Can't say enough about this place. Truly a piece of heaven on earth. We came back from Dominica in about 2 weeks and we spend wonderful time in Cocoa Cottages.
The location is great, close to a lot of attraction to explore - Middleham Falls, Freshwater Lake, Boeri Lake, and Trafalgar Falls,Boiling Lake, Scots Head, Victoria Falls,Hot Springs...etc.
After the first day we feel the place like being at home and accepted very well and warm from Richard and Iris. They do everything to make sure you feel comfortable.
Cocoa cottages is located in the rainforest which make this place paradise.We ate almost every night at wooden outdoor tables by the kitchen with the other guest. It looked like one big family. Iris and Richard are great cooks. We had always fresh fruits and juice, the famous Cocoa tea for breakfast and fresh fish, local rum and beer ( Kabuli made with spring water) for dinner . All products were local . My girlfriend and I enjoyed every single bite.
We stayed 6 nights and our room was clean, beautifully arranged with a lot of pictures of local artist , every day made service .We went to bed every night listening to the sounds of the island creatures in the forest, and woke up with the chirping of birds. Most of the time we kept the windows open because I liked the breeze so much ( don't worry for the mosquito).We have patio looking out on a rainforest and swinging bed for relaxing and enjoying the amazing view. By the way our room was Lalin Myel (Honeymoon Suite).
Richard, Iris, Charm and Jeffrey - the best hosts ever- friendly,hospitable. We had so much fun with them. They would help you with everything. Don't hesitate to ask them. We had very good conversations over the table for breakfast or dinner.
If you want to know about the flora and fauna for Dominica - ask Jeffrey he knows every single plant or animal in the island ( he is the best guyed in Dominica. No poisonous creatures).
We didn't go with Richard and Jeffrey on Canyoning tour and definitely we regret but I thing everyone has to try it. With Jeffrey we went to the famous Boiling Lake ( the only one in the world actually does boil. In New Zealand the lake is bigger but doesn't boil ). That was an amazing and enjoyable trip to see the beauty of Dominica. ( Don't be afraid to go there is hard but with the right guyed like Jeffrey it won't be hard. I wasn't prepared for such a hike but I did it).
I suggest to renting car because we didn't have car for the first 2 days and we wasted a lot of time but we had very good time with the public buses. ( Iris will help you with pleasure).
We did snorkeling in the Champagne bay ( It was my first time. I felt in the water paradise). We also went to Trafalgar falls but I like the most Victoria falls. Scot Heads is very beautiful place and has amazing view (you can snorkel too).For sure you have to try Sulfur Hot spring tubs. We spend some time in Roseau and ate in some local restaurants, shopping of course and even talk with the locals.
The people in the Island are the most peaceful, friendly and helpful people in the world ( almost no crime).
Dominican says if Columbus comes now to the island he would recognize it as 550 years ago. If you love the nature, hiking and exploring, and being around friendly people, this is a perfect place to visit. Go before it is fully touched by human hand and maid for lazy tourist.
Cocoa Cottages is hidden Gem in the Jungle of Dominica.It was precious to be in this special place. I highly recommended this place for those who know about the real life and love the nature.
You gonna have unforgettable trip like us.
Pack and go
Thanks a lot Iris and Richard.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Welcome to Cocoa Cottage--Dominica Mind Body Adventure. Cocoa Cottage is an artistic guest house located in the heart of the Roseau Valley, only a few miles from town but worlds apart. This valley is home to many waterfalls, sulfur pools, rivers, and various trails, all within minutes' drive of the cottage. Cocoa Cottage is imaginative, earthy, rustic and whimsical, a fine gentle touch with rough edges. It is a perfect union of all that nature offers. Our kitchen provides food for the soul, using the plentiful offerings of our island. At any time you'll find yourself deep in lively conversation with someone you just met, connecting, sharing, inspiring and being inspired. We adopt eco- friendly daily practices as a way of connecting with ourselves, with one another, and with the world around us. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotwire and Hotel.de so you can book your Cocoa Cottages reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Cocoa Cottages Hotel Roseau
- Cocoa Cottages Dominica/Roseau