“Bumpiing Tours with Levi”

Middleham Falls & Ti Tou Gorge
Half Day Jeep Safari
Ranked #1 of 33 things to do in Roseau
Glen Rock, Pennsylvania
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Bumpiing Tours with Levi”
Reviewed February 2, 2013

This is my first review. Until now, I had never felt strongly enough about a tour to take the time to review it, but the tour of Middleham Falls, Titou Gorge, and Trafalgar Falls by Levi in Dominica was really outstanding. My husband and I have taken 12 cruises and done many excursions of all types and this one was the most incredible by far!

We were going to be in Dominica as a stop on a cruise and were only staying from 7:00 am to 3:00 pm, so I was a little worried about booking a non-cruise-line excurson, so I emailed Levi with my concerns and he assured us that he could provide a nice tour and have us back to the ship on time. The emails were very reassuring and Levi provided answers to all of my questions.

We got off of the ship at about 7:30 in the morning and although we were a little early, Levi was there waiting for us. It turned out that we were the only ones that booked a tour with him that day, so it was our own private tour. We hopped into a minivan and Levi offered us a drink of bottled water. He also said he had beer for us for later if we wanted.

He then took us to the trail that leads to Middleham Falls. My husband and I are in our late 40's and in fairly good shape - although we don't work out regularly. The hike to the falls took about 45 minutes to an hour and was pretty strenuous and rocky. Levi gauged his pace based on how heavy we were breathing and stopped regularly to talk all about the island, to show us local plants and flowers, etc. At the falls, there is a platform with great views of the falls. Middleham Falls are gorgeous - 300 feet tall with a beautiful pool all set in the middle of a tropical rain forest. Levi then asked if we wanted to swim, and although I am a wimp and the water was cold, we both decided to go for it. It was well worth it! We swam across the pool with the spray of the waterfall in our faces to a cave on the other side of the pool. Levi helped us up into the cave where we stood and took in the sights before jumping over the rocks and back into the pool. It was quite an adventure. When people ask us about our cruise vacation, the first thing we do is pull out a picture of my husband swimming in the pool at the bottom of Middleham Falls. It was quite spectacular. As we hiked back to the car, we came across the first people we had seen since we got to the trail. It was one other couple with a guide heading towards the falls.

Our next stop was Titou Gorge. After a very short hike, we put on swim belts. Levi had brought them as a safety precaution because the current can be quite strong in the gorge. We put them in and hopped in the water. It was cold again, but unbelievable. We swam up the gorge which consists of a river cutting through sheer stone cliffs covered with rain forest canopy above. It was kind of like swimming through a cave. At the top was a waterfall that we could climb up and them jump over the rocks back into the water. A group of 20-somethings had also shown up without a guide, so Levi helped them out by giving them a hand where they needed it and showing them where they should go. After swimming back downstream, we stopped where warm water comes out of the rock and enjoyed a mini-shower.

After this, we were headed to Trafalgar Falls, but we needed to wait until after the cruise patrons left, so Levi took us on a driving tour, pointing out all kinds of interesting sites, plants, etc. We stopped at some boiling springs where the hot springs come out the earth hot enough to boil. It was interesting but smelled like sulphur. After this, we headed to the falls. It was a short hike to a platform where we could view the falls and I'm sure this is where the cruise tours end. Levi, however, took us down into the water pools which were filled with 100 degree water. It was like sitting in a natural hot tub in the middle of paradise! Again we were alone - just the three of us in one of the most beautiful places on earth.

After soaking for a little while, Levi took us back to our ship with plenty of time to spare.

I can't say enough good things about this tour. I would like to go back to Dominica someday and if I do, I would hire Levi to show us the entire island.

8 Thank Laura111222

Jacksonville, Fl
36 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 33 helpful votes
“fun hiking”
Reviewed February 1, 2013

Middleham falls hike was our favorite Dominica hike. Wear hiking boots if you have them. Ti Tou Gorge was challenging to find but worth the effort. Also go to Trafalgar Falls while in the area.

Sperryville, Virginia
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Other-worldly”
Reviewed January 25, 2013

Swimming up Ti Tou Gorge was amazing. I was lucky enough to be in it completely alone. What an awesome experience!

Visited December 2012
Hamburg
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 52 helpful votes
“a must do”
Reviewed January 19, 2013

Swimming alt t tou George and afterwards the Hot Springs at middleham were the beste experience ever

Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
5 attraction reviews
“Great Hike”
Reviewed January 6, 2013

For people who love to hike, this is a great trek to spectacular falls. You should however be in fairly good shape as it is 45 minutes in and 45 minutes out.

Visited December 2012