El Embajador, a Royal Hideaway Hotel
Boutique Hotel Palacio(Santo Domingo)
$69
$75
Barcelo Santo Domingo(Santo Domingo)
$89
$119
$162
$67
$129
$94
$152
  • Breakfast included
Casas del XVI(Santo Domingo)
$288
$219
1,182 results
All reviewsgarden tentdominican republicbusiness centerpool sidevisit santo domingobusiness tripspecial thanksnice poolbreakfast buffet isgreat customer serviceparrotsfloorweddingrenovationcasinofranciscoconvention
Reviewed November 10, 2012

I stayed here for a couple of days while in business. It is a hotel I believe from the 50's and you can see some old furniture in the rooms, but with a flat screen TV and and fast wifi. Made me feel in the past with the commodities of the present. Free Wifi makes me a happy camper.
Local calls are expensive, about 2 dollars a minute so watch out.
The restaurant Porche I believe is called, serves great pasta at dinner. The breakfast buffet was ok, I would like to see more local variety.
The pool is beautiful. I also spent some time at the casino where you have a chance to meet the locals and have lots of fun.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank bambamgp
aurora147289, Director of Sales at El Embajador, a Royal Hideaway Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 22, 2012

Mr. Bambam.

First of all thanks for writing regarding your stay at Occidental El Embajador in Santo Domingo.
It is my pleasure to inform you that this property was built in 1956 by a Dominican Dictator named Trujillo. We are the most Iconic and Emblematic hotel of the city were most of the Presidents, Princess and artist around the world have stayed.
Overall we are happy that we meet your needs and we hope to host you again in a near future.

Reviewed November 8, 2012

This hotel has been a great place to stay.

GOOD +++
Stuff is helpful and nice.
Food great.
Shower drain well - I point of this because most hotel problems it this.
Gym has few machines bt works.
Hotel is not new but it is well handle.
High Speed Wi-Fi

BAD ---
Room I was there 406 was with carpet and seems to be never vacum and some parts seems burnst- attached picture .
Room pointing to main entrance has a very birds sounds until late at night .. no bid deal but on te weeked I was there, it was like a party in front of hotel thah did not let me sleep.
Main road to entrance hotel does not have lights at night and appears to be scary. I walked here and does not feel safe ** but I never got any problem and i walked all nights.

Room Tip: Tried to get a non- main hotel entrance view because night parties on weekends will disturb you.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Juan_Alejandro

Dear Mr. Juan,

Thank you for choosing Occidental El Embajador in Santo Domingo and for writing about your experience with us.
We are thrilled to hear that most of all we meet your expectations. However regarding some of the points you just mentioned, I am excited to inform you that in January we are starting a total renovation of our rooms and all carpets will be removed.
Also I will like to inform you that El Embajador location is in the most secure neighborhood in the city.

We look forward to seeing you soon

Reviewed October 27, 2012

Built in 1955, the Occidental El Embajador must have been a stunner, but the look today is very dated.

The first room I was given overlooked the Hotel's Power/Utility facility and the noise was incredibly LOUD, like a city transit bus!

The second room faced the garden/pool and was suitably quiet. The room was large, with a king-size bed and comfy pillows and the bathroom had been remodeled. However, the electrical outlets were worn out and would not retain the plugs for my laptop and phone chargers.

The A/C was fine, and the walk-in closet was large and had an ironing board and a safe for storing valuables. While there was an in-room router providing a very strong WiFi signal, the internet connection was iffy, good one hour then slow or none the next. Ditto for the lobby.

The buffet breakfast was very good, but monotonous after the 2nd day.

I chose this hotel for its proximity to our office, but would not stay there again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the garden/pool area.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank RichRR
aurora147289, Director of Sales at El Embajador, a Royal Hideaway Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 29, 2012

Dear Mr. Rich,

First and foremost I would like to thank you for Visiting Occidental El Embajador. Please accept my sincere apologies for not covering your expectations during your stay.
As you just mentioned, our property was built in 1956, and we are the Iconic and most Emblematic hotel in the city. At the moment we are starting a complete renovation of our hotel in order to offer a more suitable comfort to our business travelers.
Hoping that someday in near future you can be able to experience the changes will make regarding our rooms.

It will be a pleasure serving you.

Reviewed October 25, 2012

I stayed at this hotel on a business trip and was quite sick with a case of the flu while I was there. I was so happy to have fast room service and a good night's sleep at this lovely hotel! I got the rest that I needed before my return trip back to New York. I was also pleasantly surprised by the reasonable cost of room service. The food was fine, but the price was fabulous! I was also happy to have a continental breakfast and fast checkout service all available on my floor. I could have gone downstairs for a hot breakfast, but I wasn't up to it, anyway. This is a great place for a business traveler that is looking for comfort and convenience while in Santo Domingo!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Cat Y
aurora147289, Director of Sales at El Embajador, a Royal Hideaway Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 26, 2012

Dear Mrs. Cat Y,

We would like to thank you for the effort and time you took in sharing your comments surrounding your experience at Occidental El Embajador. We are very happy to know that we met your expectations and that your stay with us was very pleasant.
Once again, thanks for choosing us and hoping to see you in a near future.

Reviewed October 13, 2012

Amazing hotel, beautiful rooms, was the little things that really made the difference, and the staff were simply fantastic. Great recommendations for dinner ,We would definitely stay here again. We recommend it strongly. You will not be disappointed
And a special thank you for Christopher Hamra for his hospitality .......

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank marco_ab1981
aurora147289, Director Comercial at El Embajador, a Royal Hideaway Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 14, 2012

Dear Mr. Marco,

Thank you so much for sharing to others the great experience you had during your stay at Occidental El Embajador and noticing our great Restaurants, Rooms and Excellence in Service.

All our Staff and specially Mr. Hamra was really happy to assist you.

Hoping to see you soon!!

It was a pleasure serving you!