“Will be going back...”

Ranked #10 of 79 Hotels in Santo Domingo
Boston, Massachusetts, United States
“Will be going back...”
Reviewed February 11, 2014

As a whole our stay was amazing!

The only thing I would change is the menu and the casino. The Casino is lackluster, we ended up going to another one. Also the food on the menu was good and inexpensive, but would have been great to see some local cuisine.

We stayed on the 6th floor and what made our trip special were Maria and Mario. After being greeted in a very cold manner, Maria was our Housekeeping attendant and Mario was the Room Service waiter, we have been on a few trips but these two made it great. These two should give the Front Desk staff a lesson on customer service. Both happened to be off when I checked out this morning, so could not leave the tip I wanted, though we tipped everyday! Though we are planning a stay in two months, I will try and make sure they are part of my experience!!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
BarceloSantoDomingo, Director of Sales at Barcelo Santo Domingo, responded to this review, February 12, 2014
Dear Jameelee:

Thank you for coment about our hotel.

We are satisfied that our staff has made your stay a pleasant experience.

We hope to see you in April again.

Katiuska Mendez

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (114)
San Pedro de Macoris, Dominican Republic
Reviewed February 10, 2014

The hotel in relation to cost is fantastic. Decor is good, rooms are comfortable and clean, swimming pool area is relaxing and enjoyable. Of course this is Santo Domingo and staff commitment depends on who you get. Front desk I was serviced by Rubelin who was brilliant. However he went off on his lunch break and then I was confronted with an abruptive and rude woman who was quite unpleasant.
Food I thought was excellent both breakfast and dinner (did not have lunch).
Overall a nice stay.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank breakingupnow
BarceloSantoDomingo, Director of Sales at Barcelo Santo Domingo, responded to this review, February 11, 2014
Dear Traveler;

Thank you for posting your comment about our hotel in TripAdvisor.

For us it is a pleasure to satisfy you.

We hope you can visit in the future.

Richmond, Virginia, United States
Reviewed February 9, 2014

This hotel was in a nice area. We was able to walk to the mall and ride to Colonial Zona in minutes. I generally never use room service but took a shot at it and was surprised by the price, taste and service. It was wonderful. And on the last night my fiancé had champagne and chocolate dipped fruit delivered to our room, which came from the hotel. It was perfect. We had breakfast in the buffet restaurant and it was very good. And we went swimming. Nice pool. I don't have any complaints about my stay at Barceló.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Dear Traveler:

Thank your for rating and comment our hotel.

We feel happy that your stay at our hotel was satisfactory.

We hope you can to visit again.

dallas
Reviewed February 9, 2014

Average to below average.
First of all, the carpet was GROSS.
Second, I got into bed and my feet touched something odd. I lifted the bed sheets and found a pair of men's underwear stuck between the sheets. DOUBLE GROSS.
Thankfully, there were two beds in my room, so I quickly jumped into the other bed.
The staff is slow and not terribly friendly.
On the bright side, the bed was comfortable, so I slept well.

Room Tip: Uh...from what I hear, we all had issues.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Dear traveler:

Thank you for your comment.

We apologize for the inconvinience occurride during your stay.

We will take your comments as to implement improvement actions.

Excuse again.

Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed February 1, 2014

I have stayed at this hotel many times and will stay many more. This is what you come to expect from Barcelo. The Breakfast they offer is exceptional.. Everything, even their choice of lounge music playing in the background. Service is exceptional. Just get the superior rooms. It is DEFINITELY worth the extra money. Security, cleanliness, comfort, aesthetics, etc.. everything is top notch. This is about the only place I will bring my wife and daughter in Santo Domingo.

Room Tip: Upgrade to superior. Trust me..
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank IgorKogut
BarceloSantoDomingo, Director of Sales at Barcelo Santo Domingo, responded to this review, February 3, 2014
Dear Igor.

Thanks for your review.

We are very pleased that you feel satisfied with the services of our hotel.

We hope to visit again.

Best Regards,

New York City, New York
Reviewed January 30, 2014

I stayed at this Barcelo for the first time in December in order to be more conveniently located near friends and certain other conveniences in the city and was sorely disappointed in my decision. I've been visiting Santo Domingo for nearly 10 years now and have experienced a number of fine hotel properties in the city. This was among my worst experiences ever.

The service staff was often cold, aloof, and slow in responding to service requests in general, from the club level reception to the pool area to housekeeping to the restaurant staff. I bizarrely felt as if they believed that they were doing me, the paying guest, a "favor" to attend to needs or requests. Also, the club level room that I had on the 9th floor was worn and dingy. The worn, dirty carpet frightened me to the point of always wearing my Haviana sandals in the room. I will admit that the actual shower and fixtures were pleasant, but the stone counters in the bathroom seem not to have been polished properly in ages.

At the pool each day, obtaining pool towels was consistently a saddening adventure with the promise of "more towels in five minutes" actually requiring 30 to 45 minutes. And poolside service was equally abysmal, slow, and devoid of any pleasantries. Once, it took nearly 40 minutes for my son's hamburger to arrive and the staff member couldn't understand why that might be a problem as she openly smirked at my inquisition about the delay.

Lastly, on my full day at the hotel, my Blackberry was stolen from my room. When I tried to report it to the club level staff, no one seemed particularly concerned to provide any significant assistance or insight. And the promise to follow up with me via email or by phone following the famous "investigation" that was to ensue has actually never happened, even 30 days later. By comparison, I once left a phone in a taxi upon arrival at a hotel in Rio de Janeiro and the staff pulled the security tape to tract down the taxi company and successfully retrieve the phone.

I cannot recommend this hotel on any level and warn others to make much wiser decisions than I by avoiding it altogether.

Room Tip: If you must stay at this tragic property, at least attempt to obtain a room on the "renovated&q...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank DDuckett
BarceloSantoDomingo, Director of Sales at Barcelo Santo Domingo, responded to this review, February 14, 2014
Dear traveler:

Thank you for your comment.

We apologize for the inconvenience occurred during your stay.

We will investigate the incident and we will contact you.

Bronx, New York
Reviewed January 27, 2014

I had an amazing experience at the hotel Barcelo in Santo Domingo.

Rooms were great and very comfortable.Rooms were spacious and very clean. The hotel staff was very attentive and there for help. I staid at this hotel for about a week and I can say that this was one of the best hotels I have been.
Food was great.
Everything was great and I will definitely go back to Barcelo when I will go back to Santo Domingo.
I highly recommend this hotel for future travels to this beautiful city.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank DIppolito3
BarceloSantoDomingo, Director of Sales at Barcelo Santo Domingo, responded to this review, January 28, 2014
Dear traveler:

Thanks for your review and rating our hotel.

We hope you can visit us in the future.