“Enjoyable Stay”

Ranked #10 of 79 Hotels in Santo Domingo
Montreal
“Enjoyable Stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 5, 2013

It is my first time in the Dominican Republic and i found the hotel El Embajador to be very good . The Food was amazing - so much variety . I Even had the chance to meet Christopher the Food & Beverage Manager who was very nice and guided in some of our selections. I will gladly visit again this hotel in the future.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Dula I
aurora147289, Director of Sales at El Embajador, a Royal Hideaway Hotel, responded to this review, January 14, 2013
Dear Mrs. Dula,

Thank you for providing feedback on your stay with us at Occidental El Embjador. I am glad to read that overall we met your expectations. Our team, speacilly Mr. Hamra will certainly appreciate the comments received. I just hope you will continue to choose us.

It was a pleasure serving you.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (124)
Miami, Florida
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 20, 2012

The hotel continues to deteriorate quickly. Besides the furnishings being worn and tired, the service is definitely not that of the five-star property it claims to be. On my last visit, it took an hour to change twenty dollars into local currency to pay a taxi because the exchange bank's system was down, the front desk said it was not authorized to exchange currency and the casino (where the front desk said I should go in case they could help) was closed. When I asked to speak to the manager, I was told he was traveling. When I asked for the assistant manager, I was told she was also traveling. When no other option was offered, I asked to speak to the manager on duty and waited until a front office manager came to talk to me. He ultimately authorized the front desk to change the twenty dollars. While we were talking in the lobby, I pointed out the dirt and ashes that had gone uncleaned around the lobby sofas. That evening, while having dinner in the restaurant, from which I had a view of the lobby and pool areas, I witnessed a man running from the lobby into the gardens by the pool, followed by a group of security guards with weapons drawn. The waiter eventually told me that the first person was a thief who had robbed someone in the casino, for which he was chased by the gun-toting guards but ultimately not caught. The casino itself appears to attract some rather shady characters and prostitutes. So far, I have only described issues in the hotel's public areas, so you can imagine I also have lots to say about the rooms.

Room Tip: The executive floor is only slightly better than the others, though not sure that it is worth the ra...
1 Thank santiago305
Dear Mr. Santiago.
We are always open to guest feedback, as it helps us improve our facilities and customer service.

For over half a century, the Hotel El Embajador has been recognized as the number one hotel in the city of Santo Domingo, and we try to keep our classic look as modern and neat as possible. It is a pleasure for me to announce you, that we already started a complete renovation of our rooms and public areas.
As for all the inconveniences you experienced with us, we truly apologize, and your concerns were discussed with the departments involved. However it’s my responsibility to share with you and the community that El Embajador is well recognized for its official’s visits from Presidents, Princess and well recognized International Artists because of its High Standards in Security.
We do understand that the purpose of your trip was business, and the receptionists would have gladly helped you get the money required, if availability permitted.
Please know that the local Bank we have in our facilities, it is not property of the hotel, and we do not regulate its schedule, but after being opened all day, at a certain hour it is closed.
I hope that we have the opportunity to host you again in order for you to experience our new and renovated facilities.
Washington, District of Columbia, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 20, 2012

I love this place! The service is outstanding, the food is great, and the stay is always memorable.

The breakfast buffet is the best in town. There are many places to stay in Santo Domingo but we always decide on the Embajador and have never been disappointed.

Highly recommend!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Maria T
Dear Mrs. Maria.

Thank you for providing feedback on your stay with us; I am glad to hear that we met your expectations100%. It was a pleasure serving you and thanks for continue to choose us.
Miami, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 27, 2012

I stay at this hotel as frequent as once a month due to business travel. It is an excellent hotel to stay. Great service. Every once in a while you have a mishap, but it is corrected. If you have a problem, talk to the closest supervisor and to Aurora. They will get it fixed quickly. The employees are good but some are excellent: Aurora-the manager, Carmona-lobby bartender and Victor- handling the omelet station every breakfast. I always liked a place where people remember me and what I order.

Other things:
TV is good.
Free Wifi with no hassles to sign on is great. This might be the only hotel in SD that does this.
Food is good and affordable.
If you are having a Presidente, get it from the lobby bar. It’s really cold.
Good business center.
Rooms are ok. I know they are going to start remodeling them.

If you want a well-known business hotel with history and legitimacy, stay here.

1 Thank C R
aurora147289, Director of Sales at El Embajador, a Royal Hideaway Hotel, responded to this review, November 29, 2012
Dear Mr. C. R

First of all I want to thank you for taking the time to write about your stay at Occidental El Embajador,
And for giving us such a high punctuation. It is always great to know that frequent travelers like you, really enjoys staying at our hotel. It was a pleasure serving you and hoping to see you I a near future!
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 16, 2012

If it wasn't for the coffee table book and the TV i would have no idea where I was by being in this room. So bland. Comfortable but bland.

The food is good, the pool lovely as are the grounds...the staff are also friendly. I just want something a little bit more unique in properties like this that make me feel like I am in somewhere different.

Is it five star as rated here? I would say 4 star...but for me it's not as high as that.

I don't speak spanish and the amount of staff who speak no English is high. A 5 star hotel should be multi lingual.

1 Thank PhilipBloom
aurora147289, Director of Sales at El Embajador, a Royal Hideaway Hotel, responded to this review, November 21, 2012
Dear Mr. Phillipe,

First of all I will like to thank you for taking your time and write regarding your stay at Occidental El Embajador in Santo Domingo.
It is nice to hear that our staff services meet your expectations and that you found our pool and grounds just lovely, and so the food.
However, it is important to inform you that as early in January 20013, will be renovating all our rooms for a better customer comfort.
Once again we really appreciate your critic and we hope to receive you again in a near future
Boston, Massachusetts, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 13, 2012

My review is for the month of August, when I was working as consultant for the World Bank. It was the worst time to have stayed at this hotel as every dignitary decided this was the place to stay during the DR president's inauguration. I felt that I was lost in the shuffle, and made it known to management; Aurora to be exact, via an email.

Not even a few hours later, she provided me with access to the executive lounge on the 5th floor, which you need to upgrade to if you are a business person. She invited me into her executive office to speak to me. Seriously! She offered to move me to a higher floor when the festivities were done. I ended up not taking her up on that offer as I got settled on the second floor.

A few mentions
1. Wi fi is super fast and the tv has all the channels you are use to in the U.S.
2. The pool area might be the best in the country with some of the best landscaping you will find.
3. Service is classic. I felt like Hyman Roth. Shoe shine kits and sponges every morning!
4. The hotel lobby has a 50's look; playing on it's rich past. Rooms have older furniture, but amenities are modern, and again reliable wI-FI EVERYWHERE and free.!!!
5. If you have any discomfort, management is serious about being attentive. I will take a staff of employees ready to do anything to improve your stay than empty promises from another hotel.
6. Front desk and business lounge staff are all fluent English speakers!
7. They can arrange cars for you and make sure that you aren't over charged.
8. Breakfast was decent. Fruit could have been fresher, but overall good stuff including an omelet bar.

This hotel definitely fits the business traveler. Having meetings here adds a sense of respect and class. You automatically win points with your business counter parts. If you have any issues, check in with management. Although they have a great pool, I am not sure it is super kid friendly. The gym is clean and modern.

Make sure to upgrade to the executive lounge especially if you need to meet with people. I would avoid staying on anything less than the 4th or 5th floor. I did not hear birds in my room, but you could hear them in the front of the hotel.

An English speaking staff makes this a go to place. The casino is ehhhh. No entertainment found in there and it is fairly bare bones. Security is top notch and parking is very easy. Italian and Chinese food restaurants are located right next door along with a salon and spa. McDonald's is down the block.

What started out frustrating in the beginning because of this huge event turned out to be a very comfy stay. I can see why all the dignitaries chose the hotel. Any issues speak with management seriously! It can make all the difference. Your NYC/Cambridge, MA trip adviser! Go crimson!

Room Tip: above or at 4th floor, upgrade if possible.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank DionMB
aurora147289, Director of Sales at El Embajador, a Royal Hideaway Hotel, responded to this review, November 15, 2012
Dear Mr. Dion,

First of all I will like to thank you for writing about your experience with us during your stay in the month of august.
It is nice to hear that we met your expectations’ and that our services suited your business travel life.

This positive critic is very valuable for me and for all our staff.

Hoping to receive you again in near future.
Flower Mound, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 10, 2012

I stayed here for a couple of days while in business. It is a hotel I believe from the 50's and you can see some old furniture in the rooms, but with a flat screen TV and and fast wifi. Made me feel in the past with the commodities of the present. Free Wifi makes me a happy camper.
Local calls are expensive, about 2 dollars a minute so watch out.
The restaurant Porche I believe is called, serves great pasta at dinner. The breakfast buffet was ok, I would like to see more local variety.
The pool is beautiful. I also spent some time at the casino where you have a chance to meet the locals and have lots of fun.

1 Thank bambamgp
aurora147289, Director of Sales at El Embajador, a Royal Hideaway Hotel, responded to this review, November 22, 2012
Mr. Bambam.

First of all thanks for writing regarding your stay at Occidental El Embajador in Santo Domingo.
It is my pleasure to inform you that this property was built in 1956 by a Dominican Dictator named Trujillo. We are the most Iconic and Emblematic hotel of the city were most of the Presidents, Princess and artist around the world have stayed.
Overall we are happy that we meet your needs and we hope to host you again in a near future.