“Architectural Gem in Colonial Quarter”

Hodelpa Nicolas de Ovando
Ranked #12 of 78 Hotels in Santo Domingo
Reviewed June 13, 2012

We spent our last night in the DR at this hotel and loved everything about it. It was charming in a great location and beautifully appointed. The pool was lovely, we welcomed the free wi-fi and enjoyed our dinner in the restaurant, the best meal we had in the Dominican Republic.

2  Thank fheller
Thomassimonnet, General Manager at Hodelpa Nicolas de Ovando, responded to this reviewResponded June 15, 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to let us know your experience about your stay at the Hostal Nicolas de Ovando, is always a pleasure to receive positive feedbacks from our guests. Our team is in constant training for the improvement of our services.

There are newer reviews for Hodelpa Nicolas de Ovando

Reviewed June 4, 2012

In general, the experience at this hotel was very good. After looking other hotels in Santo Domingo, such as the Hilton, Intercontinental, etc, I am glad I picked this one.
Location is great. Situated right in the colonial part of the city, with a few nice restaurants within walking distance. The other hotels I looked at are located in the "malecon", which is very busy and full of cars.
Everything in the hotel is remodeled and looks new. The rooms are not too big but very comfortable. Nice beds, free wifi. The pool is very small and simple, nothing special. Very small gym as well.
The restaurant at the hotel is very good, nice buffet for breakfast and overall good food.
One downside to this hotel is that is located next to the port. When I stayed here, there was a huge ferry always parked there with the engines on.
Overall great hotel in Santo Domingo. If I have to go back to Santo Domingo I would definitely stay there instead of the other hotels.

Room Tip: Don't get the rooms next to the restaurant because it can be a little loud.
1  Thank lcrh
Thomassimonnet, General Manager at Hodelpa Nicolas de Ovando, responded to this reviewResponded June 6, 2012

We very much appreciate your comments regarding your stay at the Hostal Nicolas De Ovando. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback. Thank you also for let us know about the port, you are right, the port near us is active and the ferry is there a few days a week.

Sicerely yours,

Reviewed June 1, 2012

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Derek J
Thomassimonnet, General Manager at Hodelpa Nicolas de Ovando, responded to this reviewResponded June 5, 2012

Reviewed June 1, 2012

The hotel is very nice and quiet, at least it was in May. The common areas evoke the colonial period that it is part of. Amenities are all up to date - wifi in each room and in the lobbies (free), comfortable beds, nice bathrooms/showers. The only downside was the cost of breakfast - US$25 pp - completely inappropriate. After the first day, we headed out in the morning and found a nice hole in the wall with excellent coffee and inexpensive eggs (Cafeteria).

Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Scott W

Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your experience at the Hostal Nicolás de Ovando. It's always a pleasure to receive positive feedbacks from our guests. As you said we have internet free available in the all hotel for the comfort of our guests. We work to make each moment of our guests special.

I really appreciate your words about your stay with us and waiting for your next visit as enjoyable as the previous.

Reviewed May 29, 2012

The entire experience at the hotel was a pleasure. I was traveling to Santo Domingo for business and sick of the usual Hilton or Marriott choices. This hotel is something special - built in a century old building, the rooms feel unique and breath character. The service is impeccable - everyone went above and beyond to make me feel welcome. The true highlight for me was the restaurant. I'm someone who sticks to room service, but venture out to the restaurant instead for a change. I was so impressed by the friendly service and food I ended up eating there every night of my stay, just so I could try everything on the menu. The breakfast was also excellent, as was the location and proximity to the tourist sites and my business meetings. I also felt safe - security was tight night and day with guards constantly on duty at the front of the hotel. I also noticed many tourist police on duty. The in-room safe worked well. My only complaint was occasionally I didn't have enough drinking water, but I remedied that by taking extra bottles at breakfast to last me the day.

4  Thank FreqBusTraveller

Is an honor for us that you took the time to express your comments about your stay at the Hostal Nicolas de Ovando. Thank you for give us the opportunity to show you that we have for you and the different that we are.

It's not necessary to take extra bottles of water from breakfast, in case the guest wish more can request to the front desk and somebody going to carry it to the room. It's a little advise for your next visit.

Reviewed May 18, 2012

We stayed at the Nicolas for 4 nights and had a very pleasant experience. The colonial ambience gives you a feel for the surrounding buildings. The service was excellent and the room, though small, was clean and well appointed. The breakfast buffet was expensive but fresh and tasty. Talk baseball to Francisco at the bar.

Room Tip: Try a room facing the city or pool, as the view of the Puerto Rico ferry is quite public.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Sturdyart
Thomassimonnet, General Manager at Hodelpa Nicolas de Ovando, responded to this reviewResponded May 22, 2012

Is an honor for us that you took the time to express your comments about your stay at the Hostal Nicolas de Ovando. Our team is in constant training for the improvement of our services, is always a pleasure to receive positive feedbacks from our guests. Francisco and all of the team of the Hostal Nicolás de Ovando will receive your positive feedback.

I really appreciate your words about your experience with us and waiting for your next visit as enjoyable as the previous. Greetings,

Reviewed May 18, 2012

My first room had non-functioning a/c -- i called the desk and was told it would be fixed in 30 minutes -- finally after 5 hours i called AGAIN and was told i could change rooms -- so after totally unpacking i had to repack and move to another room at 11pm -- very disappointing service -- also i had dinner at the hotel and found the food to be very ordinary for high prices - i ordered a bottle of water and was charged $10us -- HIGH PRICES BUT NOT HIGH QUALITY

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Bruce B

Dear Guest,

I appreciate the time you’re taking on comment about your stay at the Hostal Nicolas de Ovando. We will consider your comments bout the air conditioner in the room I confess you that I really surprise for this because it's not normal that something like this happen in the Hostal Nicolás de Ovando. I will check with the front desk and the maintenance to see what happened with the air conditioner service and the guest information

I assure you that we will take the necessary measures in order to better serve the air conditoner in the room, and avoid such confusion.

I hope to welcome you back to our hotel, and take this opportunity to apologize for the inconvenience, yours faithfully.