“Absolutely fit my needs, cute, clean, convenient, room to spread out, was perfect.”
Review of Suite Pepper

Suite Pepper
Ranked #14 of 21 Roseau B&B and Inns
Charlotte
Reviewed October 25, 2009

i stayed a week in one of the apartments. The place was very comfortable. Everything was clean, there were appliances so I could make coffee and a small breakfast each morning. It was convenient to Roseau but private as well. I could either open the windows or have the air condition running. I loved my stay and recommend to anyone who would like a nice place to stay. You will need a car to get into Roseau though.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed April 5, 2009

This review is actually for Peppers Suites bed and breakfast in Jimmit, Dominica. (Same owner). Pepper was an excellent host and answered all my questions. He was great. He also offers wonderful guided trips anywhere on the island if you need him. The studio was a very well kept property and very comfortable. Parking was right in front of your studio door. In addition my whole island visit was probably the best of my life. The wonderful hikes, waterfalls, snorkeling, eating and every other amazing thing I was able to do. What an excellent trip. Thank you Pepper and Dominica.
John.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled solo
Coral Gables, Florida
Reviewed December 5, 2008

Suite Pepper is located in a peaceful residential neighborhood in Jimmit. Jimmit is about a ten or fifteen minutes drive north of Roseau. The homes are very nice in this neighborhood. I would guess that a lot of professionals and business people who work in the capitol make their homes here and commute daily. There is a fabulous view of the Caribbean Sea and of the historic Rodney's Rock from atop the roof.

The rooms are of a nice size and offer all the comforts of home: kitchenette, clothes washing machine (very nice for stays of more than a few days. You can pack lightly and just wash as you go. No more worrying about checked luggage!), television, nice new modern a/c unit (so you don't have to worry about it breaking during your stay as happens at many hotels), spotless tiled floors, kitchen table and chairs, ironing board and iron. All you need to make a temporary home away from home... And the prices are very reasonable. All of this combines to make an ideal accomodation for someone staying an extended period of time on the island. Plus, a rare gift for a tourist, you will feel like a local. You will see Dominicans going about their daily lives. For example, one morning a distinguished looking man walked up the road talking to himself. He then said hello to Pepper and us as he passed. Pepper explained he was rehearsing his lines for a play he was acting in! We were also introduced to Pepper's lovely family: Natasha, his 4 year old son Junior, and Natalia his new baby daughter!

The best part of Suite Pepper is Pepper. He is a genuinely nice person. We saw many instances of this as we spent time with him. Also to his credit, he is incredibly generous with his knowledge. When we were touring with him, several times he helped tourists who were confused about where to go on the trails or gave advice to other tourists when they asked for help. So I know if you are a guest at Suite Pepper and choose to tour independently he will be a tremendous resource for you. However, if you are coming for a extended visit and do plan to rent a car I recommend you tour with Pepper the first few days until you become acclimated to the island. If you are not on Dominica for ten days or more it really isn't worth the stressful driving and I strongly advise hiring Pepper for all your touring.

There were so many times when my husband and I were soooo glad we weren't driving. We were there for nine nights and I feel the trip would have been miserable if we were driving ourselves. And we aren't timid travelers: we have driven on the left side of the road in the U.K., Grand Cayman, and St. John in the U.S.V.I. but Dominica is a special case. And we normally really value our privacy and independence. We were hesitant about going with a guide but we are so glad we did. I cannot emphasize enough that Dominica is different... We have hiked in the Canadian Rockies (bear country!), Yellowstone, Yosemite, Costa Rica, etc. but the trails in Dominica are rugged and aren't what most of us are used to. I thought I could hike. Uh, no. Up until now I had been walking. In Dominica I really *hiked* for the first time. Trails have junctions that aren't marked, river crossings are common, there are slippery rocks... Personally I never ever would have gone on those trails without a guide. Even Middleham Falls has a junction where one can easily make a wrong turn!

We were also happy we toured with Pepper instead of renting a car because we would have wasted so much time being lost and attempting to find trailheads, etc. Vacation time is valuable and it is so expensive to get to Dominica. I wanted to see a lot. We were able to pack in a lot of sights and activities with Pepper but it wasn't stressful as he was the one driving us from place to place. I had made an ambitious list of things I wanted to see and do on the trip. We did all those and much more. And we still had two days to relax at the beaches and pool to rest up before returning home. Pepper never rushed us, everything was done at our pace.

A tour guide is also invaluable as many of the trailheads and trails aren't exactly straighforward so it would have been agonizing to be unsure if we were in the right place or not the whole time. There would have been uncomforable feelings of "Uh, those boulders look awfully large. I don't think we are supposed to cross *here*... " The assurance a guide gives is great. And it is safer. Rocks are slippery, stairs are steep... It is nice to know there is a third person if help is needed. And we didn't have the stress of driving. To me, it was worth the extra money to have an experienced local driver behind the wheel. I wanted that factor of safety.

Pepper also knew all the must-see sights. For instance, I had opted to skip Cabrits National Park as my interest was geared more toward nature than history. Pepper was horrified when he heard this. He said we really should go and I am so glad we did. The restored buildings were interesting and the views looking out over Prince Rupert Bay were amazing.

Also, thanks to the very affordable rate given to us by Pepper we were able to hire a guide for four full days instead of one or two. Why would we rent a car and have the hassle when we could have our own private guide to show us the island for less than $100 more than the cost of a rental car and gas per day? It made our decision easier.

I learned Pepper even gives people a tour on the way to their hotel from the airport. I wish I had asked him to pick us up and avoided the stress of the taxi fiasco we experienced!

I have to share this! Pepper was exceptionally dedicated to making his guests' stay incredible. He went way above and beyond. Our itinerary had him picking us up at Beau Rive and touring with us for the day and then dropping us at Jungle Bay for one night and then picking us up before heading with us to Roseau. As he lives near Roseau, he actually spent the night at a friend's house in a nearby village two nights so he could make it to our scheduled pick-up times of 8:30am each morning! This is even more incredible--- he did the east coast hikes the day before we were scheduled to hike to familiarize himself with current trail conditions!!! Who other than Pepper would go to so much trouble? Just unbelievable. This guy really tries so hard to take care of you.

Oh, and when Dr. Lennox Honeychurch came over to say hello to Pepper when we were at Cabrits National Park, he introduced us to him. Dr. Honeychurch is a well-respected author and historian. I thought that was quite impressive!

Pepper was also an amazing hiking guide. He got me to do things I would never have pictured myself doing: scrambling over boulders, walking along paths with drop-offs (I'm sooo scared of heights)... And he was so patient when I went at a snail's pace over difficult places in the trail (well, difficult for me anyway). I was ridiculously terrified of slipping on wet rocks- you are in the rainforest after all- that I probably walked those trails slower than anyone had ever done in the past. My husband would lose patience and take off down the trail. Ha ha. Put Pepper, bless him, never left my side. He had the patience of Job. As you can probably deduce from reading this, I'm not the most adventurous person. But I did Sari Sari with Pepper along with an uncut trail to a hidden waterfall not many people know about, along with many other trails. So he will put even the most hesitant hiker at ease!

Another huge bonus of touring with a guide: avoiding crowds on cruise ship days! By the way, if you are coming by cruise ship you can still tour with Pepper and avoid the crowds- he will simply take you to sights at different times from when the hordes from the organized excursions descend. After all, who wants to experience the rainforest with crowds of people? We did the rainforest sights in Morne Trois PItons National Park on a day 3900 passengers were in port ( 2 ships at 1950 passenger capacity each) and we had each attraction **to ourselves**. That was because our guide, Pepper, knew the schedule of the cruise exursions so he knew where to take us early and then later.

I cannot tell you how happy we were with Pepper. He was incredible. He was enthusiastic, always on time(even on the say he picked us up at 6am!), an excellent driver (very important on the island), incredibly knowledgeable and honest. He never rushed us and actually our tours lasted longer than we had expected because he showed us spots I hadn't requested to see. One day, after being with us for seven hours he offered to take us up to Sulphur Springs **twenty minutes** away to relax our muscles. He wasn't even going to make extra money for the extra two/three hours the excursion would have taken but he offered to take us. We hadn't even mentioned it! We were too tired so we declined. His character was unimpeachable. We relaxed knowing we were being taken care of by such an honest person. And his love of Dominica was amazing. He knew *everything* about it. He is quite an impressive guy. He speaks three languages: English (obviously!), French, and Creole. He is a licensed real estate agent. He has a degree in building construction. He owns two accomodations. He is a licensed tour guide.

We have traveled extensively and have **never** been treated so well as we were by Pepper. Rest assured anything done by him or with him is top-notch. We know we had the best tour guide on the island.

Sorry for the length but I tried to convey how incredible our experiences were with this person. We are still talking about him and we've been back for several days now...

• Liked — Pepper's excellence as a tour guide!
  • Disliked — There was nothing to dislike.
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled with family
2 Thank 8Chocolate
London, England
Reviewed November 14, 2008

At late notice my family and I were accommodated at Suite Pepper for two weeks. The location in Jimmit, Mahaut was ideal as it presented the peace and quiet needed after participation in the World Creole Festival and Independence Day celebrations. The view from the apartment's veranda, day and night, was awesome and the open space for the children in my family to play was far removed from the heavy traffic the celebrations created.

Our friendly host "Dr." Pepper, from the commencement of our stay, was fantastic. He perfected the family's vacation by securing our comfort; with small children in the group, this was an imperative feature he captured - a home from home experience. A family man himself, he fully understood the little accidents we had and dealt with them with a "smile". He gave us insights into some of Dominica's hidden treasures and escorted us on some of them too. He participated in us having the time of our lives!

With the exception of a few members of the family, we are frequent visitors of Dominica and have stayed in many districts on the island. It was however the first time for all of us to stay in Jimmit, Mahaut and we were made so welcome by the host, Pepper, and his neighbours. One of the neighbours and hairdresser in the district styled our hair in preparation for the wedding we were in Dominica to attend, and on another day invited us to her own birthday party. By another neighbour, we were given home grown advocados so big it took two hands to hold! The apartment was fresh, cool and clean and provided us with protection from the hungry mosquitos! Our group was large and the apartment gave us two large bedrooms, and two large bathrooms which catered adequately for the bathtime rush! The whole experience was enhanced by the attentive nature of our host, Pepper. On two occasions he drove us to the airport to catch our respective early morning flights. On the first occasion, he coupled the returm journey from the airport with the much needed escort to the northern part of the island - the remainder of us visitied old contacts in Woodford Hill, Calibishe and Castle Bruce. Along the way, he pointed out and took us to many places of interest, the most interesting of all was the isolated white sand Hampstead Beach - this beach is absolutely amazing. This highlighted Pepper's knowledge of the most intricate parts of the island. A registered tour guide of Dominica he also took us to the Midland Falls - a 45 minute walk/hike to one of the tallest falls on the island, where the pool below is cool, deep and wide and where two rainbows are mostly always visible - for starters, and to Screw's Sulphur Spa for a warm relaxing treatment to the four pools of variant temparatues of warm to hot water which comes from from the hot and cold lakes of Dominica - a perfect wind down of the day - brilliant!

Suite Pepper is strongly recommended as a place to stay for families, groups of friends and the like particularly for its location and the space its provides. No request was too much for the host Pepper, all you need do is ask. If he can't help on any one occasion, "don't lose your smile" because he knows someone who can! Where my family are concerned we have individually stated that Suite Pepper is definitely the first port of call when visiting Dominica again no matter what size our group will be.

• Liked — The space and cleansiness.
  • Disliked — There was nothing to dislike.
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled with family
2 Thank Touspriq
OHIO
Reviewed August 5, 2008

My boyfriend and I stayed 6 nights at Pepper’s Suite and our vacation in Dominica was nothing short of phenomenal. Our experience was made especially remarkable by our host and guide, Pepper. The beauty of our time spent with Pepper was his passion for Dominica, and the time and effort he spent showing us the unspoiled wonders of the country showcased this passion. His breadth of knowledge about his homeland and its inner workings added an invaluable touch to our experience. And every time we heard someone shout, “Pepper!”, whether we were driving the streets of Roseau or laying out on the most secluded beach in Dominica, his unbelievable, celebrity-like popularity made us feel as though we were walking around with the most beloved man on the island.
As far as the Suite itself goes, it far exceeded our expectations. Not only did it have privileged amenities (air conditioner and hot water), but I would go so far as to say that I cannot think of a single way to better the room. Granted, if you’re looking for a spa that is an elevator ride away and room service at your beck and call (though Pepper was just as attentive), this may not be the place for you. However, if you are interested in a private, comfortable, and romantic place to stay, we insist that you book your room with Pepper.
The island of Dominica is a place nearly everyone would enjoy. In particular, if you are an adventure-seeking, open-minded, nature-loving person...no other island could be better suited for you. And if you want as your host the next contender (based on popular vote, of course) for Mayor of Dominica, call Pepper and stay at his Suite or Cottage!

TIP: You’ll be Pepper’s best friend if you buy him some Peanut Punch Rum!

• Liked — Pepper was very attentive and always wanted to make sure our time in Dominica was amazing!
  • Disliked — Nothing!
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank LILBAM
Canada
Reviewed April 29, 2008

We spent some time in Suite Pepper both at the beginning and the end of our stay in Dominica. The suite was brand new and well set up. The only drawback was the location which was in a residential area and some distance from the city. You would want a car as it is very hilly and too far to walk.
Pepper has plans to finish off the roof area and install a small swimming pool. The view from the roof is astounding - out over the Caribbean to the sail boats, cruise ships, barges and tows, plus over Dominica to Rousseau, the capital.
Pepper was our guide on the island and was very knowledgeable, reasonably priced, and knew how to combine other "must see sites" when we were travelling that direction anyway..
Pepper went out of his way to make sure we enjoyed ourselves. He checked in with us most days.
We did spend a couple weeks in Peppers Cottage. Out the back gate is the Caribbean Ocean. The yard was fine and the small pool we used a lot. The cabin itself is old and could use a new coat of paint. But Pepper is very obliging and things were fixed as soon as we pointed out the problems.

• Liked — The suite was brand new so felt very clean.
  • Disliked — The cabin was very old, small and could do with
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank deers
Prague
Reviewed February 27, 2008

Suite Pepper Jimmit Mahaut Commonwealth of Dominica

Located North of Roseau in the village above the see Suite Pepper offers quiet stay in pleasant surroundings with fabulous view. The location is suitable especially for people who want to explore beauties of Dominica and do not want to limit themselves to certain part of the island. Suite Pepper offers comfortable accommodation in the middle of the island; all its sites will be easily accessible for you. Even more, if you like diving or snorkeling, one of major Dominica sides, Rodney Rock is about 20 minute walk/ 3minute drive from the apartment. You can meet many species of fishes here, small and big. Rodney Rock is really worth exploring.

We spend 14 days in Suite Pepper in January 2008. Our stay was wonderful especially thanks to the Suite owner and his everyday support and help. Wellington "Pepper" Daway knows everything about Dominica, its sites and people and shares it willingly with his guests. He helped us whenever we needed, much over usual duties of an accommodator. He is a real host.

Thank you very much Wellington, our stay in your apartment was wonderful.

• Liked — Kind and helpful owner
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled with family
2 Thank liliPrague
Also consider these accommodations in or near Roseau
Secret Bay
Anchorage Hotel & Dive Center
Rosalie Bay Resort
Rosalie Bay Resort
#1 of 1 in Rosalie

Been to Suite Pepper? Share your experiences!