“Island Style Fishing and Whale Watching is a terrific day out”

IslandStyle Fishing Whale Watching & Charters
New York City, New York
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 29 helpful votes
“Island Style Fishing and Whale Watching is a terrific day out”
Reviewed October 29, 2012

My husband and I signed up for a private 1/2 day fishing and whale watching excursion with Island Style, specifically with the captain Jerry and his mate. We were able to see dolphins, whales in the distance, schools of skipjacks (we actually hooked two) and saw the island from a different view.

Jerry took us out on the Proud Mary which is a large, beautifully maintained boat. He is extremely knowledgeable good guy who put out many lines for my hsuband and kept a lookout for whales/fish from above. Highly recommend him and his boat!

Visited October 2012
1 Thank Glorianne G

Petersfield, United Kingdom
122 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 177 helpful votes
“A whale of a time”
Reviewed August 28, 2012

It was something I always wanted to do, see whales in the wild and to get a photo of a whale tail as the creature dived, here in Dominica with this guy's help I did it. great time on board very knowledgable crew, patient too.

Visited October 2011
Highland, Michigan
“IslandStyle - Great Fishing Charter Trip”
Reviewed January 23, 2012

During a family cruise in the southern Caribbean in Jan. 2012, we stopped in Roseau, Dominica. Our grandson found us the most reasonable fishing trip among 8 island stops with Captain Jerry of IslandStyle Charters. He met us at the Young Hotel on schedule and ferried our group of 5 to his fishing boat "Proud Mary". While he was initially setting lines a fish took a bait and made a strong run snapping the line. He judged it to likely be a Kingfish. Approximately one hour of trolling later we had a release from an outrigger line and after a little"fish coaxing" by Jerry there was a big fish surfacing behind the boat. Several minutes later we had it close to the boat and after a few tries with a gaff hook it was successfully brought aboard. This fish was a striped blue marlin about 80 inches long and weighing approximately 100 lbs. Although other marlin were sighted, we did not catch any more during our 24 miles of trolling in reasonable proximity of the island. The trip was considered to be very successful and all were happy with our half day fishing charter with Jerry of Island Style Charters. Sharing the photos with other fishermen on the cruise ship made them very envious.

Visited January 2012
Salt Lake City, Utah
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 42 helpful votes
“Beware of Excessive Optimism”
Reviewed January 17, 2012

When we booked our Eastern Caribbean cruise and found out that Dominica is a great place to see whales, we set out to find a good whale watching tour and settled on Captain Jerry of IslandStyle. Unfortunately, when there is a 90% chance of seeing whales, that means that 10% still don't see them and that was us. Nor did we see dolphins or any other type of marine life. What we did get for our money was a nice boat ride along the coast of Dominica in the rain and a cup of juice.

I contacted Captain Jerry by e-mail in advance. He replied that there was a tour available that day and gave us instructions to mail a check for the full amount to Dominica. I did so and then waited for confirmation that it was received, which I didn't get. I finally e-mailed to ask for confirmation and received only somewhat timely responses that our check had NOT been received weeks after I sent it. Just before our cruise, I finally paid $25 to cancel the check and was given information on where to meet Captain Jerry when we arrived at port.

We hurried off the ship to meet Captain Jerry and then we waited with no sign of him for about half an hour. When he arrived, he had our cancelled check and we paid him cash. My cynical self thinks that he had it all along, but wanted to be paid in cash instead. That would have been nice to know before I paid the bank fee. About a dozen others from our ship arrived at the same time and we set off.

The back of the boat was crowded, so my husband and I climbed around to sit alone on the front, which we enjoyed. The day was rainy and we had to retreat to the covered area in the back for a while. We were out for about three hours and saw no sea life at all, which was so disappointing. There was another whale watching boat in the distance and they didn't seem to be doing any better. We understand that nature is unpredictable, and Captain Jerry seemed to be doing his best, so we don't blame him. Unfortunately though, our experience with him was not a very positive one. If we had seen whales, I would have given the tour a higher rating and been less annoyed by the mediocre customer service before the tour.

Because of the time and money this tour cost us, we didn't feel like we were able to do much else on Dominica except wander the shops near the port before getting back on the ship early. Dominica is a beautiful island and we hope to give it another chance someday.

Visited April 2011
4 Thank alaypath
West Chester, Ohio
24 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 34 helpful votes
“Whale watching was great!”
Reviewed March 31, 2011

After some initial confusion as to where we were meeting, we met up with Captain Jerry just before he gave up on us. The 9 of us quickly boarded his boat (and with other 4 people already on board), we were on our way. We motored out away from land and eventually got to see a sperm whale spouting and surfacing several times. We even caught up with a research boat that was studying the whales. While the researchers were telling us about their studies, we saw 2 humpback whales in the distance breeching out of the water. We were quickly on our way to see them up close. We spent a little while following the humpbacks and spotted them quite a few times before they swam off. After a drink break, Capt. Jerry took us along the shore line and told us a bit about the area. All 9 of us thoroughly enjoyed our cruise with Capt. Jerry. His eyesight (which was amazing) and enthusiasm helped to make this a memorable excursion.

Visited March 2011