“What a letdown...”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of Antours Dominica

Antours Dominica
More attraction details
Owner description: With over 25 years in the business, we are pleased to offer you experienced Tour Operator services offering unique Sightseeing and Adventure tours and Stay-over vacation packages on Dominica.
Kitchener
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“What a letdown...”
Reviewed March 3, 2013

We were really excited to go on a tubing adventure with Antours during a cruise stop in Dominica. We had booked weeks in advance, and had confirmed the time to meet our tour rep on shore. We arrived on time, but were told we had to wait a few minutes for another couple to join. We waited. Then we were told we had to wait about half and hour for the elusive "other couple." So we walked around and came back. Nothing.
Then we were told that we would be transported to the excursion with a larger busload of people from the cruise ship (which is exactly what we were hoping to avoid by booking independently in advance). More waiting.
Finally, we were informed that our tour had been cancelled due to low enrolment, and that an email had been sent the previous night informing us that our payment had been refunded. We hadn't checked our email the previous night (it's not cheap on a cruise ship), so we never heard about the cancellation.
When we later checked the email, it said our tour had been cancelled because the guides were "stricken with the flu."
So we were given several different excuses: waiting on another couple, low enrolment, guides stricken with the flu. Clearly we were not being given the whole truth, and wasted nearly 90 minutes standing around waiting to go on a tour that ultimately never happened.
To his credit, the tour rep at the cruise port, Anthony, was very apologetic and helped arrange a reasonably priced taxi tour of the island to "make up for" our trouble. It was quite nice, and our taxi driver was lovely and informative. But we wasted so much time waiting for our non-existent tubing tour that we felt rushed on the tour.
It's forgivable that the tour had to be cancelled, but very unprofessional that we were given several different reasons for the long delays, and had to wait 90 minutes before finding out that our tour had been cancelled the previous day.
Our money was refunded, but we were very disappointed by the conflicting stories and the wasted time.

3 Thank CFBH

Raleigh, North Carolina
29 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 31 helpful votes
“Lots of Fun Tubing!!”
Reviewed February 24, 2013

My family and I had a great time tubing down the river with Antours. I booked this trip on my own through their website and paid via paypal. We arrived in Dominica on the Celebrity Summit. There was a bit of a mixup as to where we were to meet, but asked around and were pointed in the right direction. The taxi driver picked us up and we proceeded with no further delay. The rainforest is beautiful, the water was chilly, the sun was warm and the river guides were very helpful. We all had a blast.

1 Thank HF99
Consett, United Kingdom
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Excellent experience for all the family”
Reviewed February 23, 2013 via mobile

Excellent experience for all ages. We thoroughly enjoyed our river tubing trip through the rain forest. We took 4kids and we all giggled all the way down the river. A big thanks to guides who looked after us. Definitely recommend this trip.

Vancouver
30 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 173 helpful votes
“good time, but much better the last two times”
Reviewed February 20, 2013

Oh I should say we are at the industrial pier about 2 km from town so this doesn’t add to our mood very well. We are trying to find the sign for Antours. we love Antours, this is our third tour with them, all of them River Tubing with one year doing the tubing and the Emerald Falls. Today we are just doing the tubing again. We finally meet up with the host who has our names and checks all our names off and says that there are four others that are already here but there are a few others still. So we are lead to a shaded area that has a fence around it where we all giggle commenting that we feel like sheep that are corralled in their pen.

Finally after about 15 minutes we are directed to two vans where our group of about 22 is divided and we get in and again all our moods are being put to the test as the fan is stifling hot and humid and we are sitting, and sitting and sitting. Finally some AC starts and we are still waiting but at least the AC is helping. The driver of the van in front keeps coming back and checking names. We once again go thru the roll call and he is looking for Bridgitte! This becomes the running joke as no one knows who Brigitte is and after an hour of waiting around, sitting, corralling, and checking names we are off.

Our driver does outline some of the sights but we are not interested we have been here before, I am tired and we are all still cranky. We hope the day will improve, or at least our moods will.

Part way to the falls we are told we have a delay because of a scheduling error and we are told that they will take us to the black sand beach to hang out at for a bit until they can get us onto the river. We are fine with this, but really we don’t have a choice.

But as soon as we arrive we see this little girl of about four who welcomes us and says hi and how are you and well heck what do I have to complain about really…. And look at this beach! Look at the water! And guess what I didn’t have to work today so I soon change my tune. And it looks like others are feeling better too as moods have adjusted after this short stop at the beach.

We are driven the short distance to the river and the drop off spot. Antour is there and he remembers me and he apologizes so much about the error today. We feel rushed though as another group from another organization arrives and they want to get into the water too. We are fitted with life jackets and helmets and we are in the water. The water is high today and this should help with the flow down the river better and hopefully I won’t get stuck too much.

Some of the people in the other van in our group are still cranky, especially these two women who constantly complain as they go down the river but I try to block out their complaints and focus on the positive.

My butt can still fit in the river tube! The river is running fast! I can still fit in the life jacket! The trees that surround the river are lush and work like a beautiful canopy for my transport! The guides are fast and very helpful and getting us out of areas when we get stuck! And I can physically still do these exciting excursions!

We are met at the end (which took about 40 minutes) by Antour who soon has us drinking beer, water or Kennedy rum punch…. All is right in the world and we are all laughing in our bus on the ride back.

1 Thank Vickie_Bernie
Boston, MA
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 40 helpful votes
“River tubing through the rain forest”
Reviewed January 15, 2013

We did the river tubing excursion in January 2013 through Antours. We emailed them from the ship a day before and they wrote back promptly and made sure that we were all set when we arrived in Dominica. On arrival we were treated with great respect and hooked up with our driver, "Father." Father was very friendly and knowledgeable about the island. He must have honked at 20 people along the way who all knew him....he told us that he knows 1/2 the people on the island, and the other half knows who he is.

It's about a 1/2 hour drive to the river. I'll admit that the lower part of the river (the part below where you eventually exit) is not very scenic. Father told us that Dominica exports fresh-water sand to other islands who use it in concrete to make buildings. You drive past huge piles of sand on your way up to the starting point. At the top you start out at a small bar where they get everyone together before heading to the river. (We hadn't come dressed in our swimsuits, so they let us change in someone's bedroom...it would have been better to come wearing our suits.)

At the river everyone is fitted with helmets and smelly life-jackets. I've seen people mention to bring water shoes. The only time that they would be nice (but definitely not essential) is walking through the rocky-bottomed river to get to the spot where you begin tubing.

You glide down the river for about 1/2 hour or a bit more. There are lots of decent rapids for most of the ride. It's not just calm water. It's really great fun. We took our 8 and 10 year old kids who loved it, as did all the adults. Antours has a bunch of strong, athletic guys in the river with you who scoot ahead and make sure that everyone is in their tube and staying safe. My son's tube popped when he hit a rock and the tour guy was right there to give him a new tube and help him back in it. It started raining as we rode through the beautiful rain forest, but who cares? You're all wet anyway!

When you exit the river you go back to the bar where you can sample rum punch or try one of the double-strength local spice rums (OK that was an extra $3...but well worth it. The proprietor just handed me the bottle and a cup and said, "Pour what you like." Try the version that has cinnamon sticks floating in it....it warms all the way down.)

Then it's back in the van with Father and back to town.

This is my second time in Dominica. There's really not much to do on this island, but I would highly recommend this excursion as both inexpensive and great fun. (Also check out Trafalger Falls if you have time....that's pretty cool too.)

Visited January 2013