“Nice hotel, but service is lousy” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hodelpa Nicolas de Ovando

Hodelpa Nicolas de Ovando
Ranked #11 of 79 Hotels in Santo Domingo
Rockville, Maryland
“Nice hotel, but service is lousy”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2012

Th hotel itself is nicely done, and the decor is nice. I actually checked out of another hotel which was on the Malecon, but that I found needed a serious facelift, to come to the Hostal Nicolas de Ovando. I was pleasantly surprised by the hotel's tasteful touches, but within 2 hours of checking-in, I was regretting. Whatever I ordered, they would bring me something else, and when I signaled that this wasn't what I ordered, they sort of smiled and apologized, but didn't make any efforts to correct the mistake.

Other than the glitches with the restaurant, the room itself was nice. It also had 2 bottles of mineral water, a bathrobe, and all the toiletries one would expect. Thebathroom had both a shower and a tub, both very generous in size. The room furniture/decoration hinge on the minimalist (and it is decorated mostly with local/island stuff) but everything that is needed is there and the room doesn't appear to be bare. The TV is a flat-screen (and I'm only mentioning that because the first hotel where I had spent one night still had the old bulky TVs).

The location of the Nicolas de Ovando hostel is excellent, especially if you're on vacation and don't mind walking and wandering around before you find a cab. But if you need to go to a meeting in the morning, this is not a hotel that has taxi cabs standing in front of it.
One smart thing to do is to take the business card of the first cabbie you ride with (either from the airport or from wherever). The cabby will gladly offer to drive you around anyway (be sure to set prices, so you don't pay 3 times normal price). But when you have that contact, you can book scheduled times for him to pick you up; that worked well for me.
The hotel is a 10 minute walk from the square where there are lots of restaurants. So, if the service is still bad, just walk to the square and have a nice meal.

Room Tip: Make sure you have the cell # of a cabbie that you can call and schedule your pick-ups for any meeti...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank DustyFeet-MacheAnpil
Thomassimonnet, General Manager at Hodelpa Nicolas de Ovando, responded to this review, November 9, 2012
Dear Guest,
I appreciate the time you’re taking on comment about you’re stay at the Hostal Nicolas de Ovando. We will consider you’re comments with the service.

I assure you that we will take the necessary measures in order to better serve, and avoid such confusion.

I hope to welcome you back to our hotel, and take this opportunity to apologize for the inconvenience, yours faithfully.

Thomas SIMONNET

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (109)
  • Polish first
Santa Fe, NM
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2012

I have stayed here on 7 business trips over the past several years. It is a lovely hotel in a former colonial building. It is close to restaurant but I often eat off the bar menu which has nice salads. The breakfast is wonderful but never changes so it gets boring after staying there more that two weeks. The pool is great after a day of work and the lounge area is relaxing. I think it is perfect for the business traveler because as soon as you walk in to the hotel you feel like you are in an oasis.

There is a basic fitness room.

2 Thank SantaFe_NMCat50
Thomassimonnet, General Manager at Hodelpa Nicolas de Ovando, responded to this review, November 6, 2012
We very much appreciate your comments regarding your stay at the Hostal Nicolas de Ovando. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.

New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2012

Stayed at this hotel for a wedding.

Its located in a nice area of the zona colonial. I found the room to be nice enough. The pool area was a good oasis from the hot city. I thought the service was good.

My only real disappointment was that for breakfast the only option was the buffet and it was absurdly expensive for the DR - like $25 and it was nothing special. Good free wifi all over the hotel.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thomassimonnet, General Manager at Hodelpa Nicolas de Ovando, responded to this review, November 2, 2012

Washington, DC
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 15, 2012

I stayed twice at this hotel for 2 and 1 nights respectively on business. I think it's probably better suited for vacationers who end up passing time in Sto Domingo, as the hotel is lovely, but not especially suited to the business traveler. The hotel itself is beautiful, with lovely patios and pools. The two rooms were slightly different- in my first room, which was on the floor below the entry floor, I found the room to be very sparsely decorated, but overall it was sufficiently comfortable. I just wish there had been a top sheet on the bed- a duvet is too heavy for DR! Also, I prefer carpet on the floor- this was tile, so a little cold with the A/C. Finally, the european bathroom design was not really my style- toilet was very low to the ground, and a pillar in the middle of the bathroom made for interesting middle-of-the-night navigation. I much preferred the second room, which was off the lobby area to the left when you walk in the hotel. I get the vibe that these rooms are "older", and the room definitely had more character, with a four poster bed, dark wood furniture, and woven baskets for decoration. the room was smaller, but more pleasant.
The breakfast is excellent. This hotel is close to the main Plaza, where they have great restaurants. However, it is not terribly convenient to go a major grocery store (although there are LOTS of "colmados" or corner stores to buy basics). Also, the "gym" is very small and there is no TV. Service is friendly and courteous, but when I had a problem with the internet, it took 3 phone calls over the course of an hour to finally get a tech to my room, at which point I had solved the problem myself.

• 4 of 5 bubbles
Thomassimonnet, General Manager at Hodelpa Nicolas de Ovando, responded to this review, October 16, 2012

I assure you that we will take the necessary measures in order to better serve the internet service and avoid the time you wait.

Knoxville, TN
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 30, 2012 via mobile

Quiet, clean, comfortable rooms. The wifi connection was problematic but sometimes worked. The staff was very helpful and pleasant. There were not many other guests this time of year, making for a very peaceful refuge between meetings. The hotel is much larger than it first appears, with multiple levels and hidden courtyards. I missed visiting their cigar bar, though, my only disappointment while there.

Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Thomassimonnet, General Manager at Hodelpa Nicolas de Ovando, responded to this review, October 2, 2012

Winston-salem
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2012

A wonderful location for exploring the Colonial District. Most sites are within walking distance as well as many restaurants. My room was comfortable and quiet. The room decor is elegantly minimalist with a beautiful bath with luxurious towels. Plenty of bottled water provided at no charge. The turndown service provided a little rug by the bed so your feet won't be chilled by the tile floor. Two very minor things - no alarm clock and no shelf for shampoo or soap in the shower. The rest of the hotel is lovely. They have done a good job of blending modern with historic. There are nice gardens, courtyards and fountains. You can walk out to the old walls that overlook the river.

Room Tip: Not all rooms have views. Ask when making a reservation.