“Worth the Effort!”

$125.00*
and up
Morne Trois Pitons National Park Hiking Tour to Boiling Lake
More attraction details
Owner description: Said to be the second largest in the world, this hot springs lake is a caldron of gray-blue water at a temperature ranging from 180 to 197 degrees Fahrenheit; a full-day rigorous hike with a guide is needed to visit this awesome sight.
Reviewed August 14, 2014

A tough hike that rewards with great views along the way, a fascinating volcanic lake, the 'Valley of Desolation', hot springs to relax in and then to celebrate at the end of a long hard day, playing in the refreshingTitou Gorge! A full day to say the least, but our family loved it.

I agree with many of the other posts here that you don't really need a guide as the trail is pretty straightforward (in good weather), and if you got the wrong guide it could possibly feel like a waste of money. The guide (and taxi) we used was spectacular though, and I'd highly recommend Sea Cat to anyone visiting. His knowledge of the area, the vegetation and enthusiasm to share his island's beauty really did make it worthwhile for us. In the past 3 months, we've run into many cruisers who did the hike by themselves and when we ask about many of the details about the hike or Titou Gorge, they didn't get to see or experience quite as much without the local knowledge. Either works and everyones perspective is different, but we also found that the time spent with Sea Cat, his familu and his Boat Boys gave us a lot better insight to the wonderful people of Dominica. During the cruising season he averages at least a couple trips a week to the Boiling Lake so clearly enjoys the hike himself as there are easier hikes he could specialize in.

Are you fit enough to do the hike? You need to be in reasonable shape to enjoy it, but we know lots of people who have, who when you first see them you wouldn't have expected they could have....I think their attitude is what made the difference. Our 12 and 14 year old kids were fine, my wife and I were a bit stiff the next day, but not enough to regret going. If you're not sure you are up for it, I would suggest going with Sea Cat to Victoria Falls first. After that, he'll be able to suggest whether he recommends Boiling Lake or not for you.

We moored our sailboat in front of Sea Cat's house while in Roseau and also went with him to Victoria Falls. While we anchor 90+% of the time, Roseau isn't comfortable anchoring as it shelves quickly and is quite a gravelly bottom. Water is available from his dingy dock with a long hose also and Dominica has great water.

2  Thank Canada C
There are newer reviews for Boiling Lake

Reviewed August 7, 2014

The Boiling Lake hike is a very beautiful hike that takes you through an amazing forest to a very special place. The hike can be difficult for some because it is mainly done with steep staircases and some of the steps are very high. It takes an overall of 6 hours to be done.
Now,,,,BE AWARE!!!! Don't be misleading, you DON'T NEED A GUIDE to do this hike. The trail is very well maintained, easy to follow, and as soon as you arrive at the Valley of Desolation it is very easy to see the trail on the other side of the valley. Every single guide book, and most people in Dominica will advice you to hire a guide. This is your choice, but know that you are going to be charged $80 - $90 for the trip (2 people). We hired a guide and couldn't believe we actually didn't need him at all. However, it was nice to hear the botanical knowledge of the native people.

2  Thank Isabelle M
Reviewed August 2, 2014

One of the advanced hike i took ever- takes almost 4 hrs to reach -trek thru rain forest, valley of desolation ( hot sulphur springs) ,crossing river streams . Climb rocks -however once you reach Boiling Lake, it was a wonderful sight- worth it- Boiling lake is the 2nd largest after one in NZ. After coming back you dive into a Titou Gorge- cool relaxing water - where Pirates of Caribbean was shot.
Recommend it to all adventure lovers

2  Thank Shrikant1960
Reviewed July 30, 2014

First we used Peter Green of Bushman Tours. He made the journey delightful and was well worth the expense (USD100). The journey is a bit challenging. You need to be in moderate health and being very fit just makes it easier. My son struggled a bit but I found it refreshing. The 6 plus miles hike follows a wandering trail up and down over several peaks, around and across streams, and through thick woods. You visit the two valleys of desolation where volcanic heated steam rises from the ground spitting. You also see various mineral colored earth as you walk on. You finally arrive at the boiling lake and, yes, it is boiling. Pictures can be difficult but you just need to wait a bit and watch as the steam lifts, then snap quickly. All in all a great journey and terrific hike. Relax in Titou Gorge afterwards and delight in the waterfall inside the cave.

Reviewed July 22, 2014

I'm a pretty avid hiker... but, a little odd in that I don't like hikes where it looks like I could fall of the edge of a trail, plunging to injury... hopefully, you get my point... I decided, I was in Dominica, and, I was going to give it a try (I could have always turned stopped, turned around, right ;)), and, while I wouldn't have known disappointment for not doing it, after doing it, I can say it is, so far, tied for the number one hike of my life (Havasupai in the Grand Canyon, for unique beauty is what causes the tie). Is it easy, no! Is it worth it, yes! I was fortunate enough to vacation in Dominica for two weeks (including Carnival... spectacular), even more fortunate that my hosts are now residents, with a lot of insight on not only what to see. They weren't physically prepared to do the hike, so, arranged a guide for me... personally, it isn't a hike I would try alone... know others did, and, I'm not saying it's impossible to do... but, my guide was asked a lot of questions by those without guides. They knowledge they have of the trail and surroundings is well worth the cost!