“Food is decent, service is embarassing”
Review of Meson de Luis

Meson de Luis
Ranked #349 of 630 Restaurants in Santo Domingo
Cuisines: Caribbean
Reviewed March 1, 2013

First, we sat down on a table that was full of crumbs and I was expecting to waitress to clean it at least. Absolutely not! When I asked her to clean the table, she stared blankly at me for a few seconds and left. We ordered our food from the menu (I don't even know if you can call it a menu, it's a dirty paper full of spelling mistakes) and we had to wait almost one hour. There were only 3 more customers in the restaurant. That was my second and last visit.

There are newer reviews for Meson de Luis

Reviewed February 7, 2013

There was a group of 15 or so german tourists eating and one other foreign couple. Perhaps the large group overwhelmed them. It took forever to get our food and it was hard to get the "server" to bring you a beer. We had goat and fish and both were bad but neither were cheap. The other reviews indicate that we had an outlier experience but if you are only in the country for a week or two, I won't take the chance.

Reviewed February 5, 2013

There was a group of 15 or german tourist eating and one other foreign couple. Perhaps the large group overwhelmed them.It took forever to get our food and it was hard to get the "server" to bring you a beer. We had goat and fish and both were bad but neither were cheap. The other reviews indicate that we had an outlier experience but if you are only in the country for a week or two, I won't take the chance.

As anopther noted, it is Luis not Lu.

Reviewed February 3, 2013

RIght across the street from the Mercure hotel in the center of the pedestrian Conde paseo. It is obviously a family-run place with everybody helping out. Sure the service is slightly slow, but in a relaxed way not a negligent way. Nice local funky feel to the atmosphere. I can highly recommend the Sancocho although they don't always have it.

Reviewed January 2, 2013 via mobile

First of all, the name is wrong. It's Meson de Luis, not Lu.

This restaurant is perfect in many ways. The proprietor, Luis, is exceptionally friendly and service is with a smile.

If you came to DR and are here to enjoy the country and her offerings, presumably you want to eat her food. That would mean being perplexed why any foreigner would willingly walk into a Hard Rock Cafe or an Italian food chain. If you want to eat local, you can't do better here. Note that what I mean by "local" is that you'll be eating Dominican food but won't be sitting shoulder to shoulder with typical Dominicans. They'll be like minded tourists. Still, what most people want is to experience the cuisine, not eating shoulder to shoulder with the people.

The grouper fish in butter sauce was perfect.

The chulettas (pork chops) crillos was perfect.

Seriously. Both were perfect, so there's really not much more I can say about them. Order either one of them and you'll think you've gone to culinary heaven.

We had the tostones but ordered the rice. We were told that they were out of rice, which most likely meant, they had finished the current pot of prepared rice and it was late enough that they thought another pot would mostly go uneaten. Fair enough. It's a small establishment so I'm sure the profit margin is small.

The tostones might have been perfect. We're not sure. We were using them to soak up the butter and Criollo sauce, so perhaps it was the sauce that was perfect and not the tostones. Maybe both were perfect. There's no way of telling.

We usually don't go to the same restaurant twice unless we profoundly love it, and we're thinking of returning here a second time.

We wanted a mojito but he made us a rum sour which was simply out of this world. It was one of my favorite cocktails abroad, ever.

Luis told us his restaurant had been here since 1986.