“central and well priced” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Discovery

Hotel Discovery
Ranked #66 of 79 Hotels in Santo Domingo
St Martin
“central and well priced”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 22, 2013

Hotel Discovery is a small hotel at one corner of Parque Independencia. It is 100 yards from El Conde, restaurants shops etc. This is NOT A BEACH HOTEL. It's in the heart of the city. But for meeting people and business trips it is economical and well located.

Rooms vary from very small single rooms to more spacious rooms with a balcony. They aren't luxurious. But they are clean and pleasant with a/c and TV. (some English Channels).

Price varies from $33 to $76.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank YodaGuy

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 17, 2013

I paid 20 days in advance because of a job in santo domingo! I had a health issue 5 days into it ,went to the hospital got a bill and the supervisor on the job gave me a plane ticket home because of unfit for duty , So I returned to the hotel with proof of what had happened. The staff all of a sudden couldn't speak any English ! (I was asking for a refund for 14 nights) oh by the way , expedia said I would be paying 37 a night when I booked but when I got there it was 43 per night and 7 dollars tax each night ! I gave them 1,000 usd for 20 nights and was asking for my 700 left !4 hours later they said they'd pay me back but the had to see what expedia what was gonna charge them 15 to 20% and take it off accordingly , LIES!!!! so now there phones and computers don't work ! 10oclock the next morning I had to leave for the airport and they kept saying we have to wait to hear from expedia! I get home to the states and call expedia and they tell me they never charge !! but the owner emailed them and said they were gonna charge me 28% (there was no intent on paying me back)!!! for 2 weeks every day calling expedia for help The lies from the owner Heriberto Hernandez ! where I tried but it couldn't go through! then he said he was gonna pay me 550 usd another deceitful week goes by and he emails me and asks if I have paypal I said yes and 2 days later I get a payment of 530 from paypal ! ! wheres the rest, you LIERS ! and by the way the picture of the room at the top of this page was the 1st room I stayed in nice until the roaches took over I told them about it and they sprayed sugar water because even more came out that night! they didn't believe me so I got a piece of toilet paper and caught 2 and put them in a ziplock bag and took it to the front desk , so they put me on the top floor with a room with a broke air conditioner ! I sat on the toilet to take a dump and here comes a roach out of the the bottom of the door frame and another came from the back of the toilet from a 2 inch hole in the floor so I snag them up in a ziplock bag and take them to the front desk and threatin to open it on there desk so he gives me another room a large one good air but one night later 4 roaches pop out so I went down to the desk and said gimme my money by tomorrow and the manager didnt believe me he wanted to see so we go up to the room and 2 more came out by the bed ! So my advice to you is pay night by night and keep your luggage sealed up at all times !its a popular prostitute house ! if you want to be lied to like a rug this is for you !u ask why didnt I just jump to somewhere else ? well it is a good location for anything goes !but every motel is already booked and is 120 a night ! and if you don't speak any Spanish u are very handicapped !!!! it is very hard to communicate there !!!

• Stayed April 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles

Travelers are raving about these Santo Domingo hotels

B
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 16, 2013

It's tough finding a hotel that has single rooms in Santo Domingo, but this one has. At very interesting prices. The location is great too, next to the Parque de Independencia and the entrance of the main pedestrian Conde street. You have a great view from the upper floor. Good internet connection.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank nicofavo
New Orleans
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 5, 2013

Hotel Discovery is a clean, well-run hotel in a good location for all sights in the Zona Colonial.
The staff was very helpful and friendly. There'a a nice view from the rooftop with wifi access.
Some rooms have small balconies facing the street, but the interior ones are good also tho' a bit small and without a window.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2013

If your are aiming for cheap and cheerful in the Zona Colonial, this is a great option. The hotel is located across the street from Parque Independencia and is kitty corner to El Conde.
While the accomodations are not luxurious by any stretch, the beds are comfortable. The furnishings are somewhat dated and show their ware but this is not uncommon in the DR.

The beds are outfitted with just a sheet but you can request a blanket if you are still cold (I did). You should also be know that most rooms do not have a mini-fridge but you can request one (at a daily cost) if you want to keep drinks/food cold.

As noted in other reviews, this hotel has inside rooms (quieter but darker) and exterior rooms (brighter but noiser) -- this is a very busy intersection with traffic (taxis, guaguas, buses) at all hours.

The staff is very pleasant and most speak reasonable English. As I was visiting friends. it is worth noting that this is one of the few hotels in the Zona that allows guests to enter the hotel (maximum of two guest) provided that they surrender their ID at the desk. This allowed me to entertain on the 4th floor terrace (with small swimming pool) and saved the expense of always having to go outside to chat.

The prices are reasonable for this area and you can get a discount by paying cash (DOP or USD). Just negotiate with the receptionist when you check in. They do accept Visa, Master Card and American Express which is not always the case in DR.

Room Tip: If you want quiet, ask for an inside room. If you want access to the outside, request an exterior fa...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank TOVoyageur
London, England, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2012

A great rate for such a good location, just off the start of Calle el Conde in the Zona Colonial. The hotel is clean and functional. But it's by no means luxurious.
Our room was located off the indoor courtyard. So no view of the outside. It was a shame not to have a source of natural light, and we felt a little exposed by the window that looked out on to the indoor courtyard - the curatins were a little gappy. However, considering how busy the square is we were not troubled by noise at all, so don't know if it's best to have a street-facing view anyway...
The kitchenette was ok, but the fridge was broken and had been unplugged. So not very useful and not a nice smell to be greeted by.
However, I must say that the staff were friendly and helpful. One receptionist arranged for us to meet with the security guard so he could guide us to the right guagua for a day trip. Having toured the island, before leaving we returned to Santo Domingo with our luggage. Having a few hours to kill, we thought about asking the hotel staff if we could leave our bags. Despite our stay being over they were completely happy to help - lots of places wouldn't be so accommodating.
So, in summary, good staff save this hotel, but it's not the kind of place where you hang about in your room. Then again, at the price, what more can you expect?

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2010

Stayed for one night on July 5th, when we walked into hotel it looked very clean, we were assigned a room on the second floor; when we walked into the room it was more like a closet, the AC barely worked. Went out to get dinner, when we opened the door and turned the lights on, there were roaches all over the floor and there was water pouring into the room from the AC. Called front desk and asked to change rooms, when when got to the other room which faced parque independencia we discovered two roaches...at this point we decided it was just for the night and place our luggage on the second bed...first thing in the morning we checked out.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple