“Not impressed”
Review of Boca Chica

Boca Chica
Ranked #16 of 193 things to do in Santo Domingo
More attraction details
Owner description: This scenic beach is one of the closest beach resorts to Santo Domingo.
Johannesburg, South Africa
77 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 68 helpful votes
“Not impressed”
Reviewed February 10, 2013

This is a part of the Dominican Republic I wish I had stayed away from. Obviously being near the harbour gives it that cliched look and vibe about it - not for the faint hearted! Very dirty, loud, filled with ladies of the night and beggars, it is not a place I would go back to.

Visited August 2012
3 Thank KirstenLM11

Butler, Pennsylvania
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 34 helpful votes
“Beautiful beach but the vendors where like seagulls in Ocean City Maryland. Would not leave you alone”
Reviewed February 10, 2013

Nice place . Ate at a great Italian beach front place. Market vendors did not want to barter much. Nice beach very European

Barcelona, Spain
48 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 24 helpful votes
“Nice but too many salespeople around. Prefer Guayacanes!”
Reviewed February 7, 2013

The place is nice but pretty overcrowded. Also there is a port in front of it, so there is quite a bit of noise and the view is not too nice. There are also too many people offering trinkets and massages, manicures, etc.., so one does not really get to rest and enjoy being relaxed, too much. Just a few kilometres ahead there is a far nicer beach with less people, better parking options, clearer water, and far less people trying to sell you things, called GUAYACANES. Also the sand is finer. I strongly recommend making the effort!

Visited January 2013
Santiago
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“Keep inside a hotel for safety”
Reviewed December 2, 2012

It wonders how so beautiful places like this are being ruined by their own people, Better is to stay inside a good hotel with security, there are a lot of unfriendly people around.

4 Thank radioterapeuta
New York
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 29 helpful votes
“Boca Chica: rip offs, con men, hustles, crooks!”
Reviewed November 18, 2012

Went to Boca Chica with a Dominican friend from Santo Domingo - and totally had my guard down. I had been in DR for nearly a week and had not been over charged or over sold by so much as a penny, and this false sense of safety ended up with me getting robbed by nearly $200.

Upon driving into the main drag, I was stopped by the hawkers who "sold" me on the "free" parking at a specific cafe. I initially had no plans of buying anything - or very little - so agreed to park where the guy directed me. BIG mistake - like having a local "offer" to show you where to shop. The prices will jump 10X as soon as the shop keeper sees you are with a "guide" - as there is likely a 50/50 split.

The first vendor sold me some "lambi" which is sea conch. He pointed to the price of "300 DOP" listed on his official; looking license - which would be 600 DOP or about $15 for the 2 of us. Over the next 5 minutes, he kept adding, adding, adding other stuff to the plate. In the end, he claimed it was then 2,700 DOP - as I ordered extra stuff. This of course was basic tourist rip off. But, I simply was not in the fighting mood, paid him 2500 and left it at that.

At that point, I absolutely should have left, but decided to go for a short walk and swim. I got back less than 10 mins later and my noticed my friend was picking at a plate of fried fish + fires. I later learned she had not actually ordered it, but they just place the pale in front of her anyway while I was gone. (So this is the old fried fish trick!) The bill came: 3700 for the fish + 2 drinks, which would have been 500 at most at any other place without the beach w/o all the hustlers swarming around. Knowing the growing reputation for violent crime and thinking these hustlers were simple con met by day but actually violent thugs at night, I decided to pay and just leave. I had to go to the ATM at the local bank, and sure enough the thug "showed" me how to get there. On the way back, the guy was pressing me to pay for a prostitute and/or drugs from him. That is really quite an aggressive piece of salesmanship as I was already with a girl – so how would I swing a prostitute on the side?? As I was in the vacationing rather than fighting mood, I just politely say “maybe next time”, or “maybe later”. By acting in this very polite, friendly non-aggressive manner to an aggressive thug. I clearly painted myself as a typically weak, stupid Yankee tourist from New York.

In any case, got back to the café, paid them 3500 fish rip off – yeah I bargained down all of 200 DOP - and started to gather my things to leave. The thug was just totally insistent I stay – as he told me his could sell me some drugs. And I was totally insistent on leaving right then and there.

My friend and I got into the car and started the engine. The next thing I know he gets into the back seat demanding I give him another 3000 for the drugs I have “ordered”. He refused to get out of the car – so I said I would drive back to Santo Domingo with him in the car. So I drive away headed to SD. When we get in the main highway headed back to SD, I told him to get out or I would go to the police. He then becomes very aggressive, insists on 3000 DOP for the drugs he wants to sell me, and refuses to budge – adding that we should all go to the police. Taking him up on his offer, I start to head to the airport, where I KNOW there will be police to sort this thing out.

At this point, my Dominican friend just has a fit: she insists I pay him to get him out of the car and says if I am driving to the police, she wants to out of the car at that very moment – in the pouring rain and thunder.

So, it cost me yet another 1500 DOP to get the thug out of the car.

In total: the 1 hour “lunch” in Boca Chica cost me 7,500 DOP or nearly $200. I know there are readers thinking: Gee, I would just refuse to pay and beat the stuffing out of the guy. I would note that this happened in mid November – rock bottom seasons for tourists. In fact, we were the only tourists in that entire café surrounded by about 5 of these “guides” or con men or whatever they are called. In a crowded place filled with Americans – or at least if I was alone and did not have to worry about a Dominican girl totally unprepared to deal with this – I could put on my hard New York lawyer hat and argue it out. But for $200, it just wasn’t worth it.

My point is: if you do go to Boca, AVOID AT ALL COSTS getting anywhere near any local guide, salesman, conman – whatever. If you do buy anything, see the price on the menu first. That stretch of the DR SE coast is highly impoverished. There is a massive industry in ripping off tourists – violently or otherwise.

Visited November 2012