“Superb meal and service”
Review of La Taberna Vasca - CLOSED

La Taberna Vasca
Cuisines: European, French
Good for: Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Description: If French food is your dream, Taberna Vasca is your destination! Please feel to be welcome and to come and enjoy some fresh and gastronomical french food in the earth of the New World. Our french Chef will do his best to create the best culinary experience for you and your guests in one of the first house of the colonial zone of Santo Domingo.
Reviewed July 13, 2012

The Zona Colonial is heaven for a European since it makes you feel instantly at home. But the visit cannot be complete without experiencing La Taberna Vasca. This restaurant, located in a very old building has so much charm and the owner created an atmosphere that is warm, comfortable and very classy all at the same time. It reminded me of some restaurants in the French countryside, I immediately liked the ambiance and the eclectic furniture. The staff was very friendly and attentive, providing excellent service. Our group of four was treated to a delicately flavored gazpacho as a starter and Etienne gave us his expert suggestion with the wine selection. Each of us had a different item from the menu, ranging from meat to seafood and we were all impressed with the high quality, fantastic flavors and reasonable prices.
It was my favorite restaurant in the Zona Colonial by far and if my travels bring me back to Santo Domingo I will make La Taberna Vasca my first stop.

1  Thank sanarysurmer

Reviewed July 1, 2012

My husband and I tried La Taberna Vasca after walking past it a few times and being intrigued. We had already eaten in lots of places in the Zona Colonial and had loved most of them, but this pretty much topped them all. We went back a number of times in the week we were there - couldn't resist it!

It's almost worth going just to see the place. It's crammed full with random furniture and decoration, all of which belongs to the French owner, who is wonderfully friendly. It's by far the most original and unique restaurant we've ever seen...and we eat out a lot....

The food is fantastic. I would recommend the selection of ceviche to start - by far the best ceviche we have ever had. There are really original flavours - coconut milk being a particularly interesting and surprisingly good one! For our main dish we had paella with lobster. It was absolutely divine, and was very generous on the seafood, which is sometimes hard to find in a paella. I have to confess we had it every time we went back because it was so good, so I can't comment on much else on the menu. But I would go back again and again to try more....

Finally, the service was excellent. Izaac the waiter was incredibly attentive and efficient and made the whole evening for us. And the price is very reasonable considering it's some of the best food in the city, in my opinion.

I can't wait to go back!

Reviewed June 23, 2012

Best French restaurant in town, and one of the best in Santo Domingo.

Reviewed May 10, 2012

Probably the best restaurant in the colonial city. In a very old colonial house with antiques and interesting art work. The owner is French and is gradually moving the menu from Basque to classical French. The service is excellent (our table for two had two waiters dedicated to serving us). The owner is trying to improve his waiters' English and asked us not to speak Spanish to them during the meal, which makes him a thoughtful employer.

I had a generous portion of perfectly tender and well sauced sweetbreads and kidneys and my wife had quail, which was marvelous. The fresh anchovy appetizer (with an oil, vinegar, and garlic vinaigrette plus capers) was also excellent. Also, the meal started with an amuse bouche (homemade gazpacho) and ended with a choice of three digestifs--all complimentary. Drinks during the meal included a great mojito and a selection of very good wine (unusual for the Caribbean). The meal came to approximately $100US for the two of us, but you could spend half as much if you go easy on the wine and cocktails. This is a great restaurant.

Most food in the Caribbean is, frankly, terrible. This restaurant was a very welcome respite.

Reviewed May 6, 2012

We are local guys who like to enjoy good food. The food was excellent!, with no objection at all !.
Service is an issue; Waiters have the best of intentions, but no a great result.
Red snapper with shrimp sauce was amazing and Creme brûlée magnific !!!!

1  Thank AntonEgoGourmet