“Enchanting” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Pat'e Palo European Brasserie

Pat'e Palo European Brasserie
Ranked #3 of 587 Restaurants in Santo Domingo
Good for: Large groups, Romantic, Scenic view, Bar scene, Families with children, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Brunch, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Digital Payments, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Private Dining, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Television, Valet Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: The First Tavern of the Americas, est.1505 Exquisite Cuisine, Casual Ambiance
Port of Spain, Trinidad
“Enchanting”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 22, 2013 via mobile

The Colonial District is so beautiful and this restaurant is implanted in the beauty. Enough to make for a history class with an extraordinary gastronomical experience. The staff were so attentive and the meal was memorable. My driver recommended it and it was certainly an indication of his previous references.

• Visited February 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
CapitanPatePalo, Public Relations Manager at Pat'e Palo European Brasserie, responded to this review, June 24, 2013
Dear Nikkij N,

Thank you for your review, indeed the Colonial Zone has so much history on each of its walls and it has this magical touch that makes you fall in love with it. We are glad to know that you enjoyed the Pat'e Palo experience which is what we try to deliver to all of our visitors.

We hope to see you around soon,

Best regards,

Cabrera, Dominican Republic
“Relaxed, Elegant Atmosphere with Exquisite Cuisine”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 19, 2013

I took the family here last evening for a celebration. It was the perfect place to go. The ambiance (we sat outside) was relaxed since it is a stones throw from Diego Columbus' house (yes, Christopher Columbus' son). The service was speedy without being annoying and the food...ah, the food...simply yummy. One of the best meals I've had in years! Everyone at the table was very happy with their drinks and meals. I had the salmon (see menu)

• 5 of 5 bubbles
CapitanPatePalo, Public Relations Manager at Pat'e Palo European Brasserie, responded to this review, July 1, 2013
Dear VillaCastellamonte,

We truly appreciate your review and at the same time we are very pleased to know that you enjoyed the time with your family in our restaurant, we work hard every day to deliver the best Pat'e Palo experience to all of our guests.

We hope to see you soon around here as our Chef will be introducing new recipes into our menu.

Best Regards,

Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic
“Great food in a very romantic setting”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2013

Great food by Chef Savio. One of the best places you can go if you want to sit outside and enjoy the beauty of the Colonial Zone of Santo Domingo.

• Visited April 2013
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
CapitanPatePalo, Public Relations Manager at Pat'e Palo European Brasserie, responded to this review, June 18, 2013
Hello Juan C,

We appreciate your comments, thank you very much for your review. Saverio is always working on new recipes and dishes to bring the best combination and balance of flavours and tastes to our guests.

Certainly Dominican Republic has so many beautiful spots to visit and we were priviledge of getting this great spot in Plaza España.

We are looking forward to your next visit,

Santo Domingo
“My Magical Spot”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2013

For me Pate' Palo is the best restaurant in the DR, the food is exquisite, the service is beyond perfect, so warming to everyone. I feel so spolied everytime I come, everybody is so nice, the view of the colonial zone is just a reflect of the paradise DR was on the ancient times, for me Pate' Palo is just my second home.

Flavia. U

• 5 of 5 bubbles
CapitanPatePalo, Guest Relations Manager at Pat'e Palo European Brasserie, responded to this review, June 17, 2013
Hello Flavia,

Thank you for the review, we appreciate that you have such a good concept of our restaurant as that is exactly what we are trying to deliver to all of our guests. Indeed our island is a paradise, we hope you come back soon to your second home, we will be wating for you.

Best Regards,

Carlos.
carlos@patepalo.com
Denver, Colorado
“Good enough for the World Bank, but maybe not for you”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 11, 2013

Tonight's goat shank and dessert sampler were the best dishes I have had on this business trip to Santo Domingo. Yet Pat'e Palo is not perfect. It does not serve typical or traditional Dominican Republic cuisine. Most people will probably deem it unworthy of the extremely high prices. The service was also dismally poor.

First to the service. Think of "customer service" the way the IRS does. The wait time for my first course was indeed about the same needed to get a live human at an IRS call center, about 75 minutes. The full meal: nearly three hours. I had to ask for my waiter four times; two time for water refills on this very hot evening.

The waiters wear red scarves on their heads. When I inquired, they said it was to evoke the image of crew members of Christopher Columbus' voyage. Columbus' son, Diego Colon, lived one block away from the restaurant in the early 1500s. During that time, he become governor and viceroy of the indies. Don't be fooled the head scarves. Both Christopher and Diego received faster meals and better service. On the other hand, as viceroy, Diego had a dungeon and capital punishment available to him. Tonight, I only had a fork.

Prices are higher than the local summer temperatures. If you are on expense account, great. Send your boss the bill. In fact, at the table next to me tonight were 15 employees of the World Bank. One was a woman they referred to as "professor." Just out of curiosity, if your boss is the World Bank, who really pays the check?

If you are not a rich World Banker, prepare to pay New York City prices here in Santo Domingo. Even without wine, the meal can run $100 a person. According to the World Bank's website (yes, I did that on purpose), the average citizen here makes about $5,240 per year. So tonight, those 15 World Bank employees had a meal that would take the average D.R. resident 3.5 months to earn. Let me poke them again: according to different World Bank data, they can feed several entire families is sub-Saharan Africa for a year at that price.

This left a bad taste in my mouth. I came looking for something authentic. I wanted to see and taste a slice of true Dominican Republic cuisine. Instead I found red headscarves and French onion soup on the menu. Every city has one or more destination restaurants like Pat'e Palo. I wish I had not found Santo Domingo's version.

Capping off the experience, my handsome red-scarfed waiter haggled for a larger tip. I had left 20% and was heading back to my hotel. He lectured me on how it was not enough, since 10% goes to the cooks, host, and expeditors. I thanked him in my best Colorado English and waked away. This review would be so much easier to write if the goat was gamey and tough. It was probably the best goat I've ever had.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
CapitanPatePalo, Public Relations Manager at Pat'e Palo European Brasserie, responded to this review, June 14, 2013
Dear Mr. LobstaSlaya

We would like to thank you for your review, we truly apologize for not reaching your expectations as we are not a 100% Dominican restaurant nor have 100% Dominican food in our menu, we are a European Brasserie therefore we could have never filled your expectations. We would recommend Meson de Bari on Hostos street for, about 4 blocks away, local cuisine.

The Pat'e Palo experience can be as you desire, from US$25 up to US$100 dollars, we give our guests the option to create their own experience, as we cater to many diferent types of customers.

Regarding the service we know that lately we have some flaws but we are working hard on improving it and give our guests the experience that characterizes us. We absolutely count on reviews like yours to help us in identifying these flaws. I assure you that this situation is being handled with the utmost concern from our management.

I would also like to thank you for sharing your review on our other restaurant Lulu Tasting Bar, our new brand, in the old Cafe Bellini location. We are striving to make both locations destinations to remember and with your reviews positive or negative we can make this happen.

Tania