“nice place” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #20 of 63 Santo Domingo B&B and Inns
Miami, Florida
“nice place”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2011

I was there only a night but I think the place is nice, well, very nice for the price. Spacious room compared to expensive hotels. Internet in the room, though wired, AC, freezer, cable tv. All that for a cheap price in the colonial zone.

Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Adcastiv

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 21, 2011

For the first time staying at the Roma II, it was okay. The location was great. The staff for the most part was very friendly and accommodating. But besides the elevator not working, the shower leaked water, it was an enjoyable stay. The hotel and the room was clean. The bed was very comfortable. I

Room Tip: Do early online comparison research and ask others
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank tripndc
Oakland, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 11, 2011

On a return trip to one of my favorite vacation spots, Santo Domingo, I stayed at the Roma Hotel again with a twist. They have opened a new location one block away from the first hotel. My friend and I were trying to stay at the first hotel but they booked us into the new location. I must say that was pleasantly surprised even more than on my first visit. This location had modern facilities, decor and was a great improvement over the first location at the same price. I was booked into a single full room which goes for $55/night because they were out of the single rooms. This worked to my advantage because they still charged me $45/night. I had a sofa-love seat and a table that sat 8 in the room. The rooms come with 27in flat screens, a safe, fridge, king size bed, airconditioning, and granite top bathrooms with hot running water. When I say hot I mean scalding. It was strange though because my friend who was on the same floor as I was, got luke warm at best after running the water for 45 minutes. I think it may be the luck of the draw but had I not had hot water, that would not deter me from staying there again. I was very pleased with my stay. The staff was very helpful and accomodating. I can't really say anything negative about it because for $45 bucks a night it was a great deal. The location is still along El Conde', the hotel feels safe and comfortable and I highly recommend it for those visiting.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank carlytee
Washington DC, District of Columbia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2011

I've stayed here 3 times already. I stayed at the new Roma last month and there was no generator, the internet was down most of my trip, and the water was cold. Fortunately, they had a ray of sunshine at the front desk named Yani. She did not tell me what she thought I wanted to hear, she told me the truth and she spoke excellent English. She told me that since the hotel was new, there are some growing pains, but she told me by the time I return to Santo Domingo, which was in another 4 weeks, all would be repaired with the exception of the elevator. The power outage caused my food in the refrigerator to spoil and I needed access to the internet for business purposes.

On my return trip, which was 18-21 March 2011, I decided to stay in the original Roma, off of calle Duarte y El Conde. I went to visit Yani to say hello and she informed me that not only was the generator installed, the internet in the new hotel was now working properly as well. I planned on booking my next visit there at the new hotel.

All went well on my recent visit until I realized that I mistakenly informed the front desk I would be checking out on March 22 instead of March 21. After pointing this out and showing my flight information to multiple front desk personnel, Edmund (or Edwin), was kind enough to speak to his supervisor who was also kind enough to recognize the mistake. Originally they wanted me to take the loss, citing a sentence on the checkin form thta says after payment is received, there are no refunds. However, both Edmund and his supervisor made the right customer decision and offered me a choice of a one day refund, or a free night. I chose the free night and they put it in writing for me.

The nightmare began at checkout. During my stay, it always took me a few seconds to get the safe to open because the knob gave resistance whenever I turned it. Just before I was ready to jump in the car and go to the airport, the safe would not open at all. My passport, wallet, and cell phones were inside. I went to the front desk and maintenance staff had to pull it off the wall and could not get it open. The manager on duty told me that it would cost me 200 pesos for them to take it downstairs to the hardware store to have it opened. They said the reason for this is because the safe worked when I used it before and now it is not working. I HIT THE ROOF. I was pissed. At this point it was 2 hours before my flight was to depart and I'm being hit for money over equipment that I did not break and did not own??!?!?!?! I knew that the owner was in town and asked for him, but they tried to tell me he left town. Sure, like I was supposed to believe he flew in from overseas for a day, then left. Eventually, one of the store employees was able to get the safe open by entering some universal pin number on the keypad (which is a security nightmare of another kind) and the safe opened. I had to pay him for the hotel's ragged piece of a safe.

I travel at least 20 times a year for business and pleasure. I work in the national security field and besides the issue with the safe's keypad having a universal code that anyone with inherent knowledge can enter and crack it open (thus rendering the point of storing anything in the safe useless), I was more disgruntled by the way the situation was handled by management. I probably spend $20,000 - $30,000 in international and domestic travel annually and have never been treated like a pest as opposed to a guest. I have never previously had any problems with the staff at Aparta Roma Hotel, but this last visit makes me want to reconsider ever staying there again. To top it off, I heard a vicious rumor that the beloved Yani - whom many American and European tourists are appreciative to have working there, was fired because the hotel wants to diversify its staff with Dominicans. I applaud this hotel for being one of the few businesses in Santo Domingo that proudly hires hard working, multi-lingual Haitian personnel. However, if this turns out to be true and Yani was indeed fired. I will not spend another dime of my money in this place.

Stayed March 2011, traveled solo
4 Thank MENIIERE

Travelers are raving about these Santo Domingo hotels

Oakland, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 27, 2010

I had read the previous reviews on this hotel and must say that they measured up with the hotel. Great bargain for the location. Environment was safe. The hotel staff were very attentive. The room was spacious, air conditioning worked well, with hot water in the shower, nice closet with safe, fridge was able to accomodate several bottles of water, juice, soda, and bag of ice and bed slept well. I was on the second floor and the wireless internet worked as well as the internet cable. Room was cleaned daily. Can be a little noisey outside with live music playing and lots of talking and laughter but it was not distracting. It's a short walk to historical spots honoring Chrisopher Columbus, the first hospital, Chinatown, gambling casinos and other interesting tourist spots. Taxis are available at the door as well (just make sure you negotiate the price for the ride before sitting down). You have great restaurants in the area that feature authentic Dominican foods as well as a grocery store across the street and a mini department store on the corner. If you want to see how the locals live, this is a great hotel to consider. I would definitely recommend and would stay there again.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with friends
Wilmington,NC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 28, 2010

My husband and I spent one night here before leaving the DR to head back to the US. The hotel was perfectly located one store building off El Conde on Duarte. This hotel is not to be confused with the Hotel Roma on the other side of Santo Domingo. Our driver tried to take us there first and it is not so great a section of town. The Aparta Hotel Roma is in a great area. We were able to walk a block over to the Parque Colon and it was a 6 minute walk to almost everything else there is to see in the Zona Colonial. The hotel was very clean, safe and well laid out especially for $45 a night. The desk attendants all spoke English. The hotel has a public bathroom with shower for those travelers arriving before check-in and they will store your bags. The lobby has Wi-Fi and the rooms have free internet connection cables. We stayed in a Standard room which includes a double bed, sitting area, private bathroom, TV, internet connection and dorm room size fridge. There were only two draw backs about the hotel. They do not have phones in the rooms and they only accept cash. However no money is required to reserve the room just pay in cash on arrival. There are two ATM machines on the out side of the grocery store, one building up from the hotel where we got Pesos and another ATM inside the store across the street from the hotel. The hotel accepts both US$ or DR Pesos. The front door of the hotel gets locked at 9pm but the desk attendant will buzz you in just by ringing the bell to the right of the door.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Shepherd22
St. Domingo
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2010

They have good clean spacy rooms for 45 US$/night. With company rebate you might get down to 40 US$/night ...you can't beat that price for a location right next to "el Conde", which is the pedestrian mile of la zona colonial. Many of the people working for NGOs in Haiti seem to come back frequently to this place on weekends or for a short rest.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business