All reviews alfredo main tower tennis courts pool bartender the club lounge pool area excellent service front desk staff fitness center nice pool caribbean sea wonderful hotel the entire staff i highly recommend this hotel dominican republic enjoyed my stay special thanks
Reviewed February 24, 2016 via mobile

Mr . Matt Knights,

It is a pleasure and a Honer to inform you that for the past 8 Months your staff has gone beyond meeting my expectation, YOU had exceed them, a strong feeling of support or allegiance that I had the pleasure to experience is unmatchable by any other hotel .
Starting from your staff at the time of a arrival when they greed me at the door and at checking to the bell boy assistant me with my luggage,
To all the security personal assurance my stay , to all the Bar personal, waitress, chef and all your Supervisor, Managers,and Sales associates they had make me feel at home.

Keep i the good work
Regards,

Joe Bastidas
Sales Engineer
Videojet Technologies

Stayed: February 2016, traveled on business
Jaragua H, General Manager at Renaissance Santo Domingo Jaragua Hotel & Casino, responded to this reviewResponded February 26, 2016

Dear Joe

Thanks for your great comments; it is always great having you as our guest. You mentioned our associates, I am very lucky to work with such a friendly bunch. I will make sure I share your review with the team. I also appreciate your loyalty and feedback that you give us. As always, if I can help with anything at all please let me know.

Reviewed February 23, 2016

On Tuesday 23rd February 2016, I ordered the Hamburger well done minus the bacon and avocado. My burger came with the avocado, the french fries were greasy. You can see the grease / oil in the plate and the burger was not well done. I believe the fries were double cooked. I pointed out the issues to Samuel (bartender / waiter) who was very apologetic. I was not happy with my order, which Samuel was willing to re-place another order for me. I thanked him but refused his suggestion. The service was excellent as usual but the food on this occasion was very poor.

• Stayed: February 2016, traveled solo
Jaragua H, General Manager at Renaissance Santo Domingo Jaragua Hotel & Casino, responded to this reviewResponded February 24, 2016

Dear Stephen

Thank you very much for giving us your feedback on your burger. We let you down in a couple of areas, the order was wrong and it was not prepared well. I am sorry about that. I will make a point of discussing this with our Executive Chef so that we can learn from it. I will also thank Samuel for his excellent service, he is a great guy and I know he will be thrilled with your kind words. Again, thanks for your feedback and I hope we get the chance to serve you again soon.

Reviewed February 23, 2016 via mobile

First time to the D.R. and happy we chose this hotel. Clean, comfortable, safe. Great location for walking to good places to eat. The staff was warm, and patient with my basic spanish. We decided to stay an extra day and Yana at the lobby desk, honored the previous package price per night which was a welcome surprise. We will stay here again...it really is a beautiful and modern hotel worth the price.

Stayed: February 2016, traveled on business

Dear Jen E

I do hope that your trip to the D.R. was the first of many, it is a great place to learn Spanish. Thank you so much for your kind words they are very much appreciated. I told Yana this morning about your review and she was thrilled, thank you for making her day. Again, thanks for your review and I hope we get to see you again soon.

Reviewed February 21, 2016

We originally booked our trip to Santo Domingo on a whim as a long weekend get away from the cold weather. Jet Blue had a great deal so we thought this would be a perfect vacation, unfortunately, we were very very wrong. I know this is a lengthy submission, but i think it is an important read for female travelers as well as interracial couples.

As we were driving to the hotel it was clear that nothing was in walking distance & the area in general did not feel safe. Upon our arrival to the hotel, the bellman were all great & greeted us with smiles. As we went to check in we realized, everything else wasn't going to be so great. The front desk agent spoke English and we learned she was from NJ, but her attitude was cold and unpleasant. She could have cared less about assisting us. She advised that our room wasn't ready, ok that's fine, we were hungry from travelling anyway so we asked where we could eat. The agent suggested that we go eat in the restaurant while we waited and she assured us she would assign us to a great room.

We went to the restaurant and were seated immediately, there were about 4 occupied tables and 4-5 waitresses so we assumed it would be a quick and easy meal. Once we were seated, we waited 45 minutes for a waitress to come up to our table, a table of about 6 woman (all white) from a conference sat down after us and got their drinks before we were even approached by a waitress. It seemed like they again were uninterested in helping us. We were finally able to flag someone down we ordered our drinks and food at the same time. It took another 15 minutes to get our drinks, a beer and a sangria... Our food came another 20 minutes later it came in pieces. We ordered 3 tapas and the alfredo. The shrimp skewers were over cooked, the seafood options appeared to be canned and definitely not fresh. In general, it was a lack luster meal. We also never got the waters that we requested in the beginning. We then needed to pay for our meal, the waitresses again were impossible to track down. In total, we probably spent 2 hours in the restaurant, 75% of the time, we had no drinks or food.

We went back to the desk and the agent who originally helped us had left at her shift change (in hindsight, when we originally went to check in, she was probably ready to go for the day and that explained her attitude). The next agent was pleasant, but again, uninterested. He gave us our room keys. The bellman again, was great! He advised us that we were going to have to go outside to our room, no big deal, lots of hotels have separate sections. But it was a rainy day. The bellman gave us umbrellas which were a great help, but the second building was very far from the main entrance, past the employee entrances. It basically was a motel. Once we got inside we walked down a long dark hallway and realized we were on the first floor. As a female traveler, even with my boyfriend with me, I feel more comfortable staying on higher floors without ground access. The room left much to be desired, it was a decent size, but the furnishings were worn and the "wall art" looked like a child had painted it. The TV was nailed down to the dresser, which i thought was odd for a hotel of Renaissance calibur. Also, in the bathroom there were long black hairs on the floors and walls. It was clear at this point that this was not the "great room" the first agent promised. It was also clear that the $40 million renno was just in the main hotel tower.

At this point we already were feeling a little uneasy about our safety and the service levels of the hotel, but we wanted to make the best of it. We got ready and decided that we would spend some time in the casino. As we entered the casino, we were greeted by a man with no name tag and quite an unfriendly and alarming look on his face, I walked by him as he never said anything to me, he then wanded my boyfriend, we had clearly just walked in from the main hotel, so i thought it was strange that they would have security of this type at the casino. We then saw other guests walk in from the same entrance without being wanded by the guard. Again, another bad taste. The casino was packed with locals, but we found a machine to play. The casino wasn't for us so we decided to cash out. My boyfriend approached the girl to cash out and she continued her conversation with her coworker. My boyfriend put his hand out to collect the money from her, and she dropped the money down on the counter without saying a word.

I will say as we were walking back from the casino, I stopped by th Navigator booth to see what we could do in the area, to try and make the best out of our time and the Navigator was great. I explained our safety concerns and she did her best to suggest options for us. I asked if we could walk to the historic district as i read online that it was in walking distance she advised that it would be safer to take a cab. Unfortunately, this added to our safety concerns. She also advised that the beach was about a 30 minute cab ride away (which we knew before and were OK with) but she also mentioned that getting a cab back would be very difficult. Which basically meant it was not an option.

When we got back to the room, we both agreed that this vacation just wasn't going well. We tried to find another hotel that we could switch to, but as this hotel is #11 in Santo Domingo, we couldn't even imagine that there were hotels worse than this. We tried our best to make the best out of a bad situation, but there didn't seem to be any light at the end of the tunnel. We called Jet Blue and they were able to get us on a flight the next day. As we went down to check out, the original front desk agent was there, we explained our situation to her and again she could have cared less. After we finished explaining all of this, she said, "that's it?" Yes, for us this is enough to say we will never go back to Santo Domnigo and specifically this hotel. The general dismissive and uninterested attitude is not something we were expecting as we both work in the hospitality industry. The purpose of this long review is to bring all of these issues to the hotels attention. I can honestly say this was the most unsafe and most disrespected I have ever felt while traveling.

Room Tip: stay in the main tower! Nowhere near a beach! Can't walk anywhere!
  • Stayed: February 2016, traveled as a couple
6  Thank Jkm892
Jaragua H, General Manager at Renaissance Santo Domingo Jaragua Hotel & Casino, responded to this reviewResponded February 22, 2016

Dear Jkm892

I am so sorry that your trip to Santo Domingo was not as it should have been. We take great pride in providing a very inclusive environment for our guests and our associates, so reading your comments is of great concern to me. I will be sure to personally review your points with our team so that we can learn from your experience. I will also meet with the owners of the casino next store and discuss with them the issues you had while with them. Our associates are from all different backgrounds and I do believe we have an inclusive environment, but the points you have raised have highlighted a number of areas that we need to improve. Thank you for the very detailed feedback and again I am sorry that your trip to Santo Domingo was not a good one.

Reviewed February 19, 2016

Growing up in Santo Domingo, I do remember the old Hotel Jaragua who inspired many love songs, then demolish on the late eighties and rebuild. I am really familiar because my favorite club during the 80's was Waldos, located in the Hotel. Been back brought me so many memories of those days. My stayed in the new Jaragua was wonderfull, rooms are beautiful and modern, strong wifi even Carnival Performers in the lobby. Well trained staff and committed employees, pamper you to make you fill like a celebrity.

Room Tip: The highest the better with view to the Caribbean Sea
  • Stayed: February 2016, traveled with family

Dear Hector

It sounds like you had some great memories from the 80’s and Waldos. I wasn’t here in Santo Domingo then, but I hear it was a great spot. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed what we have done with Jaragua, and I am glad you liked our Carnival presentation, it was a great night and I love your picture. Thank you so much for your review and I hope we get to welcome you back again soon.