“not a place to recommend”
Review of Hotel La Danae

Hotel La Danae
Ranked #54 of 78 Hotels in Santo Domingo
Riga, Latvia
“not a place to recommend”
Reviewed November 8, 2011

the street where La Danae is located is full of small hotels and B&Bs. we arrived without prior booking to a different hotel following feedback on web and found it closed; the Danae was next door and we decided to stay for the 1 night in Santo Domingo in there.
I must say the terrace at the entrance was the best part of the hotel.
the staff spoke very little English.
we got a room without any view. The room was not very tidy, and neither nicely decorated. It had no AC but had a noisy ventilator on the ceiling.
the breakfast was not included in the rate.
this was a year ago but if my memory does not fail me, I killed a cockroach there.
in any event, I would not go back to La Danae.

Room Tip: maybe the rooms on the 2nd floor facing street are better? not sure.
  • Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Ilse_celo

Families
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Denmark
Reviewed November 10, 2008

I enjoyed my two weeks in this small family-owned and family-run hotel in a quiet street, lined with villas and trees, in an ageing part of Santo Domingo. It is within walking distance to the historic part of the city, Zona Colonial. Prices are very sensible, and the people will take care of you in an informal but personable way.

Prepare yourself for a nice place that does not function along the lines of big 4-5 star hotels. One night I came home late and discovered that I had locked my keys in the room. Believing this to be a minor problem, I turned to the people dozing in the lounge chairs in the small reception area. They did not have keys to the rooms! Seemingly they rested with the manager's daughter who had gone home for the night. - But the two men present took a lot of trouble trying to get me past the door to my room, working on the lock and doorhandle with screwdrivers and hammers. In vain. This proved to me that these primitive locks are not easily burglarized ... They ended giving me another room for just this one night, without charging extra. A somewhat messy, but friendly place.

• Stayed October 2008