“Great Location for Nature and Outdoors Lovers”
Review of Cocoa Cottages

Cocoa Cottages
Ranked #1 of 21 Roseau B&B and Inns
Sydney, Australia
“Great Location for Nature and Outdoors Lovers”
Reviewed January 5, 2014

I had a great few nights at Cocoa Cottages in July 2013 in a colourful room overlooking the forest. Iris was an excellent host who gave us great ideas and even found a courier to deliver me my passport when I was on my way to the airport (thanks for saving my bacon). It was a great place to meet with fellow travellers. We were looked after every day with a hearty breakfast and given great advice on things to see and do in Dominica. The canyoning and Boiling Lake hike were most enjoyable - this is a convenient place for teeing up for these activities. I now wish I'd spent another night there. I thoroughly recommend this place if you want to be close to nature in Dominica.

Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Peter T

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Oviedo, Spain
Reviewed November 15, 2013

The decoration is the main point of this hotel. In addition the owners are really nice people, always available to chat and explain things.
However the price is a bit high and they include some taxes in the bill that they don't tell you in advance.
Nice place to stay

Room Tip: any of them is nice
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Rubo89
CocoaCottages, Owner at Cocoa Cottages, responded to this review, November 20, 2013
We have always included our prices on our website, and have tried to make everything as clear as possible. We also encourage everyone to please look at our website closely. Unfortunately, this booking was made from the ferry ship at the very last minute, over the phone, and was for 7 people arriving that day. We got everything ready for their arrival and were happy to receive them. We even gave them one extra room for well below our regular rate so that 7 men would not all have to share beds. It was unfortunate that not everyone had read the website before their arrival. Below is the emailed response we got from the person that posted this, after we'd written him to try to find out what exactly what was not clear to him.

"Dear Liz and Richard,

After your explanation I feel sorry about the opinion I had. the prices are clear and I believe that you guys want this business is just to survive and not to make huge profit.

My problem was to trust what other people say instead of searching information myself.

I would like to modify my comment on the TripAdvisor website and I will recommend your place to everybody who wants to visit Dominica.

Sorry again for the misunderstandings. I hope you forget this bad feelings about us and open your doors if we return to Dominica.

Thank you very much for the treatment."
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Reviewed November 5, 2013

My husband and I just spent 6 nights at Cocoa Cottages. It was the best vacation I have had in all my life. We stayed in the honeymoon cottage and it was very comfortable and beautiful. The outdoor bed swing was so relaxing after a day of canyoning or hiking. The breakfast and dinners we exceptional with all local cuisine. Breakfast cook Joan was a real pleasure to talk too and she made a great breakfast. We went canyoning with Richard and it was an exceptional adventure something that I didn't think I would be able to do but with Richards encouragement I prevailed. Richard and Liz made us feel like best friends. Liz was always available with suggestions on where to go and where to eat to get the Dominica experience. We loved Cocoa Cottages and hope to go back in the future!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Sweeti01
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 2, 2013

Beautiful location, welcoming owners, communal vibe. I was travelling on my own, and Liz and Richard made me feel like family. They provided great tips on where to explore, and even invited me along to their trip to the creole music festival. Breakfast was delicious, the canyoning thrilling, the conversation stimulating. Not to be advised for people who want to block out the world around them, but for travellers who like to feel alive, it's paradise. Loved it!

• Stayed October 2013
1 Thank VictorJude
Fort Morgan, Alabama
Reviewed October 24, 2013

I wasn't going to write a review because anything worth mentioning already was by my wife, but when the managements response ended with "Hope that your menopause is over soon" I felt the need to review.
The Tree House was really nice but it needs a fan for the second bed in the loft. the temperature is cooled by morning but still warm at night.
If you look over the railing in the Tree House you can see and hear the stream flowing down the canyon, if you look straight down you could see the foam from their washing machine flowing in the stream. Not very Green.
The second half of the week we stayed in the Honeymoon Sweet. It was nice but keep all the shutters closed, it's the cats room.
The breakfast and dinner area is very nice but No Fans.
The breakfast were expensive and repetitive. You don't have to import anything to have variety.
We had Jeffery as a guide to the Boiling Lake. He was awesome
THE MANAGEMENT: I think the title of my review says it all about them.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank gogokayakguy
alabama
Reviewed October 21, 2013

Customer service is all about perception. It all felt very insincere and faked.
1 - Arrived Saturday owners absent. when they did show up we were told "Let us know if you need anything". We asked for a fan and left it that. Our "room" in the tree house was essentially an attic loft and had little air movement.. We were told they would get one Monday. When we asked on Monday we were told they didn't get one and that no one else ever "complained" . "Complained" that was the exact word used. They acted like it was an unreasonable request to ask for a fan in the tropics. They did offer to help us bring down the mattress so we could sleep in the main room. As planned, we stayed in the attic loft room one more night then moved to another room.

This set the tone for the rest of the week. We did not ask for anything for the rest of our stay. One simple act of providing us with a fan, or at least acting like they were trying to get one would have change my perception.

2 - At least once a day I would hear "Honey, did we fly over that in our plane." I get it, you own a plane and fly all over the world. You're rich, you're cool, we're not.
3 - There was no safe in the room so the owner held my cash. Awkward and inconvenient. I later found out from my friend that when we checked out the owner told my friend that I had five hundred US$ maybe she could borrow some from me. They forgot to put something on the bill and my friend wanted to use her credit card and save her cash. To disclose confidential information like that is wrong. When I gave them the money to hold I had no doubt about it's security but did not think of the CONFIDENTIALITY and was amazed when it was BREACHED.
4 - We were given clean towels every other day. I did not want to ask for anything and just took what we were given.
5 - I stayed back one day because my tour was cancelled. Every time I would dose off for a nap a truck would blast it's horn and wake me up since the place is close to the road(25-100 feet). They are building a geothermal project close by and preparing the roads for the heavy traffic/equipment. This may be the bigger issue this place will have to deal with.
The facilities are beautiful, clean and well decorated. Beds are clean and comfortable with nice linens. Staff is nice but stand offish. The exception being Miss. Joan the breakfast cook. She is fun outgoing and seems sincere. Breakfast could use a little variety. Fruit, eggs, bread, jams every day, but very good.

The canyon tour was fantastic, really fantastic. This is what they do well, very well.

We stayed while Richard and Liz were managing Cocoa Cottages.
We stayed at Papilote last year. They were closed at the time we visited this year. I enjoyed Papilote immensely more and always felt welcome, better food, better facilities and not as expensive.

Room Tip: Tree house extra "room" is attic loft w/ no fan.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank copper9128
Kfar Blum, Israel
Reviewed October 13, 2013

Thanks to Iris the owner of Cocoa Cottages we had the most amazing week in Dominica.
The great breakfast with real local home made hot choclate, great tours of the island that she orginized for us with a local guide, unforgatable images of rain forest caribean sea and local people from carrib indians... great fresh yammi dinners at the B&B with great hospitality of the owners. The most memorable journey for us! thanks to Cocoa Cottages

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Roseau
Fort Young Hotel
Anchorage Hotel & Dive Center
St. James Guesthouse
St. James Guesthouse
#3 of 21 in Roseau

Been to Cocoa Cottages? Share your experiences!