“Still as good as last time. Can't wait for my next visit”

Boutique Hotel Palacio
Ranked #15 of 79 Hotels in Santo Domingo
Indiana
“Still as good as last time. Can't wait for my next visit”
Reviewed July 28, 2011

I have already reviewed this hotel (March 2010), but after a second visit I wanted to reaffirm my opinion that this is a real gem of a place to stay. This time I stayed again with my wife and two children, and we reserved room 136, the only one with a large private terrace (see pics). At $140/night with breakfast included this room is really an amazing bargain. The room itself is large with a king-size bed (they were happy to bring an cot for the kids), a very comfortable, small leather couch, a desk with a computer (which I didn’t use since I had my own), another small work desk, a small table with three chairs, and a fridge. The bathroom is huge and much nicer than those in the other rooms. It has a large Jacuzzi, and a separate shower. The main room and the bath have huge windows that let in tons of natural light. The terrace, which is accessed from two french doors in the room, is amazing. It is about 300 square ft. and it adds and incredible amount of value to the room. It is a great place to sit and have a beer or to sip morning coffee, to read a book or to take a nap.

We were more pleased this time with the service. The staff was very friendly, and we had no problems of any kind. We will definitely return here many times. It is one of our favorite small hotels in Latin America. I would advise anyone making a reservation to request a room with lots of light if you care about such things – some of the interior rooms have tiny windows and are very dark and a bit musty inside. I have looked at over a dozen of the rooms and think 128, 131, 135, and 136 are among the nicest.

The breakfast is simple, but excellent, and we loved it as much as last time we stayed. Fresh fruit salad (pineapple, papaya, apples, bananas, etc.), yogurt, eggs, ham and cheese, lots of fresh bread, good coffee, etc.

The location simply can't be beat. Highly recommended in every way.

IMPORTANT NOTE: one of the taxi drivers who is often stationed outside the hotel is extremely friendly and dependable. I have gone many places with him with my wife and kids, and would recommend him to anyone. I am not sure if he speaks English (since we are native Spanish speakers) but that shouldn't matter. His name is José Gil and he can be found at the corner of Calle Duarte and Calle el Conde.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank ViajeroIndiana
HotelPalacio0, Guest Relations Manager at Boutique Hotel Palacio, responded to this review, August 14, 2011
July 26, 2011
Thanks for you review, we are glad to have you as our guess.
we recommend you in you next visit know the new senior suite Room 112

Bianka Cruz

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (128)
Olathe, Kansas
Reviewed July 23, 2011

I stayed at Hotel palacio for 6 nites. great location just a block from el conde shopping street, right in heart of the zona colonial. staff was helpful and friendly, pool on roof is a nice touch, courtyard restaurant had nice breakfast. rooms are not elaborate but clean and confortable. a couple mornings the shower was only luke warm, but otherwise the room was fine.

staff was prompt on getting taxis, had advice on places to go. security seemed just fine, door was staffed all hours.

reasonable rates, location gives you sense of the area and neighborhood, if you want to experience the culture, this is a good place to base out of.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
HotelPalacio0, Guest Relations Manager at Boutique Hotel Palacio, responded to this review, July 26, 2011
Thanks for yuo review, we are glad to have you as our guess.
we recommend you in you next visit booking the new segnior suite

Wilmington, NC
Reviewed July 22, 2011

Our family backpacked througthe all towns in the DR for 3 weeks so when we decided to splurge on a 'fancy' hotel for the last two days of our trip we were so glad we chose hotel palacio. The location was central, the staff attentive, and the pool and awesome breakfast made this place an excellent value. We loved everything about this place and would recommend it highly to anyone wanting a unique and charming hotel with a pool.

• Stayed July 2011
New York
Reviewed July 21, 2011

I stayed many times at the Hotel Palacio. My last stay at the Hotel Palacio was horrible. I booked through Expedia and paid extra money for an upgraded room. Even though I have stayed there over 10 times, some front desk workers look at me, like they never saw me before, cold. My last trip, I was given a room on the north side of the hotel, that room did not overlook the courtyard. No elevators for that part of the hotel. The room was on the third floor, up some narrow brick stairs.

Going up the steps, one room had its door and windows open and inside that room, it was a mess, I thought crime scene.

After traveling many hours and no sleep in more than 24 hours, I laid on the bed and fell asleep. Hotel Palacio uses a system, whereby you have to insert your room key card in a plastic box on the wall, for the air-conditioning and most of the electric, to turn on in the room. I did that when I entered the room, that day. After sleeping for a few hours, I woke up sweating. The room temperature felt like about 80-85 degrees Fahrenheit (29 Celsius). The A/C was on full blast, not blowing cold air, if there was a thermostat, I checked it to make sure it was on a cold setting. I was not happy.

I walked down to the lobby and told the woman at the front desk that I was not happy with the room. She snidely and sarcastically said to me "What the room is too cold". With that last bit of nastiness from a worker at the Hotel Palacio, I returned to the room, grabbed my luggage, which I carried down two flights of stairs and checked out. I got a room at the Hodelpa hotel in zona colonial for that night. I had stayed approximately 3 hours at the Palacio and I was charged over $100 by the Palacio.

I later sent an Email to the Hotel Palacio and they never responded. They lost my business. The owner of the Hotel Palacio is a German guy named George. I spoke with him before at the Palacio. I saw him recently on El Conde in Zona Colonial and I said hello to him and he looked at me like I was a piece of garbage and just kept walking. The manager of the Hotel is another German guy in his 40's, who is not overly friendly. Some of the workers are nice.

One time I parked my car in the inside garage at the Palacio (very small garage), some other guest parked their car behind mine and the workers did not know who it was, so I was without the use of my car for that night (I could not get it out of the garage).

One visit, the pool did not have water, for repairs.

There are other small hotels in Santo Domingo, some owned by Dominicans, that have friendly and nice owners. I prefer to stay in a hotel that has a friendly, respectful, pleasant owner. Hotel Palacio lost my business because of their poor customer service and their sometimes disrespectful manner.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank NY_Oak
HotelPalacio0, Guest Relations Manager at Boutique Hotel Palacio, responded to this review, July 24, 2011
we are very sorry for the inconvenience you have had in our hotel and also sorry you have not spoken with general manager in relation to what happened if so we would have a quick solution
after 10 times of course back in our hotel is because you had good experience in previous visits. There were many things that on that day affected you feeling, in relation to Mr george I'm sure that was perhaps not recognize you or was distracted.Because him and the general manager are very friendly and polite with the guests.
we feel really sad for what happened is not our intention
that our guests feel bad at our hotel.

Reviewed July 17, 2011

We stayed at this hotel for our honeymoon last month. The rooms were spacious and clean. The decor was inviting and tasteful and the staff was very helpful and professional. The location is ideal as it is centrally located in the colonial zone. The courtyard and tapas restaurant came in very handy when we needed to entertain some local friends. Overall it was a wonderful experience and we would certainly go back.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 139. Certainly not the fanciest but there was a king sized bed and a fabulous bath...
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Thanks for yuo review, we are glad to have you as our guess.
we recommend you in you next visit booking the new senior suite

(subject to availability)

CONGRATULATIONS ON YOUR MARRIAGE!!!

Reviewed July 15, 2011

We found this hotel using trip advisor which we use for all of our travels. This was our first trip to the DR.  The hotel was was in a good location in the Colonial City, very charming (the pictures don't lie).  Downsides - a rag for a towel at the pool, and safety issues. We were awoken at 11:30p with an older gentleman who entered our room through the 'on suite' door which was always supposed to be locked.  Evidently we had the key enterance while he had a latch to turn to enter.  Everything runs through the front desk. Want to use the gym; the front desk has to let you in. Need a towel for the pool go to the front desk.  The noise does carry in this hotel. So you hear the other rooms clearly.  It was great for a night. Bring your own pool towel and don't get a room with an 'on suite' door and you'll be fine.

• Stayed July 2011
3 Thank Bnderdntht
Hackensack, New Jersey
Reviewed July 1, 2011

I loved that the hotel is an antique landmark it gives the hotel an elegant look plus a touch of high class, a nice feel like if you were in a mansion or chateau. The service was excellent, the food was great. The people were very nice and helpflmade you feel at home, i would say better than other services in us hotels i have been to. Also this is a perfect place if you want some privacy and don''twant to be in big hotels with big crowds. In all i enjoyed my stay and would like to come again.

Room Tip: Looking for somewhat private this is the place.
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled solo
Thanks for your comment, we are glad to have you as our guests and hope to see you again to continue offering the best service and the conformity.

Best Regards