“Check out this beautiful, isolated bay for a swim and a snack” 5 of 5 bubbles

$75.00*
and up
Mega Bite Volcano Snorkeling Tour
More attraction details
Owner description: This marine reserve, established to preserve the bay and marine area, offers the chance to ocean kayak and view dolphins and whales.
dc
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 28 helpful votes
“Check out this beautiful, isolated bay for a swim and a snack”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2014

During a five-day trip to Dominica, we had intended to check out Champagne Beach, but the day we drove over to the area, it was packed with cruise ship tourists. At the advice of a local, we instead drove down to Scotts Head (about 20 minutes south of Champagne Beach). We drove through the town until we reached the southern, stoney beach.

Initially, it was quite isolated. There were a few snorkelers far out, but we were the only ones near the stoney beach and went for a quick swim to cool off. (We decided not to snorkel, but there were locals offering us gear).

It was a beautiful, sunny day and fantastic to bob in the gorgeous blue waters surrounded by the the brightly-colored village of Scotts Head and the green hills of Dominica.

We weren't able to totally avoid the cruise ship group as they came down on some kind of bus tour, but they appeared to be simply taking in the view -- they didn't go in for a swim and stayed far enough away from where we were swimming that it was no bother.

After swimming, we stopped in one of the local restaurants for some fresh-caught Mahi Mahi and a beer.

1 Thank charlie1715

Johnson City, Tennessee
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Champagne Reef, Wow!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 2, 2014

I have almost no experience snorkeling, but Champagne Reef was a blast, I greatly enjoyed it! I saw plenty of fish and coral, etc. The $2.00 (US) fee goes to the Reserve.

2 Thank ETN_Mtn_Home
New Berlin, Wisconsin
38 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 67 helpful votes
“Fantastic snorkeling!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2014

While this was only my 2nd time snorkeling, I was amazed by the coral reefs and the brightly colored fish & marine life I saw. We also went to Champagne reef and I thought Scotts Head had the better experience if I had to choose. The iridescent fish were a sight to see! We rented our snorkel gear from Melvina's Restaurant up the road (just north of Champagne reef) for $20EC each which we felt was way worth it for the view! Watch out for sea urchins if you enter the water off the rocks!

1 Thank Oatgirl12
Exeter, United Kingdom
18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 89 helpful votes
“Good snorkelling”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 30, 2014

The dropoff at Scotts Head is a great spot to snorkel - you just go in right off the little beach near the point. I saw turtle, octopus, eels and countless fish.

Visited January 2014
1 Thank christine r
Portsmouth, Dominica
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Awesome”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 12, 2013

I swam there and it is totally amazing. There is so much sea life in the water there. I would love to go again. Also the people I met there were very helpful and kind.

Visited May 2013