“Highly Recommend seeing this!!!” 5 of 5 bubbles

and up
Middleham Falls and Ti'tou Gorge Half-Day Excursion
Ranked #6 of 109 things to do in Dominica
More attraction details
Owner description: A natural water-ride created by two hot springs, a rock pool and a river.
Valencia, CA
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Highly Recommend seeing this!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 22, 2013

Was on a Celebrity Cruise at the end of April 2013 and one of the stops was Dominica! Honestly, when looking at the itinerary before the trip, I didn't give much thought to Dominica because I didn't know much about the island. Well, let me tell you, Dominica is a beautiful contrast to the beach stops on our cruise (St. Maarten, St. Thomas, Barbados, etc.) because it is very green with mountains and rainforests. It reminded me of a tropical rainforest straight out of Pirates of the Caribbean.

While in Dominica, my wife an I went on this excursion that took us to the TiTou Gorge. Once I jumped into the water at the mouth of the gorge, I felt that I was in a tropical rainforest! The gorge itself was about 15 feet to as much as 30 feet in some places. At the end of the gorge (about 100 feet or so) is a beautiful waterfall. In fact, a scene from Pirates of the Caribbean movie (Dead Man's Chest) was filmed in TiTou Gorge. The water (being fresh water in the mountains) was cold at first but you got used to it very fast. If you aren't a strong swimmer with good endurance, I'd suggest you pay for a guide to tow you along the way. The walls of the gorge are slippery and go straight up so there isn't a place to stop and rest (maybe one spot along the way). A swim to the end of the gorge rewards you to a beautiful waterfall!
The only minor negative is that there are no lockers or storage for your shoes and/or backpacks when you decide to swim into the gorge. I'd suggest wearing water shoes that you can swim with and getting a cheap $20 cover for you cellphone so that you can take that with you on your swim to take pictures.

Visited April 2013
5 Thank Joey B

• Polish first
St Jérôme
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“Great experience!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 7, 2013

Was there mid March 2013. It is a short walk and there it was. Yes the water is cool but it is soooo neat to swim between this rock formation. We jumped in the water fall. The current is strong but not dangerous. I definitely recommend.

Visited March 2013
1 Thank Rachel B
Cleveland, Ohio
19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 52 helpful votes
“titou-riffic! just watch your shoes...”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 7, 2013

My girlfriend and I went on a day when there was no cruise ship, and were glad to find we had the entire place to ourselves. The water was very cold, but quite refreshing. The pool leading into the gorge quickly drops to about 3 meters, so be careful if you aren't a strong swimmer as there aren't many places to grab hold of once inside the gorge. After about 50 meters or so of swimming, there is a 1 meter waterfall which is fed by a small pool and a slightly larger 2-3 meter waterfall. It is very easy to climb up into that smaller pool, as the rocks are not slippery. Slightly easier swim on the way out, as you are swimming with the current.

The only downside was that since we were the only people there, we hid (or so we thought) our flip flops and my water bottle at the entrance. After spending about 30 minutes inside, we came back out only to find that someone had stolen our shoes. If not for some very kind people coming back from their boiling lake hike who lent us a spare pair and gave us a ride to our hotel, it would have been a horrible rocky walk back to the bus stop. We are still wondering why anyone would want our old cheap beaten up flip flops...

Overall a great experience, and was magical to have the place to ourselves. Much of the experience would have been lost, however, if there were a lot of people. And again, take everything you have with you or leave it with someone not going in. Even if you think you are alone, it will get stolen.

Visited March 2013
2 Thank RexBannerHasPuppies
Atlanta, Georgia
22 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 23 helpful votes
“Refreshing”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 18, 2013

The locals say that the water in the gorge is refreshing. I would say that it was cold. However, once you are in for a few minutes and moving around you will no longer notice it. After a short walk through the forest you will come upon the gorge. There is a shallow area where you can enter and then it quickly drops off to water that is around 15 ft. If you are with a tour operator, like we were, they will provide a float. I would highly recommend this since as I said the water is deep, cold, and once inside there really isn't anywhere to grab onto. Once inside you can see the waterfall and there is a little cove you can stand in. It is defiantly an experience worth doing at least once. Make sure yon your way out to stop by the smaller water that is spitting out warmer water to warm up a bit. There is also a small overlook at the top where you can look down into the gorge. Its a great place to have someone take photos if everyone doesn't go in.

Visited February 2013
1 Thank Prim8Keeper
Greensboro, North Carolina
45 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 33 helpful votes
“cold but well worth it”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 30, 2013

We visited in April and had a great time. The drive up there was interesting because the roads are small and less developed than where we are from but the scenery was lovely. Once we arrived we had to walk a small ways to get closer to the gorge. My husband has a bad knee and ankle so I was worried but the walk was not bad at all and the guides keep a nice pace. When you are near the “jump in” there were some benches to place our clothes and items. Once you enter the water I will warn you it is a bit of a shock. Luckily I had read travel blogs about how cold the temperature was so I was prepared but I didn’t tell my husband . The locals we were with called it “refreshing” but I thought it was still cold, however your body does get used to it the further you swim. There is a small pool you enter which if you have children that may be scared to go further in, is a great place to wade. We had a life vest but I am very small so I did have some problems as we swam into the gorge getting pushed back but my husband stayed with me and we found it to be pretty fun. The waters were deep that day and so we couldn’t get all the way under like some pictures I’ve seen on the internet. I will say that I touched the walls a few times trying to prevent myself from waving backwards and saw little creatures like crabs or something but there were only a few small ones and it is the water after all so I did expect that.

Visited April 2012