“Nice, fair priced resort” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Sunscape Curacao Resort Spa & Casino - Curacao

Sunscape Curacao Resort Spa & Casino - Curacao
Ranked #10 of 31 Hotels in Willemstad
Greenbrier, Tennessee
“Nice, fair priced resort”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2014

We visited the Sunscape Resort June 5-June 13. Check in was easy and the staff was nice. The bell hop was very friendly and carried all our bags to our room. The room was sufficient with a wonderful view. The only issue with the room we experienced was the mattress was very hard and uncomfortable. The dining was nice. Breakfast was a buffet each day with a variety of items to choose from. Lunch was a buffet or a grill. The buffet was nice, however the hamburger at the grill had a very odd taste and texture. Dinner was great. We ate at the steakhouse, seafood, Italian and buffet while visiting. Again, the beef in the Italian dish had an odd taste and texture but the service was great. The service at the other restaurants was also very good. Daynalisa, who staffed the buffet for breakfast and lunch was wonderful. She remembered us by name within two days and was always so nice and inquired about our stay and what plans we had for the day. The beach was very nice, however a bit rocky. I recommend wearing water shoes to protect the bottoms of your feet. My husband spent two days snorkeling and loved it. The pools were clean, unlike other reviewers posts. The nightly entertainment was okay. We were disappointed in the scheduled fire show being cancelled during our stay, but the live music was nice. The spa was excellent. The gym would be better with some air, it gets awfully hot working out! The only thing we did not like was the push to visit a time share presentation from the concierge. Checking out was quick and easy.

• 1 of 5 stars
5 Thank rachel3648
Jose C, General Manager at Sunscape Curacao Resort Spa & Casino - Curacao, responded to this review, July 10, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review of our property, your comments are very much valued. We really appreciate your comments regarding our customer service and ongoing upgrades to the property. Our staff members take their roles in our industry very seriously and try, every day, to provide that quality customer service, that our guests expect.

Thank you again, and we look forward to seeing you on your next trip.

Jose Corletto

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,142)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
Lisbon, Ohio, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2014

This was my husband and I's second trip to this resort within 10 months. We went there for our honeymoon in Sept 2013 and returned with our 16 year old children in June 2014. We are totally in love with the Island and the resort. Norma the bartender at the Oceana is fantastic Angela at the preferred clubs bar is spectacular, Chu Chu the recreation coordinator was awesome and the girls at the spa were great the even coordinated an appointed with us prior to arrival. Kurt the rooms manager exceeded all of our expectations. There were many others; servers, bartenders and cooks that were just awesome. I would recomment this resort to everyone I know. In fact I do. The rooms and water were fantastic. Room Service did a fantastic job with keeping supplies and the rooms clean. I LOVE IT!!!!!!! I would live here if I could and work at the resort. AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Our kids couldn't understand why my husband and I were always talking about it; NOW THEY CANT STOP TALKING ABOUT IT and of course asking when can we go back. They want to go back for a month for their graduation gift!!!! Brett and Kelly Clingerman OHIO, USA

Room Tip: Ocean View top floor if you can do the steps
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank Kelly C
Jose C, General Manager at Sunscape Curacao Resort Spa & Casino - Curacao, responded to this review, July 9, 2014
Dear Guest,

Please receive the warmest greetings from Sunscape Curacao Resort, Spa & Casino. We would like to take the opportunity to thank you for making us part of such a special trip and for sharing your positive experience with others through this forum.

We are extremely happy to read that we were able to fulfill your expectations and that our staff’s friendliness and hospitality, was able to contribute to how good your vacation was.
It was a pleasure to have vacationed with you.

We look forward to hosting you again in the future.

Best Regards,

Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2014

This was our first time staying at an all-inclusive resort and we were very satisfied.

We really enjoyed the restaurants and the food was much better than we expected. We ate at all the restaurants for dinner and had the dinner buffet one night. The dinner buffet was unimpressive, but the restaurant food was simple and good.

The resort staff were fantastic and always attentive/friendly.

The beach is nice with some good snorkeling. I recommend renting a car and exploring the island. (Note: If you do rent a car, get the GPS. Routes are not obvious because many of the roads do not connect to each other, making getting around maze-like.) We went to some other beaches and they were all beautiful!

The room was spacious, clean, and updated with good views.

I didn't use the gym because I either ran or ocean swam in the morning.

My only complaint is that the only available wi-if was in the lobby. Also, there was NO electrical outlet in our bathroom, and the only electrical outlet near a mirror in the bedroom was a European outlet. In short, bring an adapter.

I'm giving the resort five stars for the excellent service and what you get for the price. This is about as good as it gets in this price point!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
7 Thank Andi_Leigh
Dear Guest,

Greetings from Sunscape Curacao Resort, Spa & Casino.

It has been an honor to be part of your visit and we feel really proud and grateful to learn that it turned out a memorable trip.

Knowing that our guests enjoyed their overall stay and want to come back, keep us motivated and is the reason why we keep on looking for better ways to please our guests.

We look forward to keep indulging you in the service standards.

Best Regards!

Sarasota, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2014

My husband and I led a dive trip to Sunscape last week out of Florida. I've stayed at actual 5 star resorts (Ritz Carlton, etc.) and this is not one... HOWEVER, once you let go and relax, look around at the blue, and I mean BLUE, water, the friendly staff and upgrade to a room in the new building, you will be a happier camper!

ACCOMODATIONS:
We were first placed in an 'upgraded' deluxe oceanfront in one of the older buildings that have been remodeled but it was musty, the bathroom was tiny, dark and slippery, the a/c just kept on going and going and going but never quite dried out the room and the bed was SEVERELY FIRM. Truthfully, it was like laying on the floor on a blanket...really. We tried to change rooms but the resort was packed. My husband and I lay there in the dark and made "Well, my bed was so hard" jokes, giggling until we passed out at some point (unisom!). They did reserve another room in another remodeled building but one of our guests in that building said their beds were like rocks, too, so we didn't bother. ANOTHER thing about the sleeping arrangements, apparently, they don't use blankets down there. You just have a sheet and the green 'thin' blanket they lay at the bottom of the bed to protect the white linens from your feet. Apparently everyone slept under these thin (barely covers your body!) blankets. I did ask for blankets and they delivered an old tattered blue one that I didn't end up using.

VIBE:
The weekends there ARE filled with lots of people taking advantage of the unlimited liquor and floating in the pool all day. It was a little loud and sort of like a cruise ship (three different songs playing at the same time!!!). BUT by Monday and for the remainder of the week (until the weekend again), it was very quiet, very European (with Brazilian music softly playing...nice). I'm not sure if there is a weekend special or it was just when we were there. By Tuesday, we got a letter from management that they were moving us to the new building (!!!!) because they were working on some electrical issues in our building. The room we ended up in MADE the trip. It was enormous, the bathroom was huge, bright and well appointed. The bed, oh, the beds were delightful. We had a view of the pool and water. I was happy.

FOOD:
The eating situation is a little weird and people line up early to get into the restaurants. The service is slow, the Asian not really Asian, the Italian not Italian but all is tasty. The Blue grill is good for steak ( but don't order it cooked medium...tough as hell because this is south American beef, not soft, fatty American beef!). Med. Rare...take my word for it! Apparently, the hamburgers fresh off the grill at lunch were spectacular. The fish restaurant in the back of the resort was delicious according to people on our trip. My husband and I mainly went to the main World Café...Buffet style, really interesting curries (goat, chicken, pork), salads, stir fries, pasta and a kids section with hot dogs, hamburgers, nuggets and fries. The desserts were very light fluffy cakes. Tons of veggies (cooked or raw). You didn't starve here.

SPA:
I had one deep tissue massage with Joanna (sp?) and it was really wonderful. The Spa is very plain but clean and I was grateful that my masseuse didn't speak much English (I always get chatty Masseuses in the US that annoy the hell out of me). They DO need to replace the speakers because they sound warped or rusted out so much so that I had Joanna turn the volume very low because it was tinny sounding.

DIVE OPERATION: OCEAN ENCOUNTERS:
Dive center located onsite. OUTSTANDING staff that took very good care of our group which expects the best, always...The boats were large and comfortable. The dive sites closest to the resort (tugboat, shipwreck point) were actually BETTER than the 'famous sites' that took 1-1.5 hours to get to. The water is rough so if your not a natural sailor (like me, even with the scopolamine patch), skip the Mushroom Forrest and Klein Curacao (both long trips; boat leaves around 8:30 and returns around 3-4pm!). The night dive at the Tugboat was my first and was VERY cool...saw two Octopus!) Some of our folks did the Lionfish Experience, watching the licensed dive masters kill this invasive, poisonous import from Asia. They caught 83 of them and were invited to a free dinner of what they caught in town (Willemstad).

SURROUNDING AREA:
The Dutch girls at the dive center said to take the local buses (vans) (directly across the street) for the 10 minute ride to Willemstad. Since you're not a local, the price changes every time (amusing), but about 3 dollars for two of you. They won't make change. They WILL make detours, which we were given the heads up on. You feel like the dumb American tourist in the back not knowing what they're saying as you go on a ride to drop or pick someone up at their house! We got some interesting tours into residential neighborhoods, which I enjoyed but two of the gals on the trip did not (I talked them out of taking a taxi for $30!). Probably a 5 minute add to the travel time. Willemstad is small, bustling and full of history. We went to the Synagogue ($10), took the obligatory pictures of the colorful buildings and crossed the floating bridge! We ended up at Gouverner de Rouville, the actual house of the governor. Stunning building/courtyard/view of the colorful buildings. Nice place to cool off on the terrace in the shade and drink a cold drink or have a salad when it's quiet. We went back our last night (group of 10) and it took 2 hours for our food to come...not good.

INTERNET: They charge $40 for the week to sit in their lobby area to get internet. Kind of a drag but if you have to keep in touch. It was mostly people on their phones facebooking....

CABLE: All the rooms have TVs and yes, there's HBO, CNN, CbS out of Miami and then a bunch of Dutch channels! But what are you doing watching TV!!! Go out, get a pina colada and sit under a palm tree and fade away!!!!

CASINO: Didn't bother but had to go in there to break a hundred. I stunk like an ashtray after being in there for 3 minutes.

TIPS:
Bring some water booties if you've got sensitive feet. The lagoon to swim in has lots of rocks.
Bring some bread into the water in the lagoon. Within seconds you'll have gorgeous blue and yellow fish feeding around you!
Be patient with everything; you're on Island time....

This was actually a great resort once you got the rhythm of how it worked. For the money, this resort is worth it all day long! We WILL be back. Enjoy!

Room Tip: Make sure to request a room in the NEW BUILDING.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
8 Thank SRQGirlie
Dear guest,

Thank you for informing us of your recent stay.

It was a pleasure to host you at Sunscape Curacao Resort, Spa & Casino and we really appreciate the time you have taken to share your experience. Thank you for choosing us as your vacation destination.

We are glad to hear your overall experience was a great one, and you enjoyed every aspect of the resort, such as the food, the Entertainment activities and the attentions provided from our staff.

We look forward to having you back soon.

Should there be anything else we could assist you with, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Always at your service,

Fort Lauderdale, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2014

Arrived at 9 at night. Despite having booked a junior Suite with double bed we were shown an awful room almost 10 minutes walk from the main building. It was up two flights of unlit stairs. the room was small, old, and not what I booked. After a long discussion we were given another room in a renovated block close to the main hotel. What we were not told was this ground floor room was across the canal and let than 100 feet away from a nightclub which blasted house music until 2 am. there was no chance of sleeping. The hotel staff said the club only played on Saturdays. That proved totally untrue! After a lot of debate we finally got a room on the other side of the block on the 5 th floor ( rooms with odd no's are on the opposite side to the nightclub.) Which was exactly what we booked. The staff were all very friendly in the restaurants and bars with ready smiles and good humour.

The local dive centre were professional, and fun to dive with. there is also a good snorkel and dive reef outside the hotels sheltered lagoon.

Driving is a challenge. All the signs are in Dutch, if you can find any

Room Tip: See above Away from the local night club and renovated
4 Thank Jgdutyfree
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your review regarding your recent stay with us. We take every comment received very seriously in order to continue improving our services.
It is regrettable to learn that you encountered situations during your stay that may have tampered with your vacations.
Please rest assured knowing that we are currently working on the points mentioned above in order to significantly improve our services.

Remaining at your services and wishing you a pleasant day.

Lafayette, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2014

We just returned from a 7 day trip at Sunscape Curaçao and we had a wonderful time. The staff at the resort were friendly and willing to make your stay the best it could be. Every request was made with a smile and a "My pleasure".
When we arrived late because of a flight delay, Jose was there to greet us with a smile on his face. We were disappointed to see that our room was on the ground floor. No problem! Jose called the preferred lounge and our room was changed to the fifth floor with a fantastic view! Since it was 12:00 at nite, we were starved after flying all day. No problem! The people at the Blue Water Grill made us some fresh hamburgers and fries to order!

Zjanina arranged a renewal ceremony for us and we could not be happier. She is a true gem of an employee. She exceeded our expectations on all levels. She listened to what I wanted for the ceremony, and made sure that it all flowed effortlessly . She arranged for us to have a private dinner on the beach at Oceana's. Watching the sunset on the beach was a fantastic way to end the celebration. Then to go back to our rooms and see the beautiful turn down service with the swans and flowers , we could not have asked for it to be better. The ladies at the spa also deserve a word of praise. They did my daughters and my hair and made us feel very pampered and special.

Every day our rooms were well maintained with the mini bar well stocked. When meeting the woman who cleaned our room in the hallway ( I do not remember her name),she always had a smile and was asking if there was anything else she could do to make our stay more pleasant .

The entertainment staff also was outstanding and always had so much energy! Chuchoo,Chriss, Prince T, Zeric, Leo, Bryan, Roshan, and Gigo worked hard at making sure we all had a good time at the resort. They even got my son and husband doing water aerobics ! There were so many ways that you could participate or just watch and enjoy!

We really liked that there were so many different options for food. It was also nice when the workers recognized you and stopped to talk to you and find out if there was anything else they could do to make your stay better. Our favorite was the Himitsu the hibachi restaurant for dinner. The cooks made for a very delightful and delicious dinner.

Our second favorite place was the buffet.Every morning the buffet made delicious omelets to order. That along with some of the local foods made for a great dining experience. Every lunch there were many different options along with a make your own pasta. When De Maras and Himitsu were closed ( they both close 1 day a week) the buffet included some fantastic barbecue. My husband and daughter got into the habit of making a 12:00am run to the Blue Water Grill to get some of their delicious French fries.

If we had one complaint about dinner, it would be about De Maras. Although we really liked the Italian restaurant we found the service to be extremely slow. We were one of the first groups seated, but were still waiting for dessert 3 hours later.

Finding things to do outside the resort was also a breeze. Each morning representatives from different vacation groups were in the lounge to help you plan activities around the island. One trip we did was the East-West Island tour. Elmer was our tour guide from Apple Vacations and he made the trip so enjoyable. We even got to eat iguana at the restaurant stop. It was well worth the price because you really got to see the island and learn about the history.

The grounds of the resort were well maintained and the beach was the thing that drew us to Sunscape. That along with the snorkeling opportunities (one hour free each day) made us want to stay for another week.

We all had such a wonderful time. Sunscape Curaçao is truly a paradise that we can not wait to get back to next year.

Room Tip: We paid for the upgrade to Preferred rooms. We were located in the Royal Tower and the rooms were we...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
7 Thank Mntlab
Dear Guest,

Greetings from Sunscape Curacao Resort, Spa & Casino!

It has been an honor to be part of your visit to Curacao and we feel really proud and grateful to learn that it turned out a memorable trip.

We look forward to keep indulging you in the service standards.

Baltimore, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2014

Our first inclusive resort experience ever and I now understand why so many travelers choose this type of travel .The kind staff made us feel completely welcomed from the moment of arrival.The entertainment crew ,especially Johnny R and O'Bryan, made the effort to involve us in the resort activities and answered our questions about their culture and country.The professional entertainment was diverse.I especially enjoyed the Carnival Parade!

Room Tip: Upgrade to an ocean view room for the expansive room size,balcony, and view.
6 Thank DeVaLan
Dear guest,

Thank you for informing us of your recent stay.

We are very happy to know your experience was truly a wonderful one, and we thank you deeply for choosing us. It was a pleasure to host you, but even more pleasant to hear how much you enjoyed every aspect of the resort. Consider Sunscape Curacao Resort, Spa & Casino your new home away from home.

We really appreciate the time you've taken to share this amazing experience. Our mission has always been to provide our guests with the exceptional services they deserve by taking utmost care of each and every one of their needs.

We look forward to hosting you again soon.

If there is anything else we could assist you with, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Jose Corletto
Also consider these accommodations in or near Willemstad
Van der Valk Kontiki Beach Resort
Baoase Luxury Resort
Baoase Luxury Resort
#1 of 31 in Willemstad
5.0 of 5 stars 439 reviews

Been to Sunscape Curacao Resort Spa & Casino - Curacao? Share your experiences!