“My New Home Away from Home in Santo Domingo”

Radisson Hotel Santo Domingo
Ranked #12 of 79 Hotels in Santo Domingo
Reviewed September 22, 2012

I stayed in this hotel two weeks ago on my first trip to Santo Domingo while on weekend get-away with two friends. I frequently travel domestic and abroad for both business and pleasure and I have to say this was one of the best hotels I have ever stayed in. The staff is friendly, warm and extremely service oriented. My room was large, clean, modern, with a very,very,very clean bathroom with great toiletries and the beds are VERY comfortable. If you are a first time traveler to DR and speak little or no Spanish I highly recommend this hotel. The staff speaks English; they can exchange currency for you; they have an easily accessible business center; and they have taxi's that are safe and will take you to where you need to go with no fuss.

I felt very cared for in Hotel Plaza Naco as if I were staying with family. Don't forget to say hello to Johnny and Alex they will ensure you are getting great service.

This hotel is great for both vacation stays and for business travelers as they have free Wi-Fi in all the rooms and around the hotel which is not common in most hotels when traveling abroad.
The breakfast buffet has a nice spread of fresh pastries, breads, an omelette bar, cereals, oatmeal, juices and other breakfast favorites like eggs, ham, cheeses, fruit, potatoes, traditional DR food, etc. There's also a quaint pastry cafe if you are looking for a lighter meal.

The hotel is located in the heart of Santo Domingo and a cab ride to get to the historic district. And cabs are very inexpensive. I think this a great hotel to stay in if you are looking for a great price with exceptional service. And if you are looking for "American type of accommodations" stay here!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends

Reviewed September 11, 2012

This is my 2nd stay at Hotel Naco Plaza. I was there about a month ago when many of the renovations were taking place. This is a gem of a find in Sto. Domingo, close to everything. The rooms are great, spacious with flat screens and rain showers. This time I was upgraded to a suite, and I wish I had more people with me to enjoy it. Beautiful living room and dining area. The bedroom had soothing sound machine, flat screen and foot and neck massagers, robe and all. I could have stayed there all day! The breakfast was also awesome, made to order omelletes, fresh croissants, real fruit juices, hot and cold cereals and the best cafe con leche. Free WIFI also huge plus! The staff is hard working and willing to please, from getting a taxi to money exchange. You always feel safe, important as a single female traveler. Definetely my place to stay when traveling to the DR.

Room Tip: So far both regular room and suite are great. But if you can splurge on a Suite, won't regret.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed August 5, 2012

I have stayed in this hotel sometimes and last time really noticed that it really needs some maintenance. For examples:
- Elevators constantly jamming
- Constant blackouts
- leaking air conditioning

The location is really good for me, the price is OK and the room are big. Breakfast is OK and their GYM is really good.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
HotelPlazaNaco, Ecommerce at Radisson Hotel Santo Domingo, responded to this reviewResponded August 8, 2012

Dear Mr. Del Monte

It´s a pleasure to contact you on behalf of all staff of the Hotel Plaza Naco, Santo Domingo Midtown. Also, we thank you for choosing our facilities and take the time to discuss your experience during your stay, we really appreciate it. We are in a process of restructuring and improvements our physical plant, which we are sure will be experienced by you in your next visit.

Best regards,

Luis Báez Del Río
Gerente General
HOTEL PLAZA NACO

Reviewed July 16, 2012

Recently renovated hotel. Beautiful lobby and rooms. Breakfast included. Enjoyed the variety of the breakfast. Good location. Near several malls and shopping areas.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank tobedla
Reviewed July 11, 2012

The rooms are re-modeled with very excellent taste, the staff make you feel like you were at home and the restaurant's food is the best with an excellent service. I recommend this hotel to everyone that is going to Santo Domingo as a tourist and busincesss trip.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank Enriqueleon77
Reviewed May 7, 2012

I resided at the Plaza Naco in Santo Domingo, the Dominican Republic, on business. I am an extreme frequent flyer but am surely not extremely demanding. This hotel is well situated for business, definetly not for tourism as it is far from the beach and surely not in walking distance to take any kids to a familiar restaurant, hence treat the remarks hereafter with certain concern. For business travellers, also bear in mind that a couple of new hotels are about to open in the vicinity. It is a 3 star hotel at the best, has an atrium rising to the last floor (I guess some 10 floors) and the extreme smell of cooking rising into your room. All of which would not have disturbed me, if....

Upon my departure, Mr. Frederico Amarante Rodriguez (Gerente Recepcion) confronted me with the accusation of smoking in my room (far right on the fifth floor). I denied it. Without any hesitation, he responded having me on tape. I was shocked and asked whether the hotel seriously has cameras installed in the rooms. It took him a while to realize his grave mistake. Instead he corrected his accusation and claimed I was filmed by a security camera - not specifying where it was. Ironically I was residing on the FIFTH FLOOR. The security camera would have to be in a building accross and still pointed towards the inside of every room. Mr. Rodriguez behaved extremely arrogant and unprofessional and had no hesitation to charge me USD 100, a day rate which I - being in extreme hurry to catch a flight, reluctantly paid as the Security Manager was not available to show it to me.

It is about how you treat a guest, and despite my complaint to management about being filmed in my room, the hotel insisted on charging me the USD 100 fee!! In fact, if on security camera, the hotel would have noticed I exited the hotel to smoke at diverse hours. Maybe that is why the hotel tried to make a buck. Knowing I smoked.

I have never written a review on a hotel, this one compelled me to set some time aside to warn travellers of the impertinence of this insignificant and ungreatful 3 star hotel.

Chris

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business
8  Thank Chris C
Aliana R, Manager at Radisson Hotel Santo Domingo, responded to this reviewResponded May 10, 2012

It is a pleasure to contact you while responding to your concerns.

Our hotel is respectful of the established laws of our country, so we must ensure full compliance of these, in establishing a ban on smoking indoors.

The Hotel Plaza Naco belongs to a current NON-SMOKING hotel, and thereby contribute to the standards of living in harmony, supervised by the Ministry of Tourism.

Concern regarding the location of security cameras, we wish to inform you that all are found only in common areas and service of our hotel.

We are at your disposal,

Best Regards,

Public Relations Department
Hotel Plaza Naco

Reviewed May 5, 2012

We got a major surprise when we checked in 2 children and 2 adults. It was a normal room, but more than fitted us and our excessive luggage for 3 weeks of vacation. We stayed there for more than a week and it was a great base for our days in SDQ.

Breakfast was included and was very nice. The little pool could be better but the kids loved it all the same. Staff was very friendly.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family