Hodelpa Nicolas de Ovando
JW Marriott
$79
$134
Hotels.com
Boutique Hotel Palacio(Santo Domingo)
$77
Barcelo Santo Domingo(Santo Domingo)
$89
Hotels.com
$119
$141
$104
$139
$110
  • Breakfast included
Casas del XVI(Santo Domingo)
$259
$223
Hotwire.com
All reviewscolonial roomozama rivercolonial zonefrench embassybeautiful hotelhistoric locationlas damasold cityconcierge deskmodern conveniencesdominican republicplaza espanathe ground floorhistorical sitesthe location is perfectbreakfast buffet isrooms are comfortable
Reviewed March 2, 2013

We stayed here 3 nights as we wanted to experience some of the old town charm before heading to the beaches . The colonial architecture and modern conveniences of the hotel are mixed perfectly and our stay couldn't of been more relaxing. Staff were friendly and efficient. We mentioned it was out honeymoon on the booking but weren't expecting any special treatment. However, we were pleasantly surprised to enter our room and find a collection of goodies including chilled champagne! It's these thoughtful touches that make a stay special and this was a prime example. Beautiful place, highly recommended.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Piers D
Thomassimonnet, General Manager at Hodelpa Nicolas de Ovando, responded to this reviewResponded March 5, 2013

I will share your comments with our team. I am sure that this feedback will serve as an encouragement to all of our staff as we strive to continuously improve the quality of our services, we have a great Guest Relations department that takes care of those details.

Thomas Simonnet

Reviewed February 26, 2013

Was just here for a night, but a really good location right in th middle of the historical/colonial district of the city. Walk out the front door and there are numerous sights to see. Enjoyed dinner in the courtyard area. Makes you feel you aren't in the middle of a large capital city. Service was nice. Rooms are fine. Real attraction is the area, the courtyard, architecture of the hotel, sitting outside in the plaza of the hotel sipping a cocktail or having dinner.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank bret12

Is always a pleasure to receive positive feedbacks from our guests about their experience in the Hostal Nicolas de Ovando and the Colonial City.

I really appreciate your words about your stay with us and waiting for your next visit as enjoyable as the previous.

Yours sincerely,

Thomas SIMONNET

Reviewed February 25, 2013

As you have probably already read, most reviews are good with the odd negative comment here or there. My overall opinion is that this is a nice hotel with a great pool in a lovely setting. The atmosphere here is great too and adds to the overall setting I think. I got a good rate for this hotel as it was on sale (30% off) so of course for me it was good value. The few people in the hotel I dealt with were all very nice although I have to mention that there was a mix up on their side with my airport pickup which was annoying but these things happen I suppose. Overall I would recommend the hotel and if I was returning I would stay here again without doubt.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo

Thank you for taking the time to express your comments about your stay at the Hostal Nicolas de Ovando. On behalf of the airport pick up, I will share this information with concierge department in order to verify what happened and avoid these situations.

I really appreciate your words about your experience with us and waiting for your next visit as enjoyable as the previous.

Yours sincerely,

Thomas SIMONNET

Reviewed February 24, 2013 via mobile

Beautiful colonial architecture with colonial Sto Domingo at your door step. The colonial rooms are spacious and nicely decorated with modern bathroom facilities. An expensive hotel but great for a romantic get-away or celebration. Apparently a davorite for Zfrench businessmen but other tourists as well. A drink around the pool in the evenning is s must.

• Stayed: February 2013

Dear Guest,

Our team is in constant training for the improvement of our services, is always a pleasure to receive positive feedbacks from our guests.
Is an honor for us the time you took to share comments about your stay in the Hostal Nicolas de Ovando, I will definitely share it with my team.

And it is our hope to welcome you back in your next visit.

Regards,

Thomas Simonnet

Reviewed February 22, 2013

We visited Hostal Nicolas de Ovando (HNO) in late Jan 2013 and finally got a chance to seat down and share my experience; it's a tad long, but you might find it useful if considering this hotel when visiting this beautiful island and city.

HNO enjoys a great location, with historic architectural beauty, and a Four Star atmosphere. Most of their clientele is European or Argentinean and on business travel; therefore, you will not come across friendliness overabundance. Their breakfast buffet, while slightly overpriced; it's very good. Their a la carte breakfast is even better (pricy), but inconsistent. If one asks for an egg white omelet, with tomatoes and cheese one should get the exact same omelet every time; however, not the case here. I ordered three omelets on three different occasions, each time it was different. Their orange juice is exquisite, as well as their mojitos, order it with Imperial Rhum (Francisco makes a very good one).

Staff: The front desk staff does really well welcoming you into their hotel; very professional and polite service. I found the female staffers to have a higher standard of professionalism than the males. Whenever I phoned the front desk for service, if a male staff answered the phone, nothing was to get done. For example, on my arrival the room safe, containing all of my valuables and documents, would not open; I called the front desk for assistance around noon, wanting to get out of the room and enjoy the city, nothing happened for 2 hours. I called back, a female member answered and within seconds a technician was at my door for support. Something similar happed with the water heat and pressure, no assistance if a male answer the phone, ever. On a separate occasion, I called to extend my stay as I liked the hotel atmosphere and didn't want to venture to another; talked to a male member, "he" has nothing available and recommends to check online or the next day, I called back a few hours later and spoke to a lady (Mildred, I think - she was great!) and she added the nights without hesitation. Bottom line, the male members of the front desk staff need more training.

The hotel: The hotel pool is a nice option to your day; having breakfast and lunch by it was a nice change of pace. Their restaurants have limited meal options, but nice choices. Their room service never had pizza when we called and their 24 hour room service closes at 1:00 am, which confused me given their name. The grounds are beautiful and well maintained. Their rooms are very different from each other some too small others quite spacious. We stayed in room 3021, which it was small, but typical size if you frequent NYC. This room has a small rest room; if you are tall, the toilet area will not work for you as they have built a column right in front of it, forcing you to get sideways to get anything done in there (hot water and water pressure were a problem, too). Then we stayed in room 3016, very spacious and beautiful windows and architecture. Unfortunately, there was a wedding right outside our room which made it difficult for us to rest. The different rooms where confusing since they were total opposites and we paid the same fee for both; which begs the question, what are we really paying for?

Extras: The hotel has great choices of Dominican rum and some good choices for Scotch and wine. They have no Bourbon and no ginger ale (both very rare in the whole island, which I found interesting). The town inflates their prices as soon as they realize you have an accent or look different than they do. The cab from the hotel charge approximately a 300% markup, if you are (or feel) adventurous, go down the Atarazana plaza and negotiate a ride there. Please, pay attention to your bill; if paying in dollars, you will notice they change the value of the dollar. For us, they change it from the standard rate of US$1= RD$40 to RD$35.00; pay attention and use your card if you don't have enough change. Also, tip is usually included at 10%; if you get great service, feel free to tip more. Unfortunately sometimes they try to tell you tip is not included, but you can see it on your bill.

More: The location is close to El Conde Street; a pedestrian mall with local art, eateries, and culture. Get there by leaving the hotel, making a left as you exit one block to your left; it is closest if you leave through the hotel’s restaurant. Try Sagafredo (the one on the left-hand side of the street) for some inexpensive deliciousness. Also, check out the Plaza Colon and the church, just down the Conde st. Leaving the hotel and making a right, you'll see the Panteon Nacional, a must in my opinion. Also, the restaurants down the Plaza Atarazana are pretty decent (all viewing Columbus son’s house). Try the goat osso buco at Pat'e Palo, but avoid their "staff meeting" in the middle of the day, which absorbs all of the wait staff. At Mamajuana, share the Pork. At Angelos, try their cheese pizza and salads. At Grillo Bravo try their seafood kabobs or their Fish and risotto plate. If you have the time, try each restaurant on different days. At night, try Pacuba, just down the street or take a cab to Adrians in el Malecon for some of the best Dominican Mofongo, also with good mofongo and away from all the “touristy stuff” is Lincoln Road, good food on a nice part of the island.

To sum up, great hotel staff (females), great location, with plenty of choices to eat and things to do; if you venture too far of a walk at night it can be a little "iffy" in parts, but that’s part of any developing country. You will enjoy your stay here, just be flexible...

Room Tip: Room 3016 has amazing finish and it is very spacious; however, during our stay, it was a little loud if you are trying to sleep in or go to bed early. Ask if they have any functions planned during your stay in the front fountain.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Thomassimonnet, Manager at Hodelpa Nicolas de Ovando, responded to this reviewResponded March 12, 2013

Dear Guest,
We very much appreciate your comments regarding your stay at the Hostal Nicolas de Ovando. It is always a pleasure to receive feedback wether it's negative or positive.

Thank you for the comment about the issue of inconsistency in terms of food productions, you can be sure that I will comment this matter to our new chef and place a training session to get every kitchen staff at the same level. It's great that you are able to mentions the names of the staff member that served you well, it help us to reconize them from time to time.

I would enjoy to read your suggestions about meal options that was for you missing.
In terms of the room service, the pizza is exactly unavailable lately for a problem of consistent supplies of main products. As a new menu is coming out in the next few weeks, the pizza will be taken out and I will make sure that the section of dishes available for 24 hours service will be clearer to everybody.
I'm very surprise about the absence of Bourbon, which is an a la carte product, I believe the bar didn't had it restock this day and I apologize about that.
For the Ginger Ale, your are totally right, it's a very rare beverage on the island, the only good one is the Canada dry version but reach the island once in while.
Be ensured that I will personally handle this matter with my team and that your feedback will help us to correct our failures not only in the restaurante and kitchen, but on the front desk service and get better as we strive to continuously improve the quality of our services.
In case you will be coming to Santo Domingo please do let me know about your arrival and I will have pleasure to welcome you in person.

Thank you again for sharing your experience with us, and we hope your next visit will be make fully satisfied.

Erwan DAUSSY