“40 hour Drive-by Dominica”
Review of Fort Young Hotel

Fort Young Hotel
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Roseau
Waquoit
“40 hour Drive-by Dominica”
Reviewed March 6, 2013

We were planning on a 10 day stay in Dominica. It all started out very well. We loved the hotel - it was so interesting with the original stone work - gun ports and all! Easy to get lost until you figure it out but well worth the exploration.
Our room was comfortable, clean, just the right size and the view was beautiful.
We had a lovely breakfast, an adventure booked by Sonya and a little walk about Roseau.
We were there not even 24 hours when we got a call that our house was on fire back home in Massachusetts.
The hotel staff was WONDERFUL. So understanding, compassionate and helpful at a time when we were beyond overwhelmed and feeling powerless about our situation.
A special shout out to Sonya, the front desk staff, the lovely mangers and Lincoln.
It is worth the trip to beautiful Dominica just to stay at this hotel - you could spend the entire visit enjoying the amenities.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Louise P

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (213)
Christiansted, St. Croix
Reviewed March 2, 2013

We stayed at Fort Young on one of our last nights in Dominica. The customer service was polite & friendly and our room was clean. For the price the room was suitable.

I ordered room service for dinner and had a wonderful meal but my breakfast the next day was horrible! My wife & I had the breakfast buffet and I would have to say this was some of the worst food I have EVER eaten! Not only was it bad but it was over price for being so bad. I tried everything in hopes of finding something that I found eatable, it was all bad. I have never asked for my money back at a restaurant before but I had to this time, management did refund my money. I know that the dinner restaurant & breakfast restaurant were two different parts of the hotel and maybe they are sub-lease but it amazed me that I could have such a wonderful dinner & awful breakfast at the same hotel.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Erik H
Port of Spain, Trinidad
Reviewed February 27, 2013

This was my second time staying at Fort Young on business. The room was great as I was in a Fort-side room again, I love the ambiance of the bedroom and the patio overlooking the water. However, as was the situation last time, the lighting in both the bedroom and bathroom is sorely in need of an overhaul. Likewise the bathroom could use renovation as well. Apart from that everything else was great as usual, with friendly staff, decent food, and a comfortable bed at the end of a long day of work!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Matthew J
San Antonio, TX
Reviewed February 25, 2013

I purchased a day pass (about $20 US) to use the posh amenities in the Fort Young Hotel during a recent trip to Dominica. You can purchase this from the reception desk and not only does it include access to the infinity pool overlooking the ocean, a "tropical bar" area, it also includes a free alcoholic drink and a discount on food orders. I'm pretty sure that the resort offers wifi. It's a great place to spend an afternoon and relax in Dominica!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank lisaj816
Somerset, UK
Reviewed February 14, 2013

The TA reviews were luke warm so we weren't expecting too much from this hotel but found it excellent in almost every way.

We had a great room (111), beautifully clean, nicely but modestly furnished with a large balcony and fantastic views across the bay. There is a really lovely restaurant, again with great sea views, serving good but not great food (go for the view!). The staff were really lovely - friendly and helpful. We liked the bar too which is often lively. Pool is also good.

Renting a car is essential for seeing this lovely island and there is a small car park beside the hotel. The charming little town of Roseau is easily explored on foot from the hotel and again the people are friendly and seem pleased to see you, although the atmosphere is slightly ruined when the cruise ship hordes are in town.

I highly recommend the Fort Young Hotel.

Room Tip: 111 and those around and above (211, 311 etc) are all good.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Spineynorman
Halifax, Canada
Reviewed February 9, 2013

My husband and I stayed at this hotel while on a four week island hopping tour in the Caribbean. We had stayed for two weeks before twelve years ago. We booked a basic room, and of course, it was very small, although had all the amenities. We had a balcony that had no view, but we weren't in Dominica to enjoy the island from our room. We were surprised the Fort rooms had not really been updated since twelve years ago, but the price was certainly reasonable, so no complaints here. One noticeable improvement was the new pool (used to be in the middle of the hotel by the bar) with waterfalls and view- well done, Fort Young! Beautiful addition!

On another note, this hotel is perfect for touring the capital (Roseau), walking to restaurants locally (we recommend Old Stone- twice we ate here, as well as ZamZam and CartWheel for breakfasts. Fort Young offers exceptional dive packages, and my husband dove every day with Dive Dominica. He felt this outfitter, right in the Fort Young hotel was both convenient and top notch. Overall, we had a sensational stay, and would return to this island and hotel. Thanks Fort Young for making our stay comfortable and enjoyable.

Room Tip: We were in the 502 Fort room- very noisy with traffic all night, but certainly not the fault of the...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Denise B
Cherokee, Iowa
Reviewed February 4, 2013

We spent one night only in this historic location. But our one night, in the very last room available, was wonderful. The staff, food, and services were better than expected. I could've used a map to get around the sprawling locale, but situated right on the sea, close to the flea markets, etc. was just perfect for our one-night in Roseau.

Room Tip: Be certain to request a room away from the dining area, as well as away from the dining areas.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Roseau
Secret Bay
Secret Bay
#1 of 4 in Portsmouth
Pagua Bay House Oceanfront Cabanas
The Champs, Hotel, Restaurant & Bar
Castle Comfort Dive Lodge
Anchorage Hotel & Dive Center
The Tamarind Tree Hotel & Restaurant

Been to Fort Young Hotel? Share your experiences!