“Perfect Home Base”
Review of Cocoa Cottages

Cocoa Cottages
Ranked #1 of 21 Roseau B&B and Inns
Reviewed June 7, 2013

Iris and staff were wonderful hosts. Great accommodations, food and service! The cottages were clean, beautiful and comfortable. The swinging bed and hammocks on the deck were the perfect way to relax from a wonderful day of hiking. The onsite chefs are as sweet as can be and extremely talented. Breakfast and dinner at their large round table was a great way to talk and hear about the day's adventures. Iris is happy to arrange amazing canyoning trips, guides and provide advice. Thank you for a wonderful stay!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
6  Thank BlueRiverBistro

Reviewed May 14, 2013

I have been to Dominica several times and stayed various places but I always return to Cocoa Cottages and recommend it to my friends. It is as comfortable as home with better food. I love the eclectic recycled architecture, the local art, the fabulous fresh fruits and vegetables creatively cooked by Iris, the co-owner.

I travel solo, so it is nice to speak with the other guests around the communal table.The local people are friendly and fun to talk to also. And of course the hiking, waterfalls and hot springs are never ending. The island is a big natural health spa. The locals seem to know a lot about the local herbs and "bush teas'. I always leave feeling rejuvenated and healthier.

Room Tip: Of the three rooms I have stayed in I think I like the "Master" the best, but I'd be h...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank Jo S
Reviewed April 22, 2013

We stayed here for 10 days in February - booked through our tour guide: Cheesemans' Ecology Safaris. It's about a 15 minute drive from downtown Roseau and every room has a different look and feel. We stayed in the Master Room that was over the dining area and the communal sitting room; this was not problematic most of the time, but there were a couple of nights where there were gatherings in the communal sitting room where the noise level was high and unbuffered. The noise, however, was during reasonable hours and never when it was time for us to sleep.

We had a comfortable, king size bed and plenty of living space. The bathroom was a super cute design, unlike anything I'd seen before. The closure for the bathroom is not a wall, rather bamboo doors. So if you're accustomed to drywall for your business on the toilet, this is not the room for you. Small bars of soap are supplied - bring your own shampoo, conditioner, shower gel and lotion. There is no TV, radio or phone in the room; there is wireless internet available. There is a closet in the room, but it's not well lit. No dresser, but there's plenty of space in the room to dig around and live out of your suitcase.

Part of the unique atmosphere was that you're in a rain forest and you don't necessarily need to worry about neighbors seeing into your room. As such, there were windows in our room that did not have any privacy covering on them (curtain or otherwise) - however, they are strategically placed such that no one from the outside could see you. It is something that you should be aware of though if you need all windows blocking access to see outside. Also, it is not cut off completely from the sounds of the rainforest, which I found quite charming. I usually sleep with some sort of white noise maker and this time I was able to use the real thing - nature itself! I loved that part.

We ate breakfast and dinner every day and it was all amazing, local, fresh food. We spent one night out to eat (on a Sunday, I do NOT recommend this as barely anything is open) and we told them a day in advance to not prepare dinner for us and they were fine with that. Iris was very on top of any of our needs and wanted us to know that if we needed anything at all, to let her know. Hospitality is a definite plus of this place.

Interestingly enough, we were there when a circuit breaker blew and all electricity was cut from the property. There's an emergency light in the kitchen area that activated and the owners quickly got things under control and the power company was out and electricity was back within about an hour of losing it. It was all quite surreal and yet very efficient, I never once felt unsafe in the situation. I do recommend bringing a headlamp just in case, but this can be used in all aspects of your travel and should be something you carry on every trip - and in this case can be used in the closet or freak power outage.

I would stay here again in a hearbeat. The only disadvantage I see is that it's not a walkable location to any tourist site of significance.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
4  Thank GreenStarfish
Reviewed April 4, 2013

The complex
The rooms and the complex are authenic, clean and romantic. As the complex is situated up the hill you will have a nice temperature at night (there is no aircon but you don't need one) The food is organic and delicious and the hosts very friendly. I liked the round the table discussions with the other guests during breakfast and dinner. Especially for someone who was traveling alone Cocoa is a good option. When you like nature, serenity and interesting people this is the place to be on Dominica. When you like resorts or luxury hotels this is not your concept.

Canyoning, boiling lake, trafalgar waterfalls
I did the boiling lake tour and the canyoning tour with Extreme Dominica (from the same owners of Cocoa). Both were fantastic and a must if you stay on the Island. The canyoning will take 1,5 hour and is not too difficult. I prefered to do the boiling lake tour with a guide as I was alone on the island but when you are an experienced walker you can do it without a guide (but you will miss the explanation of the guide). The walk last 6 hours in total and you meet a few steep hills/mountains. You need good shoes, a rucksac with water, food, sun protection, towel and a small jacket (can be chilly at the top). Do not forget to take a swim in the Titou Gorge at the end of the track. You will have wonderful views and it is a nice cool down for your muscles.

The trafalgar waterfalls are a 45 minute walk from Cocoa.

Car yes or no?
Cocoa cottages are a bit remote so a car is very handy but I also managed without one (you can hitchhike and there are several small busses who are driving to Roseau and back for a few dollars). You can take a taxi cab from the airport to Roseau. This drive take 1,5 hour and cost $ 70,-. Looking back on my stay in Dominica I would probably hire a car from the airport the next time. The roads are alright and not so bad as some people say on the internet (they improved many roads)

Ferry
I had to go from Dominica to Martinique and used the ferry (Express de Iles) to Fort de France. I would probably not take the ferry any more the next time. The boat is quite small and once you reached the ocean the sea can be quite rough. I am quite lucky to have a steady stomach but when you don't you will definately feel sick for at least 1 hour. It is probably better to return to the airport and take the airplane to Guadeloupe and from there a plane to Martinique.

Room Tip: All rooms have their charm. I stayed in the honeymoon suite, which was very nice.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
4  Thank Aquarius74
Reviewed March 21, 2013

Cocoa Cottages. Beautiful, clean, comfortable lodging in a location near to the major sites in Roseau Valley. Iris is a wonderful host that puts in the extra effort and attention to make both your stay and your entire experience of Dominica that much better.
Great stuff. Come and see for yourself. You will not regret it!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank FishLife17
Reviewed March 2, 2013

Cocoa Cottages are not far from Roseau. I stayed there with a group that was out on the ocean
most days so coming back to the rainforest was a welcome contrast. The rooms are decorated with artistic touches, beds comfortable, swings to relax in, a river to walk down and see. The food is really fantastic. Served family style and you eat around big round tables that used
to be reels for telephone cables. Lots of choices of sides for vegetarians. Iris knows her cooking.
Very nourishing. Very fresh. Always varied. Always delicious.. Never fattening. There is
just a great vibe here. A very welcoming atmosphere. Iris puts her heart into things and it shows.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank martha s
Reviewed February 25, 2013

We stayed at Cocoa Cottages for our 19 year anniversary. We did a lot of research and decided we would give it a go as it was close to Roseau and the sites we wanted to hit. We wanted to break up our stay to the southern part of the island the beginning half of the week and then work our way up north, so we booked for three nights there.
Upon arrival, they showed us to our room, which is very nice and cozy, then we gathered around a big table for a meal. Iris and the girls are wonderful cooks. We all sat around the table and discussed what our first full day would entail. Iris was very helpful in that area as well. She even made us a wonderful lunch to take on our journey to Boiling Lake. She gently suggested to take it easy and, FYI, I would advise that if you are going to make the trek to Boiling Lake that you do so at the end of your trip as it is a grueling hike and we were sore for the next four days...and we are very active people.
Iris took us around the place, showed us how they sustain on what they grow and catch. She has a wonderful supply of cocoa beans (which we stocked up on) and makes the most amazing chocolates.
We really grew to love the place and hated to leave. In fact, we decided to stay an extra night. It was a very homey and comfortable, clean, accommodating place. They are always available with questions, very friendly and helpful. If you are going that far away from home, it is a very welcome feel. If we go back, we will definitely stay there again and would highly, highly recommend a stay there. Give it a try, you will not be disappointed.
Iris, we miss you! Peace, love, and Dominica!
Walt and Mandy Pearson