“Hold On Tight... Cross your fingers and Toes... Nothing Spectacular”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of El Limon

El Limon
Book In Advance
More Info
$93.99*
and up
Wilderness Day Trip from Samaná Including 4x4, Horseback Riding, and El Limón...
Fitchburg, Massachusetts
47 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 110 helpful votes
“Hold On Tight... Cross your fingers and Toes... Nothing Spectacular”
Reviewed February 14, 2014

For being the tallest in the Domincan Republic or so we were told... El Limon is just o.K. It's a really rugged ride on horseback, on horses that seem very overworked and under fed to say the least; its a difficult ride for an experienced as well as an amature rider, even if you have a guide leading. I suppose you could always hoof it in, but be prepared to be sharing the trail with horses struggling to get tourists to the waterfall.It seems as though the horses are suffering under the weight of heavy tourists and there are lots of places to really get hurt for animals and humans alike. The helmets are in really rough shape. we had a hard time finding one that didn't have some sort of damage. Forget the stinky used rubber boots they will not help. Hold on for dear life! One horse threw a shoe, yet another slipped and lost his rider. The trail there is very narrow slippery and full of rocks. Its amazing more people do not get seriously injured.The trail is overcrowded. The waterfall is just O.K. .There are many more beautiful waterfalls in the world that I have visited. If you have any physical limitations or have any other major health issues do not attempt this. This is not for families with small children. We were happy to get back in one piece.Very rustic bathroom facilites located at the top of waterfall.

Visited March 2013

26 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 71 helpful votes
“Not worth the trip!”
Reviewed February 11, 2014

If you want an excursion, pick something else. It was really not worth it. They don't tell you the facts on how bad it is to get there. The horseback ride is grueling, I felt sorry for the poor horses who looked very skinny and overworked. Each person is assigned a guide who directs the horse along a path which is about 2 to 3 foot wide, very muddy, full of rocks and hard for the horses to navigate. I have a fear of heights also which made my experience even worse, every time the horse got near the edge of the path, I thought I was going to go over the edge. Having been told by the person who booked this trip it was all flat ground, I was horrified when we got to the first steep hill, up one hill and down another steep hill and so on. This part takes about 20 minutes to get to another adventure, you are then climbing down about 200 steps (these steps are rocky, muddy and very uneven). We then got to a clearing where local merchants had souvenirs you could purchase and soft drinks. It was another short walk to the waterfall which was nice but not as gorgeous as what we thought, a pool of muddy water at the bottom (we thought it was going to be a clear pool for swimming or so we were told). After taking pictures, we began the journey back and those 200 steps I mentioned - now you get to climb up and if you have any physical handicaps, you are in trouble as some people struggled here. Then back on those poor horses again for another 20 minutes back. I would advise that if you have any physical limitations, avoid this excursion and think about the poor horses. Another thing to consider, the person who booked our trip told us the guides were paid by them. When you are almost at the end of your journey, the guides will tell you they are not paid and give you a price. Be prepared to bring some money with you for that also. Better yet, go on a different trip, the falls are Ok but certainly not worth the aggravation of getting there.

Visited January 2014
5 Thank Mara B
Gatineau, Quebec
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 27 helpful votes
“El Limon Waterfall Amazing!!”
Reviewed January 16, 2014

My friend and I visited El Limon in November. We flew out of Punta Cana Airport to Samana. We then got on a buggy which drove us from the airport through a small villages to the El Limon Ranch. The ride was ok. At the ranch they insisted that we purchase boots indicating that riding with sandals was not advantageous. We refused and said we would manage. As a previous review stated, the horses looked malnourished and tired. I honestly felt really bad for these horses, they were so thin. My friend and I were both assigned a guide to walk our horses. The trail itself is not at all a comfortable ride. There are alot of rocky hills and a few times I thought my horse was going to collapse given the mud and rocks making it slippery and the horse looking so frail. The ride is about 20 to 30 min each way. Once we arrived at the falls, we get a view at the top of the falls and then walk down to the bottom of the fall which is absolutely amazing. There are a lot of people there at once so that is unfortunate. Our guides were very nice, taking our cameras to take pictures of us. They were very patient. We spent approx 30 min there. The climb back up could be difficult for people with cetain health conditions or disability. Once we got back to the ranch, we were offered a nice lunch. The hospitality was fantastic. Then we head out to the ocean for a boat ride to an Island where we got to relax and swim for about an hour. Then back on the boat to the buggy to the airport. Overall I thought we got our money's worth for this trip. Bring a lot of tip money because it seemed like we had to tip just about everybody for everything. We didn't but many did. Tip the pilot, tip those for the boat ride, tip the ranch, tip the guide etc.

Visited November 2013
1 Thank Tropicalchick75
Los Angeles, California
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Animal abuse to the max!”
Reviewed December 11, 2013

It was a day I regret to this day. The horses are in a terrible state! They are old, skinny and malnourished. They all look in pain and defeated. On top of that, the rocky and muddy road is definitely not suitable for these animals. At the end of the road there is an open area where they sell some jewelry and paintings. They also sell jewelry looking like made of shark teeth but actually made of horse teeth. I cannot begin to describe how horrific these animals looked. Upon contacting several animal care centers in the country I was told that the horse owners hardly have any money to feed them. If you are an animal lover, this tour will break your heart.

Visited December 2013
6 Thank Vspcitizen
Bozeman, Montana, United States
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“santi rancho tour”
Reviewed November 21, 2013 via mobile

Overall, our group of 3 had a fun trip and felt it was worth it. However, being on a tight budget, we were surprised the learn that the guides were not included in the 1000 peso fee we each payed to the travel company. They walked beside us, and did work hard, but also reminded us how difficult the walk was for them! I am happy to support a local economy, but it is also frustrating that at times tourists feel they are being taken advantage of. Glad we chose horses instead of hiking (would have been a long hot bike but do able for enthusiasts) and the lunch they served us was excellent. A great day trip away from the beaches of Las Terrenas where we are staying,

Visited November 2013