Tripadvisor
Roseau
Post
Inbox
Search
All reviews lobster restaurant service roger partying diving island dominica
Selected filters
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Our family stayed at Sunset Bay in December, 2019. Setting was very peaceful, as the hotel is small (just 12 rooms) and located outside the busy towns. Landscaping was beautiful. Rooms were simple (no TV, no AC), clean, and comfortable. The ceiling fans provided adequate cooling for us.

Best feature of Sunset Bay is the small beach, just a few steps away from the rooms. (Most Dominica hotels are at or above the coastal highway's level, so you have a steep climb down to the beach.) We enjoyed sunbathing, swimming, and snorkeling. We saw more colorful fish while snorkeling than at Champagne Reef, as the water was clearer at Sunset Bay.

There is a first-class restaurant open for all meals. Dinner choices are mostly seafood, but with a little advance notice the chef was able to provide menu
options for our vegetarian daughter.

The receptionist helped us arrange excursions and airport pickup. The restaurant provided picnic lunches for us when we were on full day excursions. Overall, a great experience.

Date of stay: December 2019
sunsetbayclub, Secretary / Receptionist at Sunset Bay Club & SeaSide Dive Center, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

We thank you for visiting and are happy that we were able to meet up to your expectation and render adequate service. It was our pleasure serving you.
Thank you for the review.

Reviewed May 14, 2019

Not a fan. The service was really terrible. I arrived at 2 pm, there was no one in the reception, and when I asked to check in, I was told “someone would be with me.” I waited around 10 minutes, which was fine, but it was very awkward as no one told me where to wait or what to do in the meantime (for example, “sit here, would you like anything? We will be with you shortly” would have been nice. The rest of the check in actually went okay, but I was not given essential information like when breakfast is or the wifi password. The restaurant service was really bad. One night I waited 45 minutes for my check after asking 3 people for it. The room was fine, they did give me ice every day which was nice. The water was also fine to drink because my understanding is that they use a separate system from the rest of the island. I did not get sick. They were nice enough to prepare early breakfast for me because I went diving early, but one day they did forget and that made me late. It was fine because I wanted the breakfast, but it seemed like it might be because the staff was sort of partying the night before. I also got the impression that there were very few guests actually staying there, so I would have actually expected better service. One redeeming quality was the owners. They were very nice, especially Marsella (sp?), but I also liked Roger. They would check on me each evening and ask how my day was. One night Roger even gave me a bicardi shot! I think it was probably not straight (maybe some added sugar) but it was a nice gesture all the same! The staff were also just in general not very friendly. Overall, I probably would not stay here again and I wouldn’t recommend it to anyone else either. The food was pretty good, but VERY expensive. The lobsters they over-advertise are very small and need to be left to make more baby lobsters. The drinks are also not very good. The rum punch, T-punch, white wine, and rose were all not great. I ended up just getting a passion-fruit juice and rum which was good but quite basic.

Date of stay: December 2018
  • Trip type: Traveled solo
Reviewed July 24, 2018

This hotel made me feel like I was really getting a break from the hustle and bustle of life. Being situation next to the beach is already relaxing by itself. I enjoyed the fact that there was no television in the room so that I could focus on relaxing. The food also tasted very good; both dinner and breakfast.

I would recommend here to anyone seeking a getaway or break.

Date of stay: July 2018
  • Trip type: Traveled with family
1  Thank BrentonHilaire
sunsetbayclub, Front Desk Rep. at Sunset Bay Club & SeaSide Dive Center, responded to this reviewResponded January 30, 2019

Dear Mr. Hilaire, we are pleased to know that we were able to provide the relaxing environment that you were seeking. Some may see the fact that there's no television as a turn off, but as you mentioned, this caused no issue to you since the main purpose of your getaway was 100% relaxation.

Reviewed April 6, 2018

I can't believe I forgot to review this place. There was a group of 8 of us and we ended up taking the all inclusive option at Sunset Bay. We all had a great time and we were SOOOO glad we picked this place. My mother and I spent weeks hunting for a place that would meet everyone's wants (no easy fete with 8 people). This place actually popped up for the first time on one of the very last searches I did before I was ready to throw my hands up and just randomly pick a place. This place came up and I was like...what the....where oh where did this come from? I sent it to my mother and she was like...wait how did we miss this before? Anyway....the place was adorable with smaller buildings of like three or four different rooms nestled in between trees and walking paths. The beach wasn't the best I've been to in my life...but Dominica isn't really known for its perfect white beaches that people think of when they envision the Caribbean. Overall...it was a nice beach and we enjoyed walking along it. The food was good...with different options every night. They were very accommodating with a different vegetarian meal every night for the one vegetarian in our group. A couple nights....some of us wished we could have had her meal! The all inclusive was very reasonable and included alcoholic beverages....BIG mistake with our crew! The pool area looked nice....but the weather was rainy and chilly all week, so we did not make use of it. They offer a complimentary snorkeling trip...which was fun, despite the wind and rain. If we are ever back in Dominica we would stay here again! I know this place was up for sale when we were there...hopefully the new owners will continue to make this place shine. Of all the hotels we passed...this place definitely had the nicest outdoor space/grounds.

Room tip: Try to avoid the first row near the restaurant. Ours had great views of the river.
Date of stay: May 2017
  • Trip type: Traveled with family
1  Thank stacyc006
sunsetbayclub, Front Desk Rep at Sunset Bay Club & SeaSide Dive Center, responded to this reviewResponded January 30, 2019

Thank you for this review, we are happy that we were able to offer a pleasant and satisfying service to you and your family.

Reviewed November 8, 2017

This place is great! It may not be the fanciest place I have ever stayed, but the staff and scenery more than make up for it.

There are a number of rooms including a "honeymoon suite" that vary from sea view to garden view.

The pool is in a private area and has certain days of the week that are "naturalist" friendly. There is also a sauna by the pool.

Marcella is great for meeting your needs for the trip. She can help arrange trips to anywhere on the island or diving from the onsite dive center. There is much to do on this beautiful island and it is impossible to do it all in one trip.

There is an excellent restaurant onsite. People across the island come here for the lobster dinner, but in truth, all the food is great!

My husband and I have stayed at Sunset Bay several times. We love it so much that we decided to get married there! I can't wait to return!

Date of stay: March 2017