“Best Dive Boat Ever”

Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Roseau
Port of Spain, Trinidad
“Best Dive Boat Ever”
Reviewed June 5, 2011

Stayed with the folks at Anchorage along with our school SCUBA club 25 people total. We had a great time. Staff went out of there way to accomadate our large group. Loved working with the entire dive staff. Seamore and Andrew were fantastic loved talking to them. Their boat Passion was the best dive boat I have ever been on. Andrew's reputation as the whale whisperer is still intact.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank gpick

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
antigua
Reviewed May 7, 2011

I went for a short weekend break from Antigua to Dominica and was pleasantly surprised by the welcome and hospitality in Anchorage hotel. Due to an airport closure in Antigua my flight was delayed, so I called the hotel to advise that I will arrive around midnight.The welcome at the hotel was great-I was really tired and was taken to my room in minutes.
The room is basic and next time I will definitely upgrade to the bigger rooms but it served my purpose.The next morning I went for breakfast and there was a la carte and buffet style breakfast available- it was fine-the only negative comment I have to make was that it would have been nice to get coffee prior to the actual restaurant opening time of 7.15am- I was ready to go at 6.00am and no coffee was available.The staff in the restaurant was very pleasant- so was the reception staff- helpful at all times.I signed up for whale watching and was not able to do it on the day I had anticipated but again the staff at the hotel went out of their way to make it possible the very next day prior to my departuretime.It is a trip you should not miss- we saw a whale , dolphins and turtles.
The hotel is located in walking distance of Roseau and has a local bus stop in front of the hotel. I would recommend to rent a car if you decide to explore the Island , as taxiprices are high.There is a Mexican restaurant close by and I had dinner there - it was good.The hotel offered only buffet dinner that night and I was not impressed by the food there- I had the lunch buffet the same day and I found that the price/ value was not good.
In summary -Dominica is a beautiful Island and I will surely go back many more times- the people are so nice and the area where Anchorage is located is ideal for all ventures out- the staff is A1- I will be back thanks everyone at Anchorage

• Stayed March 2011, traveled solo
3 Thank Katja G
Erie, Pennsylvania
Reviewed April 27, 2011

We moved here after our reserved cottage had no water and the staff was wonderful - had to check in at 12 am and we were never rushed when we checked out late 4 days later.. The room was terrific - had a small refrigerator which was a great help and a lovely balconey with a view of the ocean. While there was no beach to walk, if you are here to dive or whale watch this is the ONLY place I would stay.The pool was also a plus as well as the views. Also, the dinners were fantastic and reasonable. This island is very very rustic and it can take hours to go to many of the sites. This hotel is located just outside of town so it was quiet and not far from Roseau, grocery stores, and gas stations.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank cindy126
Hamilton, Bermuda
Reviewed March 17, 2011

My husband and I stayed here for just over a week on a half board basis which included breakfast and lunch. We are experienced travellers having lived and worked all over the world including other Caribbean islands. The service at the hotel restaurant was among the worst I've ever encountered - not only would the food take ages to appear (an hour and a half at one point despite being the first people in the practically empty restaurant) but when it did all our meals were lacking a vital ingredient - the shrimps in a shrimp salad, the bacon in a bacon and french toast breakfast. When we pointed out the missing ingredients to waiting staff their response was just to shrug, never at any point did they apologise or make any effort to rectify the situation. To make matters worse we received packed lunches during some whale watching days and I had the pleasure of finding a cockroach in my chicken roti. If you stay here I would strongly recommend avoiding the hotel restaurant. Much better food and service can be found at the Evergreen Hotel about 20 yards up the road and there are plenty of other good restaurants in the local area.

The hotel staff were pleasant and the bar staff make good cocktails, including Bloody Mary's made with freshly juiced tomatoes. The wifi is free but very slow and inconsistent. It also didn't work at all in our room. The rooms were basic but clean enough and had a pleasant balcony overlooking the sea. We choose the hotel because it had a house reef and incorporated a SCUBA centre where you can rent weights and tanks.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank ScubaDoc2011

Travelers are raving about these Roseau hotels

san francisco
Reviewed January 2, 2011

It's all relative -- it's not a Hyatt or Hilton. However, it's a good basic hotel that's above a YMCA (for example). Good size room, TV, free wi-fi. I thought the service was fine. One day they didn't come to make the room until 6:30pm and were apologetic about it when we called the front desk. All other days they came to make the room in the morning. I liked the food -- basic English cuisine with island spices added. I especically liked the cocoa tea (local cocoa) and sorrel juice. I'd recommend it if you don't want to pay big $$$ and still want a safe, clean place to stay in Dominica.

Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
Penrith, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 21, 2010

Rooms kept clean but failed to do room refresh on one day. All rather tired and needing some redocration and maintenance.
Staff friendly but lacking any initiative. Food very mediocre. Could not provide fruit for breakfast on two out five days.
Does have free WiFi.
Problem is availabililty of decent hotels in the area.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
East Timor
Reviewed November 19, 2010

Other than the view, nothing was impressive. Sleep disturbed by mosquitoes. It was not only pointless but rather frustrating that our room was equipped with coffee machine and mosquito mat, both of which had wrong shape of plug and therefore not usable. There is a nice French Restaurant 'Sea Lounge' on the same road nearby, open from Thu to Sun.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Roseau
Fort Young Hotel
Evergreen Hotel
#5 of 7 in Roseau
Pagua Bay House Oceanfront Cabanas
The Tamarind Tree Hotel & Restaurant

Been to Anchorage Hotel & Dive Center? Share your experiences!