“Had a relaxing and fun week, with minor complaints”

Sunscape Curacao Resort Spa & Casino
Ranked #9 of 32 Hotels in Willemstad
Reviewed April 29, 2014

My boyfriend and I just returned from Sunscape on April 27th. The resort is pretty nice and we stayed in the 2000 building, which had newly renovated rooms. To make it easy to read/follow I will list the pros and cons of this resort:

PROS
-pretty clean
-decent sized room
-beautiful weather, great location and not far from the airport at all (this is nice after a long flight)
-air conditioned shuttle bus, with lots to see on the way to the resort
-pools are fairly nice and pretty clean...the main pool also overlooks the beach/ocean
-a la carte restaurants had pretty good food
-buffet was the same every day, however there was always something good to choose from
-beds were comfortable
-mini fridge always stocked, although the only thing we drank was the bottled water (you can drink the water from the tap as well...it's very clean and safe)
-snorkelling was fantastic and the beach was really nice, but a bit rocky (just bring water shoes and you will be fine)
-smaller resort, which was nice because it didn't seem over crowded and you didn't have to walk miles to go to the washroom or grab some food/snacks
-clean washrooms
-lots of loungers and chairs, as well as huts and other shaded areas
-entertainment daily and nightly which consisted of shows, movies, games, etc
-family friendly, not a huge party resort by any means
-check-in went fairly smoothly considering the amount of people that arrived at the same time as us...just a little bit of a wait when checking in
-check-out was no problem/hassle-free
-food quality was decent, some over-cooked foods, but never had anything that was under-cooked
-we felt very safe both on and off the resort
-nice small fitness center with quite a bit of equipment
-coco cafe was nice and had quite a bit of a selection of coffee, drinks and desserts daily
-entertainment team tried really hard and were always friendly...I would say they were the friendliest people on the resort

CONS
-service is hit or miss....we found that employees were either very friendly or not friendly at all...there was no in between really
-beach a bit rocky...but you will be fine if you bring water shoes
-beef a bit over-cooked at the steakhouse, eggs at the buffet had an odd taste
-only one sheet provided on the bed, but you can call and ask for a blanket
-we had problems with our safe twice and it took the repair man about 45 minutes to fix it both times, which was a little annoying
-for the a la cartes, you had to go quite early (30-60 mins in advance) if you wanted to get in to the first seating, as there are no reservations allowed....I think it would be better if they booked reservations for the a la cartes, as most other resorts do
-be prepared to be in the restaurants for 1.5-2hrs (or more for a larger party)...it is a really relaxed atmosphere and they really take their time serving you
-we found that it was hard to get a glass of water at the buffet and sometimes at the restaurants
-we never knew what you could get to eat past 11pm, as everything closed down by that time...this wasn't a problem for us, as we were always in bed by then or just after, but for people staying up late wanting a snack, I'm not too sure what they serve/where they serve it that late

Room Tip: 2000s (in the tower) and 8000s (preferred club) are newly renovated rooms
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Alexandra S
Write a ReviewReviews (4,985)

Reviewed April 28, 2014

I planned a 50th birthday for my good friend that wanted to go somewhere we had never been. There was 10 of us. I went thru my travel agent. She was having trouble finding anything new that we would like. I ran across this place on an apple website. I checked out the website and it looked very nice. I asked my travel agent she said it was nice. She had sent probably 5 sets of couples there in the past six months. She said the only bad thing was that American Airlines was bad about changing your flight home. They offered 2 flights home 7:00 am or 3:30 pm. We took the later flight to stay longer. She was right they switched the flight and there was nothing we could do about it. It started out rocky from the beginning. We got to Curaçao and our first problem with the resort was the the shuttle. They over booked it. There was no room for any of us. They took our luggage and called us a cab. It was a minivan & very tight for the ten if us. We checked in only to find out we were not all together in the same building. I had been told we would be. We thought no big deal. We could deal with that. They were at full capacity so it is what it is. We got to our rooms only to find out that our room looked nothing like the pic they showed online. We paid for ocean view which cost more. The room was old & smelled like mold. It was so small and not worth what we paid. The worst thing was it was hot. We called and asked what was the problem. They were having trouble but said they were working on it. They had no other rooms. The rest of our group all but the birthday girl had the same horrible rooms & no view of the ocean and hot. We went to the beach. That is what we came for. We stopped to get towels. They were out. The beach was very small but beautiful. When we went to our room that night it was so hot and unbearable. We called they said it was fixed. We said not in our room. They came in and worked on our unit they did get air to finally come out but it was warm air at best. We spent the first night above the sheets sweating horribly. There was not to much sleep that night. The next morning we spent back again to the front desk. We had asked for a fan the day before four times and were promised we would get one. It never came. We were crabby and very unhappy. They promised they would get us a fan. We did finally get one late afternoon the second day. We got our towels as soon as they opened. But by 9:00 am they were turning people away again. When I asked the towel girl about it she said they would not give her enough towels. It had gotten so bad that she took the towels she got back daily home and washed them herself to have what she did. That is horrible!! I should say that all of the staff were wonderful!! They work from early morning till late in the evening with out the things they need but they are always smiling and are as helpful as they can be. The restaurants were good. The best one was the Japanese was the best!! Like I said the staff every where was awesome!! The rest if our group had the same things wrong with their rooms as we did. The only exception was the birthday girl. Thank god she got put in the towers. It looked just like the pictures. It was beautiful, large ocean view room updated and nice and cool. I was happy she was in there. It is a shame that I can never recommend this place. We travel all the time out of the country and in the US. I have never had a horrible experience like this. If you go make sure you are in the towers. The property was nice and pretty well kept. The tennis courts were not on the property. They were across the street which was no big deal but they were in bad shape and big holes in the fence so you were constantly chasing balls. The mini fridge in your room was suppose to have juice, waters, beers & soda. We had to beg for waters. They would only give you one a piece per day if the guy had enough. No juices and limited sodas. We never ordered room service but it was included. It was all inclusive. I think the reason why they were so mismanaged and old rooms that smells is because they are the only all inclusive on the island. I guess if you do not have any competition you do not care. That is what we came away thinking. I would go back to the island but never to this resort. It is such a shame. We planned this trip for eight months. We were all so looking forward to it. The snorkeling there is amazing!! Please go see the island but do not stay here.

Room Tip: Make sure you are in the towers.
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
12  Thank Brutis12
Awendel K, Assistant to the General Manager at Sunscape Curacao Resort Spa & Casino, responded to this reviewResponded May 7, 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review regarding your recent stay with us at Sunscape Curacao Resort Spa & Casino.
We value your extensive feedback and will be intensively review with all departments concerned and that we are currently working on the points mentioned in order to significantly improve our services.
We wish we had the opportunity to contact you while you were on premises. We are certain that with some correction we could have changed your perspective and transform it into a positive one.

Should you decide to give us one more chance and prove our improvement during a next stay, please let us know. We would be more than glad to host you.

Reviewed April 28, 2014

Great facility for a relaxing vacation. Our room was very close to the ocean and away from the main pool, which is what we wanted..You can drink the water from the tap which made things easy.kid's club facility was very well organized. The staff are engaged and professional with the kids,to ensure there was something for all and that they are entertained. A true must for an opportunity for the parents to enjoy some beach or quiet time. The kids still talk and recall the names of their providers and the outings they did. Other staff at restaurant, lobby, bars were excellent. You never felt as a burden. They ensured you had everything to enjoy your meal. Food was great in all restaurants.The main ' buffet' restaurant provided a great variety for the entire week, which is not always the case. Only drawback of the a la cartes was the limited seating with no opportunity to reserve. Resort is in need of ongoing upgrades but it is very well maintained and clean.

4  Thank Bri P
Awendel K, Assistant to the General Manager at Sunscape Curacao Resort Spa & Casino, responded to this reviewResponded May 6, 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your comment about us. It finds us with great joy to know that you had a wonderful time with us and enjoyed all the aspects of your vacations.

Whenever you decide on coming back, please let us know. We would be honored to receive you once again and provide you the same level of service you already experienced.

Always at your services,

Reviewed April 28, 2014

We had a great family vacation at the Sunscape! The resort is beautiful and is small enough to easily get around. The main purpose of this review is to complement the kids club. Many thanks to the ladies at the Explorer's Club. Marvett,Roxy,Lisa, Cynthia and Giselle did a fabulous job looking after our kids. I cannot say enough about this program. It was well structured and had activities from morning to night for our 4 yr old, 7 yr old and our friends' 9 yr old. The kids would participate for part of the day and then spend some quality family time on the beach. On some evenings they watched a movie on the beach while we (the parents) could enjoy a nice late supper. My husband and I enjoy travelling and discovering various cultures but we would go back to this resort(for the kid's club alone), not to mention it's beautiful surroundings and friendly staff.

Stayed: April 2014
3  Thank Mo P
Reviewed April 28, 2014

as they say, I've been there twice, the first and last time. I reserved 2 rooms, the First night both rooms had no working AC, no shower curtain and shower did not drain. After going to the front desk twice, and was told each time they just turned the AC Chillers on. I saw that I was getting no where. When talking to the desk personnel, they were easily distracted to anything other than me and my issue. Made promise after promise but to no avail. Maintenace guy showed up at 10pm after we had just fallen to sleep on the first day. The next day after talking and waiting until 3 pm, I finally got another room in a new 6 month old building. After moving my family luggage, no AC! Another trip and 4 hours I finally got AC. My brother and family was arriving the next day. I checked to make sure they were in my new building which they confirmed. Problem was that they placed my brothers family in that orginial no AC room and yes it had no AC still. Also it was a Garden room when my brother had paid for an ocean view.
Front desk staff had no answers and unwilling to find someone who did. They told me they would compensate me and never did.
Transportation to and form the airport: I was told was not included in our package, so I paid $20 and they charged the guy behind me $30.
Food: the buffet was terrible by my Army standards, but the Japanese restaurant was great. If you ate at one of the 4 restaurants other than the buffet, you need to stand in line at 6 PM for a table at 7 PM and served at 8 PM.
Bars: (1) ran out of Beer, (2) were dirty and smelled of old beer. Small 6 oz classes.
Pools were great but they ran out of towels by 09:00.
Beach and snorking were great but very small.
Large rooms with a small refrig and stocked with 2 bottles of water, 2 cokes and 1 fruit box.
They have a small store but items were VERY expensive, $8 for a vending size small bag of chips.
Each room has a safe, I had to have security reset mine twice. There's that word again, twice.
We ventured into town, a waste of taxi fare.
For the $$$$ it was not an enjoyable time. But i remember it, twice!

Room Tip: You must ask for Building 2 or 8, both are only 8 months old. And demand what you paid for,
4  Thank Steve L

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review regarding your recent stay with us. We take every comment received very seriously in order to continue improving our services.

It is regrettable to learn that you encountered situations during your stay that may have tampered with your vacations. Please be assured knowing that we currently working in the points mentioned in order to significantly improve our services. Should you decide to give us one more chance and prove their improvement during a next stay, please let us know. We will be more than glad to host you.

Reviewed April 28, 2014

We visited Curacao 1st week of April and stayed at Sunscape as we did not want to be IN town but close enough for a trips there. It is one of very few All-Inclusive options and I think most of the time the more affordable from them all. It is not a luxury resort but the layout is very nice, gardens kept clean, lots of mature trees including some very unique ones that have ‘ghostly’ trunks made up of inter-wined roots and branches. The lobby is not very big but inviting, with changing mood lights. All staff was very welcoming and pleasant to deal with, from the 1st welcome glass of champagne to our departure.
We were in a first building to the right from the lobby, standing perpendicular to the beach, I did not remember the name of the building unfortunately. It was very convenient as it was centrally located, close enough to everything and shaded by trees. Never had any issues with noise as most entertainment was on the opposite end by the dive shop (the only noise we had were daily visits by a pair of big parrots that came to a tree above our balcony and made a terrible ruckus, but we rather enjoyed their show and it added to the exotic tropical feeling ) the room was 1st on the 2nd floor, again – no luxuries but of good size with all the necessities and cheerfully decorated, brigt, small French balcony to dry your swimwear/towels, the maid service was good. The AC stopped cooling sufficiently the day before our departure and we called the maintenance twice but it was not fixed, we did not care much about it as we hardly spent time in our room during days and it was possible to sleep with open balcony at night. The food was good, we always found something we liked, every night there was some international food at one of the station at the buffet – Indian, Asian, Italian…The fish made by their young Indian chef was so delicious that I had to find him and ask for ingredients in it and tried to cook it at home. We went to all a-la-carte and we kind of liked that you did not have to reserve in advance and were NOT LIMITED on how many times you could go, we never had trouble getting in as we were flexible on time, but we were only 3 , if you are a bigger party it could’ve been a bit trickier… Our favourite was the Seafood – steamed bass and conch fritters were delicious, least favourite was Japanese – the setting is very nice and the cook was entertaining but the food was smothered in some sort of salty-sweet sauce that made chicken, beef, fish taste exactly the same, I think having someone more familiar with Japanese/Asian cuisine there would be helpful.
We got great service from the dive shop on site, it is one of the 5 locations of the Ocean Encounters (you can find the bigger one with good choice of equipment for sale at the Lions Dive, short walk towards the aquarium). Our special thanks go to Paul from the dive shop and the two young blond ladies, shame I forgot their names; they all took very good care of us. We took a couple of boat dives and some shore dives and a snorkelling excursion to tug boat and saw a variety of sea life – turtles and sea horse (our 1st time for both!). Different kind of eels, flounders, spiny lobster, colourful sea snails, squid in numbers, stingrays and lots of colourful fish, coral and sponges. The snorkelling was good along the artificial reef that separates hotel lagoon from open sea (that was never very calm), but much better on the outer side of the stone ‘wall’, you need to be a good swimmer as the currents beyond the wall were often always quite strong. You can enter the water near the Dive shop, swim beyond the wall end let the current carry you while you enjoy the sea live viewing, then exit where the wall dividing the resort from small public beach stands.
They had a yoga instructor that week, Jolene, who was wonderful, and my daughter and husband really enjoyed daily fresh air yoga sessions.
Never had any issues to find a beach chair either in the shade or in the sun, even if we came late.
Also my daughter was able to use the climbing wall and had fun. I though the idea of having movies on the beach with the big inflatable screen and even bags of popcorn was really great, a number of kids and their parents enjoyed it every night. Our kids are no longer in need of one –but It seems that the resort has a very nice Kids Club –it looked very clean and well organized (not that common in resorts, unfortunately), with two big rooms full of nice toys, games and furniture and a big shady fenced yard where you can safely leave your little ones under good care, I stopped by one day and liked the look of it.
We rented a car for a day from Hertz counter at the lobby, it was a great idea (prepare your itinerary in advance and then you can see so much in just one day), very nice trip around the island. We saw 5 or 6 different beaches of which Daaibooi Beach was our favourite, we spent some time snorkelling there and hiking the trail above the rocks, to the right of the beach.
We saw flamingos at the Salt Ponds, visited Chobolobo factory, Curaloe plantation, Ostrich farm and did other interesting stops. With rented GPS it was about $60-70 USD + gas (compact car, needed VERY little gas). Four of those attractions were nice short stops on a half day-long car trip, but I would not probably bother going on a longer, organized trip there, I think it is really overpriced, especially if you are a family – only really young kids get a discount. I think car is a better choice money-wise and for your schedule/flexibility.
If you want to buy a liqueur to bring home as a gift or souvenir – Duty Free at the airport had the best prices, particularly for the famous Blue Curacao, it was more expensive even at the Chobolobo Estate where they produce it (it is still worth a visit - to look at the historic estate and to learn about history of making the famous liqueur and sample various varieties of it or get some nice souvenirs) and WAY more expensive in shops in town. Same with sweet thick liqueurs that are common there (pistachio, sweet condensed milk one etc.) – we’ve been to wine stores in town and a very big modern supermarket – DF prices are better.

6  Thank annatCanada
Reviewed April 28, 2014

Just returned from the Sunscape in Curaçao April 20-26. We were a group of 22. I would not recommend this resort to my worst enemy! The weather was nice and that is the only positive thing I can say about this trip. The resort is a disgrace. The pictures online do not accurately represent the condition of the resort. The rooms are disgusting...and we were even upgraded to the renovated portion of the resort. The in room refrigerators were never replenished when asked. We asked for beer several times and were told that they were all out. The pool bar has a stench as if it has NEVER been cleaned. The buffet was less than acceptable. Not only the food, but they lacked an appropriate number of dishes, bowls, cups throughout the day. Juice dispensers were always empty in the am as was the bucket of ice. Entertainment was a joke and the daily activities were non existent compared to most all inclusives. The website and brochure boast an extensive wine list which couldn't be further from the truth. They do have a wine list but all the bottles are unavailable. Or they are "in the warehouse....and would take too long to go an get them"...this was told to us by the staff!!! And to top it off, go to the towel hut at 8:30am and be told that they don't have any towels and to come back in an hour. In the mornings, the pool bar fills old juice containers with soda and beer which is then brought to the beach bar. Ask for a cold beer or soda mid afternoon and they pour it out of the juice container that was filled at 9am...warm and flat. Disgusting and unacceptable! If you choose to book this resort after reading this, do yourself a favor and go into town to the local bars and restaurants. You will have a much better experience!

• Stayed: April 2014
8  Thank Runnergirl18

Dear Guest,

Thank you for review posted regarding your visit at Sunscape Curacao Resort, Spa & Casino.
We value your extensive feedback on the Trip Advisor. Your feedback will be intensively reviewed with all the departments concerned.
Our aim is to achieve the best results for all our guest that visit our resort. We are very confident that with your comments will have some clear indication into where we have to place more attention in order to improve our results.

We wish we had the opportunity to contact you while you were staying with us. We are certain that with some correction we could have changed your stay and maybe even make transform it into a positive one.
Should you consider giving us another opportunity in the future please feel free to contact us at email address: a_manager.sucur@sunscaperesorts.com.
We will be very pleased to assist you and make sure that you and your group has an excellent stay with us.