“Just the basics”

Ranked #31 of 32 Hotels in Willemstad
Los Angeles, California
“Just the basics”
Reviewed August 8, 2010

The room was great in terms of the basics (clean, comfortable beds, AC). The hotel's location was great although it's parking lot was initially hard to find since you have to get to it through this sort of bus terminal. However our stay was a little disappointing in some areas. The website stated there was an internet terminal, but there was none. The pool on a few days (we stayed there just short of two weeks) was rather dirty and only open until 6pm. The staff was not necessarily rude, but they we not very helpful. I had problems opening up the safe, called the front desk and was told to call back in the morning (it was around 7pm). The following morning I called again, after waiting for a good while, no one came. I called a 2nd time & was then told that someone would come "when he has time". Eventually someone did come and resolved the problem. Another problem: our car got blocked in by a couple of their cement trucks (they were doing some construction) and yet no one notified us and were told that we'd just have to wait until they moved. Also there was no microwave, no coffee maker, no little bottles of shampoo and conditioner. So overall, we enjoyed our stay and I would recommend it if you just want a basic room, good location, and want to keep to a low budget. If you are wanting more hospitality & other comforts, stay elsewhere.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank DonaEspie

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed May 21, 2010

I read the reviews before deciding to stay here. I expected that I would find a neat place, basics that functioned and little service. While I was on business, I also take time for myself to see things, have a few drinks and hang out. The location was perfect, right across from the pontoon bridge. It's downtown. There's a big casino within five minutes of walking. There's a cab stand right there. The hotel has a great little pub in front of it. The people were nice. If you don't need fancy, you don't need a lot of hand holding and you want to spend money on eating, drinking and having fun this place is great. Low cost, big value. Nothing fancy. It was clean, neat and functional.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
3 Thank Martin H
Trinidad
Reviewed March 18, 2010

The location is excellent ..close to transport, shopping, restaurants, the bank, night spots etc. I enjoyed the fact that I was really close to the Shopping area even though my husband wasn't...too much walking for him! LOL. We really explored the place and relaxed in the Brionplien alot at nights. This was great I will definitely go back there again. Oh and there is no casino! not that I mind...more shopping $ I am definitely going back right there.

I remembered one contributor mention that the place was filthy etc...we had a suite it was recently renovated....much like the rest of the town is going through now....and our room was immaculate. large bathroom...clean two queen size beds the only minor problem for me was that our room was at the back of the hotel facing the pool and the school...i would have loved to sake up to Brionplien every morning. Although we slept so good throughout that we almost missed our flight back home...then realised that my watch was wrong!!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
6 Thank diamond007tt
Chicagoland
Reviewed February 28, 2010

I actually had some dread and low expectations after reading the bad reviews here but I guess we were very pleasantly surprised because our stay was fantastic. We didn't expect a resort (and didn't pay the resort prices) but the pool and pool area was clean with lounge chairs always available plus we often had the pool completely to ourselves. We had room 401 and it had what I would consider the best view of all (highest floor/spot available). Room 401 and 402 are the only 2 'loft' rooms where you walk a private staircase to get to it. I believe this helped keep the noise level down and afforded us some great privacy. Service I found to be fantastic as well. The 2nd night our A/C stopped working (in the middle of Carnival celebrations at 8pm mind you) and I walked down to the front desk to inquire about repair. By the time I was back up to our room, a service person was already in the room and addressing the problem. It was repaired within 20 minutes and we could freeze ourselves out of the room if we wanted the rest of the stay. Now keep in mind this was not a 5star hotel and the only hotel on the island that did not have internet but we didn't want internet and were not there for a 'gorgeous room' Parking was free with security watching in back so that worked out great for us. BTW: We were there for our 'budget honeymoon' and was very pleasantly surprised. Nice comfortable king bed, clean sheets, redone bathroom (shower wasn't the best water pressure but got the job done regardless). Plenty of hot water.. We had a mini-fridge and coffee maker (we don't drink coffee but guests have to supply their own coffee if you wanted to make use of it -- no sugar and creme either for you coffee lovers!) Is this a great resort stay? NO but if you are on a budget and want to be close to the city with free parking, this could be the place for you!

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Chris W
London
Reviewed December 6, 2009

I don't want to give details, because I don't want to pile pressure on the person who went out of her way to help me at this hotel, but she came to my aid when I protested about being given a depressing room at the back of the building, with a view of the car park (although as a single female traveller, this is what you expect..) I was very grateful to this person, and will happily return to the hotel because of the help I had from her. In general, it is an excellent place, if you get one of the better rooms and if you can overlook the apathetic and surly manner of the staff at Reception.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled solo
4 Thank Annith
the garden
Reviewed October 11, 2009

This is a great hotel if you are not on the island to sit at the resort beach all day. If you rent a car and want to actually experience the island and the city center then this is the place for you. Ask for one of the rooms facing the square & canal - so you can enjoy the view of the passing ships and goings-on in the plaza. I was leery to stay here after reading the reviews on tripadvisor but would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
3 Thank grdnview
Golden, Colorado
Reviewed February 6, 2009

The HoJo in Willemstadt is undergoing renovations. Maybe they'll get it right eventually, but it's pretty mediocre now. Our room had new furniture, but utterly bare walls. The bed was hard as a brick, and the sheets were ripped. The lighting was dreadful and the drain in the sink wouldn't open. On the other hand, the location is very convenient--right next door to the fabulous Museum Kura Hulanda. I'd think twice before going back.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Evanescent

Travelers are raving about these Willemstad hotels