“A gem in Santo Domingo DR” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hodelpa Nicolas de Ovando

Hodelpa Nicolas de Ovando
Ranked #13 of 79 Hotels in Santo Domingo
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“A gem in Santo Domingo DR”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 18, 2013

I stayed at other hotels in Santo Domingo but this is wonderful. In the historic area of Zona Colonial. Do not look elsewhere, have a great dinner too. Good price for the quality although dinner is a bit $$$ for Santo Domingo, nevertheless the menu and the service are impeccable. Breakfast is cosy and very genuine. Relax at the pool and try the massage service. Well priced and excellent. For transportation use hotel transport cars. You have a choice of classic or contemporary rooms. We stayed at the contemporary and just as we wanted. Silent and very safe. Again the staff is wonderful.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Nicola61Ita
Thomassimonnet, General Manager at Hodelpa Nicolas de Ovando, responded to this review, June 19, 2013
We very much appreciate your comments regarding your stay at the Hostal Nicolas de Ovando. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.

Thomas Simonnet

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (109)
  • Polish first
Wilmington, Delaware
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 13, 2013

Elegant, Sophisticated and Wonderful… Hostal Nicolas de Ovando was a refreshing change to most accommodations in Santo Domingo. In my opinion, this is a superior hotel. The service, location and especially the “house” itself is very upscale yet, warm and comfortable. It is like being pampered in a wonderful museum. If I am taking the time to recommend a hotel, I assure you that my experience was flawless. Their service and attention to detail rival the Ritz Carlton, St. Regis or the Viceroy. And I am very loyal to these three names. My complements to the management and the staff of the Hostal Nicolas de Ovando.

I will agree with another reviewer’s comments about some pre-judgment of clientele regarding dress and appearance but, I have found this to be a cultural difference with all of the Dominican Republic. The D.R. is a conservative and formal culture and the “house” has a reputation to protect and an expected superior service to provide so, I understand these pre-judgments.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank LeppFrog
Thomassimonnet, General Manager at Hodelpa Nicolas de Ovando, responded to this review, June 14, 2013

Thomas Simonnet
Alexandria, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 8, 2013

Ovando is a very beautiful hotel nestled in the historical Zona Colonial. The building is several centuries old but it is very well maintained and the rooms are top-notch (well mostly).

When we arrived at 10 at night, we were pleasantly surprised that they have 24-hour doorman service. This is necessary in historic Santo Domingo as there are plenty of locals looking to sell you tours. After entering the hotel, we were greeted with rum punches and were promptly taken to our room.

The room was bigger than I expected, with a desk, large bed (king I think), couple of chairs, etc. The bed was incredibly comfortable! The room had a safe that was large enough for my laptop and all the other electronics/valuables we had. The bathroom was really nice. It had a bathtub and a separate stand-up shower.

The hotel itself is quite beautiful. It reminds you of an old Spanish colonial hacienda with its courtyards complete with planted flowers and bubbling fountains.
There is a cigar bar, a regular bar, and a restaurant on the premises. The regular bar is small but does just fine for the hotel. It is adjacent to the pool and sun deck, which overlook the Ozama River (which unfortunately isn't all that scenic (be prepared to stare at the ferry to Puerto Rico or a decaying Venezuelan cruise ship, among other industrial buildings). View aside, the pool area is quite nice. Be sure to have a drink or two out there to enjoy the night air.

The restaurant is a little pricey but I consider this a convenience fee for not having to deal with the assertive street vendors or self-promoting tour guides or the blazing heat.

The gym is very basic; there is a treadmill, an elliptical trainer, and a stationary bike. There is also a set of free-weights (in kilos, not pounds) but no bench, and one of those "all-in-one" weight machines that don't quite get the job done. The gym was a little disappointing but hey, its not that big of a deal.

We had no issues with the Wi-Fi; it worked just perfectly for us.

There was a slight issue with a leaky shower door that sent water into the bathroom, but it wasn't that big of a deal either.

Having read some of the negative reviews, as I do when crafting my own, I noticed some comments about thievery. While I'm not calling into question the honesty of some of the guests, I do think it is all too easy to blame hotel staff for your own errors. But you should also be aware that this hotel is in a 3rd world country. You aren't staying in Epcot Center; you can't expect to just leave your expensive things laying around and have nothing happen to them.

Enough of that though. To sum up, Ovando was a great hotel and should we return to Santo Domingo, we will definitely be staying here!

2 Thank Cullen M
Thomassimonnet, General Manager at Hodelpa Nicolas de Ovando, responded to this review, June 13, 2013
Is an honor for us that you took the time to express your comments about your stay at the Hostal Nicolas de Ovando. Our team is in constant training for the improvement of our services, is always a pleasure to receive positive feedbacks from our guests.

I really appreciate your words about your experience with us and waiting for your next visit as enjoyable as the previous.

Yours sincerely,

Cambridge, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 2, 2013

I have stayed in the hotel twice, in November 2012 and this past weekend from 29th May to June 2nd. The first stay was good, with the concierge going out of his way to assist my girlfriend, who had arrived a few hours before me. On the basis of that first trip I would hav given the hotel a 4-start rating. However, on my second trip, the lustre faded. Issues: 1. On the Saturday night, I asked the male concierge to book a local restaurant for my girlfriend's birthday celebration. That night, we walked to the restaurant, to be told by the doorman that the restaurant was booked for a private event and there was no booking in our name. We then had to walk quite a distance in the dark to find an alternative place to eat. The concierge left no message for us in our room, and when we complained the next day the other concierge on duty just said sorry but did nothing to make up for an absolutely spoiled evening. 2. The day before, the female concierge had arranged a cab for us to visit the Blue Mall, which is a complimentary service, but she was quite insistent that we must visit the Cartier store (obviously she was on commission) and also she did not give us the ticket for the taxi driver, which led to quite an embarrassing situation when we arrived at the mall. She also made an inappropriate comment to my girlfriend, who was carrying a Carolina Herrera handbag, saying "you have a lot of money to buy that bag" 3. When I booked the room (on booking.com) I specifically requested a room above the ground floor, since the windows open onto Calle las Damas, a busy tourist thoroughfare. However, on arrival we were allocated 3007, which is adjacent to the room we had (also booked on booking.com) on our last trip. Therefore, our privacy was again compromised. 4. Our room was infested by flying termites. The morning after our first night, after the cleaner had been in, we had 6 insects in our sink and others in the shower. Over the next days we saw many in our room. in fact, when I wore a shirt that was stored in the wardrobe I felt bites and quickly removed my shirt and a termite fell out. I had 5 large marks (looked like large mosquito bites) on my neck, shoulder, stomach and arm. 5. We had room service on many occasions, and always after eating I immediately put the food cart outside our door to reduce any possibility of insect activity. However, the cart was still there more than 12 hours later on 2 occasions. We actually found this quite amusing, since throughout our stay we would be disturbed 3 or 4 times during the day, by staff wanting to check the minibar or clean our room before 09:30 when we were still sleeping!

My overall impression is that we were treated like second-class citizens. We were allocated a damp, insect-ridden room on the ground floor that opened onto a busy street, the concierges made inappropriate comments and ruined what should have been a special evening and our dirty dishes were not cleared up for many, many hours. I assume this lack of attention from staff is because we decided to save a bit of money by taking advantage of good rates through booking.com. However, having paid over $600 for 4 nights I expect to receive the same level of service as any other guest, especially as a repeat customer. Despite the fact that I work in Haiti and will be travelling frequently to Santo Domingo over the next 24 months, we will definitely not go back.

Room Tip: Avoid ground floor rooms on Calle las damas at all costs - damp, lack of privacy, termite problem
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank adventure-aid
Plantation, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2013

This hotel is just an oasis in the middle of this very busy town. It is located in the Zonal one of my favorite spots in DR. Well the hotel is just magical as the attention to detail makes a difference. The regular rooms are very comfortable but if you can afford get the colonial room. The breakfast is great as a matter of fact all the food here is way above average for the area. The common area is beautiful and you feel transported to another era.. Nice place to wear your panama and just hang out at the bar. But what really makes this place is the people that works there. Carmen in the front of the house, made us fell at home and she is efficient, professional yet very personable. The wait stuff is great and smiles were everywhere. Dont forget to get some bubble bath soap as their tubs are amazing. Top quality place.

Room Tip: Any room is good but we got a nice one in the 4th floor. Quiet and a little of the streets.
1 Thank cfreitas9944
Thomassimonnet, General Manager at Hodelpa Nicolas de Ovando, responded to this review, June 3, 2013
Dear Guest,

Is an honor for us the time you took to share comments about your stay in the Hostal Nicolas de Ovando, I will definitely share it with my team.

And it is our hope to welcome you back in your next visit.

New York City, New York
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2013

I stayed here for this past Memorial Day weekend for 4 days. I liked the hotel aesthetic and thought that the room was decent for the most part. The service was pretty good too. Alexandra the hotel Guest Relations person was very helpful, so were the people at the front desk and concierge, they were all great. The grounds that the hotel are on are beautiful. Feels like you have been whisked away to another place in time, but with a new age twist...

Now, on to my complaint. Towards the end of my trip I began to notice red itchy bumps on the LEFT side of my body. My left legs and arms are covered with them, as I type this. I found this very strange, and as I continued to scratch them, they got larger and more irritated, of course. At first, I thought that they may have been mosquito bites. But as I packed to leave the hotel, I became more convinced that they were bedbug bites. I tend to sleep on my LEFT side. There is not ONE of these bites on my right side. Mosquitoes bite randomly. But these bites were in a LINEAR pattern, as I know bedbugs are more likely to attack in this way. By the time I returned home on Sunday night, I wanted to jump out of the window because they were itching so badly. UGH! I am not the only one that this happened to, as my companion had these same bites, as we both shared the bed. Between us we probably have at least 40 bites.

I would have given this hotel a 4 rating if this had not have happened.

Now I have had to quarantine everything that I took on the trip for fear that these things may invade my house.

MANAGEMENT: Please have ALL ROOMS checked THOROUGHLY for bedbugs. The mattress was very shoddy and I would NOT be at all surprised if you all were to find something.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank DR_Tripster60763
Sao Paulo, SP
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2013

I went there for business just for one night but that was enough to impress me! Neighborhood a bit scary but when they open the door you enter another atmosphere...
Amazing construction full of history, welcome drink and several small treats like the cool towels and weather forecast note with candy delivered at the door.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business