“Poor Service, Worn Finishes”

Barcelo Santo Domingo
Ranked #10 of 79 Hotels in Santo Domingo
New York City, New York
“Poor Service, Worn Finishes”
Reviewed January 30, 2014

I stayed at this Barcelo for the first time in December in order to be more conveniently located near friends and certain other conveniences in the city and was sorely disappointed in my decision. I've been visiting Santo Domingo for nearly 10 years now and have experienced a number of fine hotel properties in the city. This was among my worst experiences ever.

The service staff was often cold, aloof, and slow in responding to service requests in general, from the club level reception to the pool area to housekeeping to the restaurant staff. I bizarrely felt as if they believed that they were doing me, the paying guest, a "favor" to attend to needs or requests. Also, the club level room that I had on the 9th floor was worn and dingy. The worn, dirty carpet frightened me to the point of always wearing my Haviana sandals in the room. I will admit that the actual shower and fixtures were pleasant, but the stone counters in the bathroom seem not to have been polished properly in ages.

At the pool each day, obtaining pool towels was consistently a saddening adventure with the promise of "more towels in five minutes" actually requiring 30 to 45 minutes. And poolside service was equally abysmal, slow, and devoid of any pleasantries. Once, it took nearly 40 minutes for my son's hamburger to arrive and the staff member couldn't understand why that might be a problem as she openly smirked at my inquisition about the delay.

Lastly, on my full day at the hotel, my Blackberry was stolen from my room. When I tried to report it to the club level staff, no one seemed particularly concerned to provide any significant assistance or insight. And the promise to follow up with me via email or by phone following the famous "investigation" that was to ensue has actually never happened, even 30 days later. By comparison, I once left a phone in a taxi upon arrival at a hotel in Rio de Janeiro and the staff pulled the security tape to tract down the taxi company and successfully retrieve the phone.

I cannot recommend this hotel on any level and warn others to make much wiser decisions than I by avoiding it altogether.

Room Tip: If you must stay at this tragic property, at least attempt to obtain a room on the "renovated&q...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank DDuckett
BarceloSantoDomingo, Director of Sales at Barcelo Santo Domingo, responded to this review, February 14, 2014
Dear traveler:

Thank you for your comment.

We apologize for the inconvenience occurred during your stay.

We will investigate the incident and we will contact you.

Katiuska Mendez

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (114)
Bronx, New York
Reviewed January 27, 2014

I had an amazing experience at the hotel Barcelo in Santo Domingo.

Rooms were great and very comfortable.Rooms were spacious and very clean. The hotel staff was very attentive and there for help. I staid at this hotel for about a week and I can say that this was one of the best hotels I have been.
Food was great.
Everything was great and I will definitely go back to Barcelo when I will go back to Santo Domingo.
I highly recommend this hotel for future travels to this beautiful city.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank DIppolito3
BarceloSantoDomingo, Director of Sales at Barcelo Santo Domingo, responded to this review, January 28, 2014
Dear traveler:

Thanks for your review and rating our hotel.

We hope you can visit us in the future.

Sao Paulo, SP
Reviewed January 27, 2014 via mobile

I am currently staying in this hotel for a business trip and it is one of the worst hotels I have stayed in. As an example I am in the restaurant and ordered a main course of grilled prawns. After about 15 minutes the waitress returned saying that they had no prawns. Rooms are not particularly clean with dirty carpets. Service is generally poor and be prepared as very few of the staff speak English.

Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
3 Thank James V
Dear James:

Thanks for your comments.

We apologize for any inconvenience caused.

We are making changes in our hotel, with the purpose of providing better service.

We will contact you to give you better assistance.

Brussels, Belgium
Reviewed January 12, 2014

We where there only for 3 nights and we where very impressed by the room and the cleaning of the room and everything else. This is in a very good location and the price was also good. Try this hotel and donot listen to bad words about the hotel because it is very very good.

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Dina H
BarceloSantoDomingo, Director of Sales at Barcelo Santo Domingo, responded to this review, January 14, 2014
Dear Traveler:

Thanks for your kind review!!

it is an honour for us, knowing that you had enjoyed your stay at our property.

Hope you and your couple have the opportunity to visit us again!!

san francisco
Reviewed January 7, 2014

The rooms are nice and updated. The decor is fine, room includes all the necessities, and is very clean. The coffee maker worked great, the shower was good, very nice shower head and shower controls. Over all the room is really good value for the money. But....

The service is what undermines the whole thing. We ordered room service for breakfast, it was middle of the week, not weekend. After over an hour we called, "oh yeah its coming, its coming" the person answered. OK, so another 30 minutes later, another call for the room service, "oh yeah we only have 1 person working so it is bit slow." A bit slow? 1Hour and 30 minutes? The minute I was ready to pickup the phone to call and say I'm not paying for this, there is a knock on the door. SO finally food is here.

We specifically ordered breakfast with no meat, and offcourse it is with the bacon, sausages etc. Not willing to wait another 2 hours, we just toss meat aside. 3 minutes later, our server comes back. "Sorry that plate with toast, its not for you, its for another room" Wow. So potentially he did same with our orders, didn't look like anybody took a bite out of the fried eggs, but who knows.

Now, 3 weeks later what really prompted me writing this review is that my credit card got fraudulently used in Santo Domingo, just today. The thing is that I only used it once to give as a deposit to the hotel. The only people in Santo Domingo ever handling the card were Barcelo Front Desk staff, the older black gentleman and his colleague an asian gentleman of the front desk. Chase is cancelling my card. But the whole thing is bad, only Barcelo staff had access to this credit card, I expected a little more integrity from Barcelo and their employees.

Room Tip: Be Careful of your credit cards, check everything and check your statements for fraud later.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank eugene n
BarceloSantoDomingo, Director of Sales at Barcelo Santo Domingo, responded to this review, January 11, 2014
Dear Eugene:

Thanks for your review!

We apologize for the inconvenience with Room service, we understand that it was a failure on our part and we ask excuses for what happened.

Regarding to the inconvenience of your credit card, please contact us directly to follow up on this. If you can email us to santodomingo.guest @ barcelo.com, we would appreciated.

We understand you had a bad experience, but please give us the opportunity to serve you again, and you can find the true Barcelo service we can offer.

Genève
Reviewed January 7, 2014

To change to the ocean front, we choose this hotel well located in the center of Santo Domingo. Excellent service in the executive 9th floor but a lot of noise the night in the rooms front to the "express way 27th Febrero". We will come back and choose rooms ocean front

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

1 Thank Daniel B
BarceloSantoDomingo, Director of Sales at Barcelo Santo Domingo, responded to this review, January 9, 2014

Thanks for your review!

We apologize for the inconveniences you had at night by the noise on the streetso. We have taken note of this, so on a next stay you do not have this drawback.

We appreciate that you have visited us and hope to have you back!.

Regards,

miami
Reviewed January 6, 2014

It is a good choice in a city where you can't find super good hotels for now, the breakfast is very good, do not stay in the rooms near the street to avoid noise. It is very close from a huge shopping mall called Sambil Santo Domingo.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank jonco007
BarceloSantoDomingo, Director of Sales at Barcelo Santo Domingo, responded to this review, January 7, 2014

Thanks for your comment!

We are pleased that you enjoyed your stay in our hotel. It is very important for us to know that our customers are satisfied with our services.

We hope you can visit us again!