“Wonderful stay”

Boutique Hotel Palacio
Ranked #14 of 79 Hotels in Santo Domingo
“Wonderful stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 6, 2013

Stayed at this hotel on September 20th, and we were treated like royalty. The front desk was very hrlpful, whether looking for a restaurant, church, or the bus terminus. It is ideally located in the Colonial Zone, in the tourtist area, which is full of history. Would recommend this hotel to all.

• Stayed September 2013
Joachim W, Manager at Boutique Hotel Palacio, responded to this review, October 9, 2013
Dear guest;

Thank you for your nice review. We do our best to satisfy our guests and it is even better if we exceed their expectations. Hope to welcome you soon again,

Rosemary de Leon E.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (128)
Daytona Beach, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 1, 2013

As a middle of the road traveler looking for the best deal WITH amenities, this is it!
From the moment I walked through the door, I knew this place was special. The interior courtyards are spellbinding. Our room was large with great AC and the bath was updated in marble and had plenty of hot water. Just outside our door was a "living room" with It's own library. Fascinating portraits of early explorers grace all the walls.

The free breakfast buffet from 7 - 10 was never-ending, with special orders at no extra cost.
After an easy walk to all the local attractions (including the malecon) it was great to come home and lay out by the roof top pool.

Some of the front desk seemed a little less used to travelers questions and needs, but it was made up by the security guys who always had an answer and a smile!

I am going back in February!!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Joachim W, Manager at Boutique Hotel Palacio, responded to this review, October 2, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for such a lovely review of the hotel, we feel very satisfied with our work when we receive such feedback. we are pleased that you felt good in our hotel and can not wait to see you again here to continue offering our best service.

Denver, Colorado
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 15, 2013

We stayed at Boutique Hotel Palacio twice, the night of our arrival and night before our departure. Location is great, 1 block from primary pedestrian street in the Colonial Zone. Secure parking was included for our rental car. Rooftop pool was a pleasant surprise. Close to restaurants and nightlife. We had one issue: we booked on Hotels.com and were supposed to get free breakfast. No issue 1st stay, but on 2nd stay they charged us separately for breakfast. I disputed the charge at the front desk, but they still charged me. I had planned on emailing the manager when I got home, but by the time I got home I had an email from the manager apologizing and offering a refund. They mailed me a check for a refund! Great service by the front desk clerk to be proactive and take it up with the manager.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Joachim W, Manager at Boutique Hotel Palacio, responded to this review, September 18, 2013
Dear guest:

We appreciate your taking the time to write to us.
We feel satisfied that you calificate to us as Charming hotel and to highlight a few feature like the Rooftop pool was a pleasant surprise for you.
Finally we pleased have read about your good experience and we invite you to coming back again for the next visit planned to Santo Domingo.

Miami, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 9, 2013

Comfortable rooms, clean facilities with amenities such as indoor gym; pool & Jacuzzi. Excellent location, in the heart of Santo Domingo. Walk-in distance from historic points of interest, market place, pubs & restaurants.
The hotel staff is friendly and professional, and will make sure you have a pleasant stay.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Joachim W, Manager at Boutique Hotel Palacio, responded to this review, September 13, 2013
Dear guest:

Thank for taking your precious time to comment about our hotel.
We are very pleased that you feel good in our hotel, we feel proud of our effort to maintain quality in our services and facilities.
We are waiting for your next visit to Santo Domingo to continue as usual, provides a good service.

Best Regards

ELK GROVE
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 6, 2013

The hotel has large rooms, and a nice breakfast. The hotel is in the colonial area, and faces ugly buildings, with no ocean view. At night security padlocks the front door to keep street people out. The hotel is a long walk to the malecon. The reception staff are friendly, but not very competent when it comes to checking out with a credit card. The staff uses old credit card machines, and you need to double check your bill. For just about the same amount of money you can stay at the Hotel Napolitano with an ocean view.

Room Tip: No ocean views...Try the Hotel Napolitano, which is close with an ocean view
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Joachim W, Manager at Boutique Hotel Palacio, responded to this review, September 10, 2013
Dear Guest:

Thank you for the review about our hotel and voicing your opinion. At Hotel Palacio, we believe that such reviews are an excellent way to avoid misunderstandings.

We understand that everybody has different tastes for hotel locations, however, we wish to emphasize that our hotel is located in the heart of the old buildings in the Colonial city. This location is also the centre for all sorts of entertainment such as pubs, bars, lounges, restaurants and of course, many historically significant buildings and places from the new world.

The Malecon does have many new high rise hotels, discotheques and casinos. But being far away from the major tourist attractions of the historic colonial city you may have to spend quite a lot on expensive taxis. Most of the clients we get stay with us exclusively to see the old Colonial city.

As for your remarks about the old credit card machines, there are only two service providers who work for all the banks and provide these machines. They are certainly new, but sometimes they have their moments and get frozen. We understand that you were in a hurry and were upset that we asked you for a moment longer. We assure you that there was no overcharging, on the contrary, the machine was not charging your extra expenses while we tried to charge again. In fact, we decided not to charge your extra charges to avoid more delay for you.

However we are glad to hear that you reviewed our property as nice hotel. We once again thank you for staying with us.

San Antonio, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2013

We arrived for a long Labor Day weekend, frazzled from 20 hours of air travel to a muggy evening in Santo Domingo. The moment we entered the Hotel at 11pm we were greeted like old friends and treated like Pashas during our 4-night stay. We opted for a '3 Crown' room which was quite roomy and cooled before our arrival, a much-appreciated amenity. The cost for a double was about $120/night and a great value in our opinion.
The tranquil location in the Historic and Picturesque Zona Colonial was perfect as a staging spot to the key points of interest, the oldest structures in the New World, shopping, dining, people watching options.
I found the included breakfast in a shaded and scenic patio excellent, with options tasty and varied and the chef offering to make special orders. The hotel has a number of indoor and out options for quiet reflection in shady and well-appointed nooks and arbors and a small but private pool on the roof for sun worshiping or a quick dip. The bathroom and shower was large, very modern and hot water was immediate at all times.
The staff was helpful in negotiating to reduce cab fares, confirming other travel arrangements. If we return to Santo Domingo, this will be our headquarters again.

Room Tip: Ours, 142 was near-perfect.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Joachim W, Manager at Boutique Hotel Palacio, responded to this review, September 9, 2013
Dear guest:

Thank you very much for taking your time to comment us.
We like to read about our guest the wonderful experience they had.
Our staff will feel gratefull knowing you had a memorable stay and you share it.
We hope to be the opcion for your next visit to Santo Domingo.

Warming regards,

Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2013

I stayed in this hotel before, it was comfortable and somewhat austere. This time the service was awful, prices had been increased, and contrary to the majority of Santo Domingo hotels, breakfast was not free anymore. I arrived at the desk, was surprised by the new prices, I had seen lower prices on Internet, the receptionist assured me the prices were the same than on the Internet. First lie!! I took the room anyway because I had an urgent appointment. I wanted to check the prices on Internet, but the Wifi was not functionning, pages were not loading. I told to the receptionist. They sent somebody to "fix" it, when I came back same thing, 5 minutes to load a page, finally I got the price on Internet, it was much lower. They told me it was because the taxes were not added. I checked it. Second lie!! They told me the Internet had been checked and was working perfectly. Third lie!! I did quit with the Internet access problem after they told me that anyway they were not charging for it! They wanted me to show them the prices on Internet. It seems they don't know how to access Priceline! When I left I finally showed them the prices on my laptop. They need all the help they can get! Then they told me you cannot get those prices if you reserve the same day. Fourth lie!! I checked it afterward. The air conditioning in the room was too cold, the control did not work. The only way was to shut it taking out the card next to the door, but this shuts also all the electricity in the room. No TV, no telephone, etc. Finally They accepted to reduce th price, because they were other customers at the desk when I was leaving and I was going to make a scandal What an aweul experience.

Dominican are generally very friendly and amiable, not at the Palacio. the receptionists don't seem to know the meaning of the word courtesy, never say thank you, and keep a very unfriendly face most of the time. They did not even say a word when I left after paying my bil, like I did not existed. I live in this country, it was the first time I was treated like this by dominicans.

NOT RECOMMENDED!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Michel P
Joachim W, Manager at Boutique Hotel Palacio, responded to this review, September 6, 2013
Dear Guest:

This is the Manager of Hotel Palacio responding to your review. During your stay, I was informed by two of my front desk employees that you did not accept your room rate and you had Internet connectivity issues.

Let me address the issue of room rates first. Apart from the fact that the room rates keep increasing from time to time, there is also the factor of currency conversion from USD to RDS. As you are living in the RD, you would have naturally calculated the room rate in RDS and it would have seemed a little expensive when there was an increase in the value of USD.

You may find special offers on websites such as Google, Pricelines etc. The discounted rates on these sites are managed by the online agencies with our acceptance. These rates are most certainly not made available to walk-in guests which is the normal business practice of any hotel. Please note that the discounted rates made available by the online agencies are subject to several factors such as early bookings and prepaid bookings that are usually non-refundable. As for the front desk employees’ response to your request for reduction in room rate, she was merely discharging his duty by following the rates available on our website as she is not authorised to offer any discounts to customers. I would also like to add that if you wanted a room at a lower cost, there were other rooms available at cheaper rates.

Secondly, as for the Internet connectivity, our several attempts to show to you that the Internet was working properly failed because you refused to let us enter your room. In fact, at one such instant, I was personally outside your door, along with my technician, to be 100 % sure that you get the best service and yet did not get a chance to show you on a laptop that the Internet was working fine.
For future bookings, please check out the various websites to find specials.

Finally we hope you'll visit again.

Joachim Wagner