“in the bubbly”
Review of Champagne Diving

Pennsylvania
“in the bubbly”
Reviewed November 27, 2011

neat bubbles but not a lot of fish...at the end of the day so it was very relaxing..

Visited February 2011

Long Beach, California
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 29 helpful votes
“You wont see this anywhere else!”
Reviewed November 22, 2011

Being a youthful geological island.. this is probably one of the most unique spots you'll ever dive

Visited November 2011
New York City, New York
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“JT is Amazing!- COme join the Party!”
Reviewed August 2, 2011

Champagne is one of the best attractions on the island( if your coming from a cruise it should be this or canyoneering) .Our guide at Champagne Reef was amazing... his name was JT and there is no other guide quite like him. He took us around Champagne to see boat ruins, tons of fish, turtles, flounder, barracuda, and of course the Sea horses. He is extremely accommodating and we had an amazing time. If your staying on the island or coming in from a cruise... JT is your man to see

Visited April 2011
Atlanta, Georgia
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 31 helpful votes
“One of our favorite sites of the day...we just needed more time there!”
Reviewed June 4, 2011

We were in Dominica 4/17/11 on a Princess cruise and this was one of our ports of call. We had booked a private tour with Pepper and this was one of the places I had read up on and that most people said was not to be missed when visiting the island! BOY WERE THE REVIEWS RIGHT! This was our fifth stop of the day and because we had two more places to go to, did not have a lot of time here....BIG MISTAKE!!!

The entry fee was a minimal $2 per person and there was snorkel gear at the entrance for rent (we brought our own though). There's a long wooden pier to walk down to where the water meets the shoreline. I say shoreline and not beach as there was no beach....just rocks everywhere! Our guide showed us where there was a cement block sticking out of the cliff-side (where a large mat used to be tethered to for easier entry into the water) and we were able to place our stuff on this and not directly onto the ground so keep a lookout for it! :D The ONLY complaint about this place was the entry and exit out of the water. Not sure if the tide was super low, but even with water socks on, we were being tossed to and froe while standing, so sit down as soon as you can and scoot your way out. Coming back in I was smashed into a boulder and got a pretty nice sized lump on my chin. :/

Once in the water you'll want to head towards the left and around the rocks that jut into the water from the hillside. Stick your head down and enjoy something you'll NEVER see anywhere else! The volcanic vents under the water let gas escape from the ground and lines of bubbles go floating up to the top of the water's surface. You can hear the bubbles as you move through the water and you feel the effervescance of them hitting your skin as you swim through the streams of bubbles. The water was a little murky the day we went, but the amount of fish around the coral was good and there were tons of black sea urhcins so be sure not to put your feet down! It wasn't super deep, but then again, I was floating on top of the water and never tried to stand once I got my fins on. I'd guess the water where the vents are was 10-15 feet deep. IT IS TRULY AN AMAZING EXPERIENCE!

As mentioned in other reviews, there was a food stand at the entrance with picnic tables for seating where you could purchase sandwiches, chicken, and other entrees, as well as drinks. I think I saw it was about $8-$12 for a plate of food, not sure on drinks. I know they had beer and soft drinks for sale though.

We only had about 20 min to spend in the water and it was no where near enough time at this wonderful place! We're definitely going back on our next visit April of 2012! I've got under water footage of the "champagne" bubbles and once I figure out how to load it, I'll post them!

Visited April 2011
5 Thank jleigh31879
Rogers, Arkansas
21 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 44 helpful votes
“The bubbles did give it a champagne effect.”
Reviewed March 14, 2010

When we got to Champagne Reef we came upon JT who was a water guide to the reef. He was working for tips. He did help us see things that we would have missed. The visibility wasn't the best that day, but I still enjoyed it. The bubbles gave the champagne effect and that was really neat. JT knew where some sea horses were and took us to them. They were hard to see and if he hadn't shown us I would've never seen them. This was the first time that I have ever seen sea horses while snorkeling. Walking along the rocky beach we saw several iguana and crabs.

3 Thank weluv2laf