“No Nonsense”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Roseau
Ma Bass Guest House
Ranked #10 of 21 Roseau B&B and Inns
Reviewed November 18, 2013

spent two nights here last month. greeted by ma bass & her son. ma bass organised a tour with guide Hagan to the boiling lake. this was spectacular and I would definitely recommend it. Hagan is a top man and very knowledgeable. its a tough undertaking, a 6 hour round hike.

everything was so easy & relaxed, ma bass served a great breakfast and guests have access to the kitchen too which was great. she gave great recommendations on where to eat etc. I would stay here if I ever return to Dominica! great location & great city. staying with ma bass gave me a small insight into life on paradise that you'd rarely get staying at a hotel..

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Smull00

Reviewed November 5, 2013

I stayed with my family at Ma Bass this August which is located in Capital Roseau. Really comfortable stay and Mrs Ma Bass took care of us like a family member. Its nice and clean and she will also arrange your all local excursions. Check this guy "Ernerke Charles" really amazing person for island tour. Breakfast was really nice every morning. Value for money.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Dr Saurabh Yada... Y
Reviewed June 20, 2013

A sweet, elderly couple served as our hosts at this very centrally-located guesthouse in the capital city. Their grandson checked us in (we had reservations), and Mr. Bass greeted us almost every night upon our return from local adventures. Mr. Bass built the house himself, many years ago, and they still live on-site. Prices are very reasonable, and vary based on which room(s) you rent.

The rooms are small and simple, but that's all we needed. A/C was included in our room (as in most, if not all, rooms), as well as a fantastic balcony view from the 2nd, 3rd and 4th floors of the building. The street was pretty quiet, and in mid-May we were the only guests (out of 10 guest rooms) most nights. Full access to a kitchen was provided, and we made use of the dishes and eating area (the refrigerator wasn't a reliable food storage space, though).

Complimentary WiFi is available throughout, and they'll save an on-street parking spot right in front of the guesthouse for you.

Room Tip: The stairwell to the very top floor is narrow and steep, but there are plenty of rooms on lower leve...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank JenTintheD
Reviewed May 11, 2013

Great deal simple, no frills, clean, unassuming place in the center of the city, access to all areas even Portsmouth, Ma Bass was great with suggestions on where to visit and how to get there. The room was nice space, safe access to kitchen.

Side note people go to Dominica because of its rawness, pay for cheap hotel room then expect the NYC grand Hyatt

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed May 1, 2013

Ma Bass is a comfortable clean guest house run by a very sweet old lady. The rooms are quaint and basic and we felt very safe and secure. Sure the showers aren't the hottest that I have had but in this climate it hardly matters. Ma went out of her way to make breakfast at the time that suited us each day and there was plenty of interesting local fruits and foods for us to sample.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank ridgididge
Reviewed March 27, 2013

Unfortunately we can't give a proper review as Ma Bass was not there when we arrived on Sunday evening from the ferry, despite having made a reservation in person, the week before. She was friendly enough then and wrote it all down in the book. The rooms looked OKish but basic. Arriving on a Sunday night in dark deserted Rousseaux when the guesthouse was all locked up, the telephone was not answered and there was no note left, was not a nice experience. Everything was closed. We waited for hours while we ate something and leaving the luggage with the friendly neighbours, but at 9 there was still no one there. We found the Zymes See hotel around the corner, friendly owner, but the room was extremely basic.
I think Ma Bass means well but maybe she is getting a little old for this, other people told us this too. We left a note for her but never heard back. So I would not immediately recommend this place, there are other options in town but if you arrive on a Sunday, definitely book ahead.

Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank peertje
Reviewed March 17, 2013

I was extremely dissapointed with the state of my room in the attic. I rarely had a hot shower, my toilet did not flush properly for the duration of my stay, the wardrobe door was broken, the sink was crooked and the water trickled out of the shower and tap.When I complained about all of these issues, I was told someone would fix these issues, Only the toilet was fixed.
My room wasn't thoroughly clean for my stay. I can't recall seeing the cleaner mop or sweeping the floor and my sheets were rarely changed- I had to request for clean sheets.
The kitchen is in dire need of renovating as you can only use the hobbs not the oven. It took 30 mins to make a cup of tea as you have to use the kettle on the hob.
For the money I paid to stay here, I should have spent a few dollars more to stay at a reputable hotel. It did tarnish my holiday but Dominica is alovely place and I will visit again- I just wouldn't stay here.

Room Tip: This guesthouse is not designed for a lengthy stay I wouldn't stay no more than one night!
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
5  Thank Honest Hotel I
Also consider these accommodations in or near Roseau
Fort Young Hotel
Anchorage Hotel & Dive Center
Evergreen Hotel
Evergreen Hotel
#5 of 7 in Roseau

Been to Ma Bass Guest House? Share your experiences!