“Somewhere to be but...” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #37 of 79 Hotels in Santo Domingo
Rye, United Kingdom
“Somewhere to be but...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

I was booked there for my business stay in Santo Domingo. Large outdated business place, full of local visitors, in conference and the like. OK but need some modernization and far from Old City. I would have prefer a renovated old Inn downtown.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Jean-Paul88

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Providence, Rhode Island, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

Yes it might need a bit of renovation but I wasnt staring at the ceiling I was enjoying the great pools and there sauna which was very sanitary. Stayed at the last floor which requires a key to go up. as soon the elevator doors open you have a coffe machine and unlimited liquor. The rooms we had was amazing with the ocean view. Loved the fact the la malecon street is right across from the hotel and it is safe to walk the strip. maids and helpers are great with providing extra towels or nesecities with out being judgemental. Complimentery Breakfast is amazing with true dominican food, Its no fun when others hotels deny the opportunity of enjoying there cultures. Great price and close to the strips and easy driving to boca chica.

Room Tip: Choose the Last Floor and ocean view for the better thrill
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Jersey City, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

The hotel was nearly empty when I stayed and I enjoyed the peacefulness. The staff was fantastic with a special mention to Sr. Martinez. The pool was empty and a lovely place to relax.

HOWEVER, the place is falling apart, haha. Virtually everything is in need of a serious upgrade. For this reason, it is way too expensive for what you get. I left after one night for this reason.

Location is not that good either unless you rent a car. Be prepared to spend tourist prices on taxis, generally $10. Some will negotiate, others won't.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank jook_savages
toronto
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

Decent stay but I wouldn't call it an overly fancy place. Service though was very good (turning down the beds with chocolates at night was a nice touch) and the on-site helipad was convenient. The pool is very large and deep (maybe not so great for little kids though). Rooms were large but tired looking.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars
GuestManagerHSD, Manager at Hotel Santo Domingo, responded to this review, January 11, 2013
We appreciate your comments about our hotel services.

In this aspect, we want you to know that we are committed to improving our quality. I assure you that we are working to amend those little things that you mentioned. We hope to have you here with us, in the near future.

Best Regards,

Miami, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2012

I have never been at a hotel of such low standard .... Music blasting at midnight , and no compassion for other guests.......
Even calling and asking politely to tone it down did not help.
I stayed here several times 8 years ago. But things has surely changed for the worse.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars
2 Thank Peter V
GuestManagerHSD, Manager at Hotel Santo Domingo, responded to this review, January 2, 2013
Thank you for your comment about your stay at our hotel. Your feedback is very important to us. I apologize for the trouble you went through during your stay. Allow me to remember you that during the month of December, many companies make their holidays parties, besides weddings that prefer this month for the cool weather and the beautiful lights that we hang in our facilities. We always try to control the volume of the music on these events, since our policies require them to lower the volume starting at 12:00 am, out of respect for our guests. Unfortunately, customers sometimes break these rules. Measures will be taken for future events, and thus avoid any inconvenience to our guests.

We hope to welcome you a next time, and have a new opportunity to change your opinion about us.

Travelers are raving about these Santo Domingo hotels

Gros Islet, St. Lucia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2012

The Hotel Santo Domingo is the westernmost of a number of up-market hotels along the Malecón, west of Santo Domingo’s centre and is more economical than most of the others. These hotels target business travelers and participants of conferences, symposia and special events (business as well as private functions) held on their premises. The generous size of rooms, equipped with two double beds, render the rooms at the Hotel Santo Domingo suitable for small families too.

There is a large, but also very deep pool. Children and any non-swimmer should be supervised at all times, as this service is not provided. Overall, the hotel is not too well-equipped to cater for children or teenagers: neither high chairs in the restaurant, nor age-appropriate entertainment are available. The common area are well maintained, although a bit more effort at landscaping the very spacious out-door areas could render the complex much more attractive. And if the pool bar stayed open late, this would have been my spot after hours.

Meeting facilities were good. I’ve not tried the business centre, but there was no phone book in the rooms and even the most helpful reception staff cannot possibly assist with more than the occasional call. The restaurant was perfectly acceptable in its price class, but nothing outstanding. Food is good, wines way overpriced. Full breakfast starts punctually at 6:30am.

The main asset of the hotel is the friendly and helpful staff! I forgot my cellular charger in the socket of my room and found it carefully stored and entered into a log book upon enquiry.

The rooms show their age and vary considerably in the state of repair. I had a chance to compare three standard rooms in one week, and #2 was the reason I requested #3 after finding shower, door lock and light malfunctioning. My request was attended to professionally and my room changed within a few hours, but I had been deprived of a shower for one night. The combination safe worked fine for me, the internet most of the time and the TV about 50% of time (best at night and when internet was off). On average, I found the rooms too dark. The interior design is somewhat dated, but adequate. The minibar selection was poor: no beer in two of the three rooms I stayed in and no bottle opener in any. A main weakness was the air conditioning: in two of the three rooms I stayed in, AC units were invariable blowing very cold air – or I had to turn them off altogether, but the temperature could not be regulated. Windows could be opened, but the large windows with low sills render this risky, particularly if you have children in the room.

There is easy access and ample parking for those travelling by car. The large distance from colonial Santo Domingo and even the commercial centre oblige visitors without their own transport to spend regularly on taxis. There are only very few restaurants within 10-15 minutes walking distance and it’s a lonely walk that I would not recommend for single women.

In summary: Tourists and families are better advised to stay closer to attractions in small hotels with more relevant value for money. The Hotel Santo Domingo is best suited for substantial professional meetings in this or nearby hotels. Unless you have your own vehicle, savings in accommodation may be reduced or even cancelled out by increased taxi fares. Excellent staff make a big difference, but hotel management will have to seriously prioritize room maintenance to stay competitive - just about scraping 4 stars: not “very good”, but still above average.

Room Tip: Check everything works (electrical outlets, lights, TV, shower, etc.) before settling.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank ulrike_krauss
We appreciate the time you took to comment on your stay in our hotel. For us is very important the opinion of our guests. I apologize for the inconvenience that you might experienced, I assure you we will be taking steps to prevent it from happening again. Our hotel is characterized by executive guests who only come to Santo Domingo for meetings, exactly as you explain. Therefore, we appreciate your suggestions to improve our service in terms of guests traveling on vacations.

We hope that we can welcome you the next time you travel to Santo Domingo.

Queens, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

I am considering a trip to Santo Domingo, a city I haven't visited in 25 years. I used to vacation in the city several times a year; Hotel Santo Domingo, then a brand new property owned by Gulf + Western, was my favorite hotel. It was one of the first hotels built in "native decor" and the staff was charming. Sounds like, while the building itself can maybe use a bit of an update, the staff and the property is just as charming as ever. I am looking forward to returning to this lovely spot.

Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
GuestManagerHSD, Manager at Hotel Santo Domingo, responded to this review, November 19, 2012
Thank you very much for always choosing our hotel. We are confident that your visit will be pleasant and meet your expectations. We look forward to welcoming you soon.