welcomed and enjoyable. I would like to especially thank:

• Yaquelin Rodriguez, for ensuring that my reservations were handled the way I like;
• Bienvenido Figerero at the club breakfast area for continued excellence;
• Harvey Zambiano, at the lounge bar for his personalized service and for introducing me to the live music in the lobby which was really welcomed and enjoyable; and
• Jamie Contreras, the restaurant manager, for introducing me to the new restaurant and taking the time to explain all items on the menu.

The hotel has changed some amenities but has not changed the excellence of management and staff and it is this excellence that will continue to bring me back for return visits.

I would like to thank Edward Taveras and all the front desk staff and Yalta Rodriguez and all her staff for making my seven day stay most enjoyable—I intend to return soon.

David Bowman
November 2103

Room Tip: All rooms are great and many have balconies--If you like strong morning sun, ask for a room overlook...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
ManagerGS, Guest Service at Crowne Plaza Santo Domingo, responded to this reviewResponded November 19, 2013

Dear David B,

On behalf of the General Manager and the staff of the Hotel Crowne Plaza Santo Domingo, thank you for taking your valuable time to write about your stay with us, it gives us great satisfaction to know that you had such a wonderful experience here at the best Crowne Plaza Hotel of the Caribbean.

Thanks for sharing the good and special service you received at the Front Desk, Lobby Bar, and Restaurant and in each area of the Hotel. Our engagement is to provide a quality service with dedication and courtesy, reaffirming our commitment to become "Great Hotels Guests Love"

Thanks again for your preference!!! and We hope to see you in your next visit to Santo Domingo.

Best regards,

Reviewed November 13, 2013

My wife and I stayed at this hotel on our honeymoon. We landed in Santo Domingo but were traveling to Puerto Plata for an all inclusive stay at resorts up there... rather than spend an entire day traveling, we decided to spend a Night at the Hotel Crown Plaza. I wish we would have spent the entire honeymoon there. The people, service, food, views and location were EXCELLENT. Needless to say, we recently vacationed to the Dominican Republic just to stay at this hotel. I can't recommend this accommodation strongly enough.

Room Tip: Try to get a south side view so you can wake up to that breath-taking ocean view.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
ManagerGS, Guest Service at Crowne Plaza Santo Domingo, responded to this reviewResponded November 14, 2013

Dear D3signguy,

Thanks again for staying with us and we hope to see you soon in your next visit to Santo Domingo.

Reviewed November 12, 2013

The crowne plaza provided me with the comfort and amenities needed to have a pleasant, relax stay in Santo Domingo. Their staff are is friendly and in top of your needs , during your stay. The ocean view offered by their large and clean rooms, is to die for. The internet service is very good , their powerfull shower will make you to think twice to leave it. The restaurant is very good, but a little pricey. The gym may need an update but is good and complete enough to keep the routine. They have a nice casino as well to relax and try your luck!

Room Tip: Get a nice Ocean view facing the Obelisc to the left of the hotel.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
ManagerGS, Guest Service at Crowne Plaza Santo Domingo, responded to this reviewResponded November 13, 2013

Dear Traveler40,

Thank you for taking your time to comment about our hotel. We are pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and that you received a great service. We will be sure to pass your kind words to the Staff, about your comments and service. It's perfect that you enjoyed in the best Hotel Crowne Plaza of the Caribbean.

Our engagement is to provide a quality service with dedication and courtesy, reaffirming our commitment to become "Great Hotels Guests Love".

We look forward to welcoming you on a future stay in Santo Domingo.

Thank again for your preference!!!

Reviewed November 3, 2013

I spent 3 nights at the Crowne Plaza on a business trip to Santo Domingo. First the positives : Large room, pleasant ocean view, breakfast was sufficient for me, friendly and helpful staff and good WiFi/internet. On the negatives : There was limited choice in the restaurant for vegetarian meal options and the meal I tried was not up to standard. There are also limited restaurants within walking distance from the hotel. The hotel is also far from the central business area and the taxi ride in the morning can take up to 30 minutes depending on where you need to go. I probably wouldn't stay again if on business but only for this location reason.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Ross B
ManagerGS, Guest Service at Crowne Plaza Santo Domingo, responded to this reviewResponded November 5, 2013

Dear Ross B,

Thank you for your comment and that you have hosted with us. For our Staff is important to offer the best to our customers.

We regret the fact that You 've had problems with your culinary preference, anyway in our menu we have vegetarian dishes.

We hope to see again on your next visit to Santo Domingo.

Reviewed November 2, 2013

To my knowledge, Crowne Plaza Santo Domingo has substituted Intercontinental V Centenario hotel, where I stayed last year. Good things are, hotel staff is friendly and attentive, rooms have been renovated recently and wi-fi connection has the same god signal quality throughout the hotel. Bad things are, the gym is terrible (it is a small, hot room; fitness apparels are old and lacks ergonomic, ambient music is so loud I could not even hear my iPod) and breakfast is expensive for what is offered. I valued hotels which offer good gyms and unfortunately this is not the case. I was expecting more from Crowne Plaza in this sense. My rating is based on that and on cost/benefit, therefore this is an average hotel in my opinion and I plan to stay somewhere else in my next visit to Dominican Republic.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business

Dear Farmami 2012,

Thank you for taking the time to write to us and let know us your stay in the hotel. For our staff is very important to offer quality, friendly and experienced service.

We regret the situation of the gym, we have been renewing the equipment for our guests comfort and feel that you have not filled your expectations.

Always you are welcome to stay with us on your next visit to the city of Santo Domingo.

Reviewed October 14, 2013 via mobile

This is a good Crown Plaza. Good wifi connection.
The rooms are nice and clean. The staff is friendly and the location is good.
The only bad point is the $20 breakfast (not worth it).
I recommend this hotel for your travels to Santo Domingo.

• Stayed: October 2013
ManagerGS, Guest Service at Crowne Plaza Santo Domingo, responded to this reviewResponded October 15, 2013

Dear Alexmagic,

Thak you for your comments and we are pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and that you feel received a great service.

Domingo.