“Awe-inspiring!”

$125.00*
and up
Morne Trois Pitons National Park Hiking Tour to Boiling Lake
More attraction details
Owner description: Said to be the second largest in the world, this hot springs lake is a caldron of gray-blue water at a temperature ranging from 180 to 197 degrees Fahrenheit; a full-day rigorous hike with a guide is needed to visit this awesome sight.
Reviewed March 7, 2013

Not for the faint of heart or the weak of knees! Boiling Lake is a serious undertaking, but it requires lots of willingness to walk up and down stairs, river beds, boulders, loose rock, etc. The Valley of Desolation is like walking through a minor version of Yellowstone with no safety rails. Do not attempt it without a good guide!

All reviews
in 6 reviews
"hot springs"
in 15 reviews

Reviewed March 6, 2013

It is a long (~7 hour) hike of muddy stairs pretty much the entire way, but totally worth it! On the way to the lake you incidentally climb a mountain, Morne Nichols I believe, and then have some awesome views from the top. After that you descend from the mountain and into the Valley of Desolation, which, contrary to it's name, is actually incredibly beautiful. Then it's a bit more hiking and you arrive at the lake. The lake itself is often surrounded by mist, but we were definitely able to see the rolling boil of the water. On the way back there are some lovely hot sulfur pools to soak in, which feel excellent on sore muscles. We did take a guide, which was helpful in the VoD, where there is no specific trail, and also interesting during the walk because he pointed out plants and birds.

If this hike was 7 hours of flatness it would be easy. If it was 1 mile of steep terrain it would be easy. The combination of length and terrain was what made it difficult. I would not recommend this hike for a couch potato, but if you are in reasonably good shape and take it slowly it is definitely worth the work. Beautiful views throughout the entire hike! And the Kubuli you can buy from the ladies at the trail head tastes like heaven at the end. :)

Reviewed February 23, 2013

It is a GREAT experience, but it is a grueling hike up those stairs! Suck it up. It'll be worth it in the end.

Reviewed February 5, 2013

Let me start off by saying this is not an easy hike, I can see how some people think it's very difficult. Myself, my husband, and another couple, all in our mid-thirties did this hike with relative ease in just over 4 hours. Yes it is a lot of uphill and downhill, there are slippery steps and mud, you WILL get wet and muddy during this hike. I did not think it was anywhere near the exertion level implied in some of the reviews I read prior to going. There were several other groups that did seem fairly wiped out and took twice as long as us though, so I think it's hugely based on personal fitness level and outdoor experience. Being from rural Alaska we have extensive hiking experience and feel very at home in the outdoors so this was no big deal to us. If you're from downtown LA, probably a totally different story.

As far as having a guide, it is probably recommended for most, but I honestly don't think it's a must. If we went back I would not take one. The trail is clearly marked the entire way except through the Valley of Desolation. It picks up down the Valley from where it stops at your descent and you could find it if you looked around a bit. For a time saver it's probably easier with a guide, but safety wise I felt it was pretty much common sense where to not step as far as subjecting yourself to possible burns in the boiling water. I get the impression there are several guides a day who do this so you probably could wait around for another group to show up if you truly didn't know where to go after awhile. There are several very nice warm pools the guides know of that most people probably wouldn't know they could use on their own, that alone is pretty valuable.

The views are great, the boiling lake is pretty cool. The hike up and down has a LOT of steps, and they apparently were built by giants because at 5'1" it was quite the stretch for my short legs. None of us were really sore the next day though, a little tightness in our calves from so many stairs but not a big deal. I would say if you are not in shape, seriously overweight, have knee or hip problems this might not be your cup of tea. If you have any question of your ability just make sure to start early and take your time.

4  Thank AKGirl1883