“Loud music, rude staff. Avoid!!!”

Screw's Sulphur Spa
Ranked #14 of 109 things to do in Dominica
Reviewed July 18, 2012

We'd heard such good things about Screw's and were excited to visit. But when we arrived, we were confronted by a woman with an expression so sour it would have given a lime serious competition. She greeted us with an annoyed "Yes?" as though we had wandered into her backyard uninvited. We were so taken aback, we didn't know what to say.

My husband managed to ask if we had arrived at Screw's and if we could use the Spa. The woman pointed to a table with a price list on it and said something we couldn't hear because there was ear-splitting reggae music filling the courtyard. I told her I hadn't heard what she said and asked if she could lower the music a bit so we could hear her. She sulked off, resentment trailing behind her, and fiddled with the volume. Lowering it and then raising it and lowering it again and then raising it even louder than before. WOW!!! Really???

She came back and started to say something, but it was impossible to hear her. My husband and I looked at each other in shock and simply turned on our heels and left Screw's. This really wasn't what we wanted from a spa. Isn't it supposed to be relaxing and peaceful? Happily we ended up at nearby Papillote Wilderness Retreat, which is not a spa, but is peaceful and beautiful, with welcoming staff and wonderful hot sulphur pools and waterfalls, which we thoroughly enjoyed.

7  Thank hendrix924

Reviewed July 15, 2012

What a fantasic idea to make this natural resource into a business!!!! We went in the evening so it was pitch dark and left around 9.30pm. It cost us a mere EC$10 each (not US$) for a piece of divine happiness!!! Unforunately, there are no lights guiding you from the differnt variants of pools but we had torches.. The place is completely safe to immerse yourself in the water whilst leaving your valuable items nearby. There are small changing rooms to change into and out of but we chose to come prepared to just strip to our swimming atire so no need to use these rooms. Even afterwards, I let my cossie dry on me without changing as the atmosphere allows you to dry naturally. Each pool is pretty shallow but you need to be careful with the rocks on the side and underneath as I actaully scratched myself several times on these protruding and scathing rocks. All in all, the experience is delightful and relaxing. If you start at the bottom and work your way up, this is the most ideal way of making this work for your well being. I only wished there was such a beautiful place in the UK where I could chill out at leat twice a week I'd be the happiest person on earth!!!! Now i've found this place, I intend to go every time I visit Dominica and not just for one time only. I was told the rastafarian guy along with his American partner own the place and reside in a tree house overlooking the place... how wonderful!!!!

1  Thank marcellondon
Reviewed June 4, 2012

this spa is amazing!! i'm originally from dominica and when i visit, SCREWS is a must. It's great for families, couples and friends. Perfect for a romantic evening.
it's low cost @ $10.00. Local fruit is provided at the end. The staff is also wonderful.

2  Thank ShalaJoseph
Reviewed May 30, 2012

What a great way to start your day or to rest your weary bones after a long day of hiking! We came here a few times while in Dominica!

1  Thank mcleod15
Reviewed May 26, 2012

It's a bit like a Roman bathing house, except that it is in the hills of Dominica. Hot sulphur rich water, straight out of the mountain flows into a series of linked pools. As the water travels through the pools, the temperature gets cooler. It's all highly therapeutic. And then there is the cool pool, for that final cold plunge. Screws is open in the day. But I particularly enjoyed going late at night around 9pm. It's the best time to enjoy the hot baths. Reggae music is piped throughout the bathing area. Screws is popular with the local crowd and is a must-do for visitors.

1  Thank Caroline P