“Weekend getaway” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #10 of 79 Hotels in Santo Domingo
Dallas, Texas
“Weekend getaway”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2013

I never write reviews, but this has to be done
To start this, you need to know that my wife and I found this hotel here on tripadvisor with a very big discount. We were thrilled at first, but afterwards we came to be very disappointed.
First of all, we were very disappointed. The room had a musty smell that you simply couldn't stand. It was impossible to stay there which made us request a new, better room. A front desk employee approved and apologized and we got another room on the ground floor. In comparison with the first one, this was gold. All the best until next morning when we found termites in our closet and even between our shirts. Needless to say, a full report to the front desk was pointless. We received an answer that was supposed to bring comfort: „We will send somebody”.
The only thing that was more disturbing was the fact that the hotel was supposed to be a 5 star Hotel. But after seeing the low quality of the room we realised it was a fraud. Cheap rooms for cheap rates? To top all these, the food was way too expensive so we didn't have breakfast there. We decided to go in front of the Columbus Place where we ate something.
Without questioning, we checked out for various reasons, mostly because we had to go to Santiago for a wedding, but going back there? Not a chance.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank frsteventx

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (104)
  • Polish first
La Romana, Dominican Republic
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 8, 2013 via mobile

Small rooms in big halls in the former Govenor's headquarters, this hotel strikes a good balence of value to experience.

Perhaps a little overpriced, you are paying to stay in history.

Not unlike a castle in England or a Chateux in France.

Fantastic pool.

Steps from the first Cathedral in the New World.

Indeed, The Spirit of The First Americas.

Spend two nights here and then go stay at the beach.

This hotel gives you historical perspective, but at a price that only will be understood by those who value education.

• Stayed November 2012
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank HRQuadracci
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2013

I've been going to the Dominican Republic for over seven years now, usually 8-10 times per year, to visit friends and my partner. For the entire time, I've wanted to stay in this hotel because of the location and the history, and, ok, for the glamor. Well, I finally had the chance and I'm so happy I did! I can't say enough about the hotel and the staff. They didn't overlook any detail. I found everyone friendly, kind, and completely efficient. I felt as if I was in a calm oasis in the middle of the bustling city. The location is convenient for everything. The beds are amazingly comfortable! I can't wait to go back again!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2013

My husband and I stayed at Hostal Nicolas de Ovando during part of our honeymoon in the Dominican Republic. We booked this hotel based on reviews from Trip Advisor and Travelocity. The hotel did not disappoint. It is located in an historic area of Santo Domingo, and the it was amazing to be able to stay in a legitimate historic hotel :) The hotel has fully modern rooms and amenities, but still maintains its historic character.

Room service, housekeeping, and the front desk all offered amazing service. We felt very safe throughout our stay as well with 24-hour doormen at the doors. Zona Colonial is completely walkable from this hotel, and some of the highest rated restaurants in Santo Domingo are located one block to the north. There was also free wi-fi in all areas of the hotel.

The restaurant in the hotel was good, but maybe overpriced. The only drawback to the room was that we were on the ground floor with our one window facing the pool deck. The only way for us to have privacy was to keep the shutters closed, causing our room to feel very dark for majority of the day. Also, it was nice to have a pool and outdoor space at the hotel, but its location is overlooking a docking area for large cruise ships, so the exhaust from the ships limited the fresh air.

I would definitely stay here again if I am ever back in Santo Domingo, and I will recommend this hotel to anyone I know who is traveling there.

Room Tip: Request a room above the ground floor for more natural light.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank lerczakj
Paris, France
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2013

for a reasonable price : 117 Euros / 155 USD per day
we had a large room with 2 comfortable beds, air conditioning and breakfast included
bath and shower, TV, fridge, free wifi everywhere
I really enjoyed very much this hotel.
It has a soul and it is beautiful.
It is perfectly located, in the best street of Santo Domigo.
This street is clean and full of museums, church, castle, plaza...very close to the cathedral.
For me it is the best location in town. And they have a free parking for the car.
They wil park your car when you arrive.
The staff is friendly and the concierge is very helpful.
The swimming pool is nice and pleasant.
The sport center is small but nice.
The breakfast is very good.
And from the swimming pool area you have a nice view on the river Ozama.
I definitely recommend this hotel.

Just 3 negative things :
the drink at the bar is not so cheap compared to the city prices (8 euros for a cocktail)
the stairs at the bedroom is a little dangerous when you go back from the toilets at night.
I nearly fell and could have twisted my ankle. so be aware.
I had a massage. It was not so cheap : 40 euros per hour and not so good. I would not recommend it.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Jersey City, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2013

Nicolas de Ovando is in a class by itself in Santo Domingo and I've stayed at my share of hotels. Parts are 500 years old and its been beautifully restored. There are numerous salons and patios for privacy or whatever. They deserve all the accolades they received. It is like staying in a museum created by an incredible architect, which Ovando was, amenities included. I stayed in a contemporary room as well as colonial deluxe. The latter would be my choice for future stays.

Breakfast is wonderful. It is a little on the expensive side, though ours was included with the room. We also had lunch once, which I didn't care for. No offense to the chef, who I understand knows his stuff, but I found it a little ostentatious.

The complaint from someone else about the noise by the pool is valid. However, it was only once in a while and not prolonged.

Customer service is the best and I can't think of any unpleasant encounters in the week we stayed there.

Room Tip: They sometimes sell rooms on hotwire; check it out.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thomassimonnet, Manager at Hodelpa Nicolas de Ovando, responded to this review, August 28, 2013
Is an honor for us the time you took to share comments about your stay in the Hostal Nicolas de Ovando, I will definitely share it with my team.

And it is our hope to welcome you back in your next visit.

Your sincerely,

Denis Matas Calderón
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2013 via mobile

When we pulled up thru the old city I was not sure what to expect , other than friends recommended it to us.
As soon as the taxi stopped we were greater by 3 friendly porters Check in was a breeze and we again were greeted by very friendly staff, cool towels and a glass of fresh juice The rooms in the old section were big and well renovated. The AC in the rooms were excellent Great food and bar in the hotel and great friendly people. Clean all the way around the place. The pool also was great to cool off after a long day of traveling and site seeing.
I am glad we opened the cover to this " book"!!!!

Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Is an honor for us that you took the time to express your comments about your stay at the Hostal Nicolas de Ovando. Our team is in constant training for the improvement of our services, is always a pleasure to receive positive feedbacks from our guests.

I really appreciate your words about your experience with us and waiting for your next visit as enjoyable as the previous.

Yours sincerely,