“Serious service issue”

Hodelpa Nicolas de Ovando
Ranked #13 of 80 Hotels in Santo Domingo
Reviewed February 4, 2014

I'm Platinum in SPG, Diamond in both Hyatt and Hilton, and originally was quite excited at my first experience of Accor brand throught his hotel, but I ended up with disappointed in their service.

Just after I took shower, while I was in the middle of wearing clothes, some hotel staff entered without knocking, saw me half naked, started laughing loud and left the room without apologizing. I was stunned, first at the occasion itself, and second how the hotel is treating the guest especially when it was obviously unacceptable occasion. I immediately complained to the duty manager and she agreed that this should had not happened and would see what she could do with her general manager of the hotel.

The general manager came up with a free drink coupon with a letter. The coupon, however, was cleaned by the housekeeper another day. So I feel that I was humiliated by this hotel even twice.

Rooms are more tourists friendly, not for business travellers. Room with historic structure are interesting, but internet is slow and room is too dark. A/C is strong and a bit noisy, so at night I had to get up to turn off A/C.

Still the hotel has a great location for tourist - heart of colonial town. Very easy access to the historic town and safe to walk around. Lots of restaurants and bars around.

However, I won't return to this hotel again.

Room Tip: Rooms inside to the pool area would be quieter
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
3  Thank freqtravelbiz

Reviewed January 28, 2014

The hotel has an incredible service and the location can not be better. It is a history and coloniality behind of what is left of the wall of colonial Santo Domingo. The rooms are comfortable, luxury with simplicity, but they need updating, good internet and reliable service. The ambiance is unique by the pool at evenings.

Room Tip: The hotel needs updating, spa and banking facilities to become a much better facility.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank FGJCaribe
DenisMatas, Directeur général at Hodelpa Nicolas de Ovando, responded to this reviewResponded July 19, 2014

Dear Sir,

We very much appreciate your comments regarding your stay at the MGallery Santo Domingo Nicolas De Ovando. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.

Reviewed January 22, 2014

This hotel is a real gem in the Zona Colonial of Santo Domingo. Everything is just great - from the authentic building with excellent rooms in colonial style to the outstanding service in the restaurant and all over the hotel. This hotel exceeded my expectations! I have no single negative comment. Originally we thought about having dinners in the city, but after our first night dinner we were so impressed by the restaurant and food, that we ate there all three nights we stayed in Santo Domingo. All dishes were delicious and the service - perfect. We enjoyed breakfasts as well,
Many thanks to all staff who was involved in making our stayng so great, especially to Francesco!

Room Tip: we stayed in the colonial style room facing the Calla Las Damas. I also checked the modern room and...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Vlad K

Reviewed January 18, 2014

I stayed there to celebrate my husband's birthday, all the personnel went out of their way,giving more than just what is expected, beyond that, going the extra mile, I requested a room with a beautiful view and they gave us an spectacular, amazing room, with a breathtaking view on one side to the river and the other end, it was the inner patio, with a fountain. I told them it was his birthday, and they gave us a romantic package, with sparkling wine and rose petals in the room and bathroom. They even put some chocolate in a table set ut so nicely, some cigars, We had breakfast in the room, they gave us late checkout, I reserved a table in the restaurant and when we arrived, the table had rose petals in it, a heart shape with petals, candle, etc, Yubelis did an amazing job doing all the arrangements for us, Edison in the parking lot helped me a lot, Luis at the lobby, Jaronis at the restaurant, at the front desk everyone was very helpful. They made it a memorable and unforgettable experience, it is also an amazing location because it is in the heart of the old colonial city, with all the historical monuments nearby, walking distance, definitely recommend this hotel. Thanks again everyone for all the effort

Room Tip: Request a room with a view to the inner patio, overlooking the fountain, and in the backside, the ri...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear Madam,

Reviewed January 17, 2014

Santo Domingo was one of our stop over cities during our tour of the Caribbean in three small aircraft.
Excellent Hotel located in the historic part of Santo Domingo, close to everything
Very friendly, helpful staff.
We stayed there on New Year's Eve, but did not stay in the hotel for the party because we were flying out early the next day.
The party noise was not an issue.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends

Reviewed January 13, 2014

Me and my fiance stayed here for 3 days. Over all this is a nice hotel. Had problems with the reservations made through Expedia and would never book through them again. And a little noisy due to a wedding reception in the courtyard, which was right outside of our door. Other than that the location is great and the staff is wonderful. And one more thing. Breakfast is very expensive!

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank DeSean M
DenisMatas, General Manager at Hodelpa Nicolas de Ovando, responded to this reviewResponded July 15, 2014

Dear Sir,

We strive with my team to provide to our guests a Memorable experience and moments among us.

Denis Matas Calderon

Reviewed January 11, 2014

Went for a night... everything was perfect. We were at Punta Cana, and went by car to 'La Capital" when We arrived the Hostess received Us with a refreshing cold towel... and a tropical juice... just perfect to relax us from 3 hour drive. The room was perfect... the amenities... roger gallet bois d'orange delicious... still keep the body lotion :). The pool delicious, receives the sun almost all day long.

Room Tip: The one a had, was perfect. 2 big beds, view to the river, the room was sound proof, light proof, pe...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple