“Family travel”

Sunscape Curacao Resort Spa & Casino
Ranked #9 of 32 Hotels in Willemstad
Reviewed February 17, 2014

We stayed here the beginning of February for one week. The weather was beautiful and my husband and son thoroughly enjoyed the snorkelling. We picked this place because of the break wall, which ensured nice calm waters for snorkelling.

We have travelled as a family to many different Caribbean countries, and there were just a couple of things that were good and not so good.

The rooms were very clean and the fridge stocked daily with juice box's, beer and pop. If you had a specific request for the fridge, a small note placed inside the fridge Is all that is needed. Even though the tap water was safe, we requested two bottles of water each day and there weren't any issues.

There was a different movie on the big screen on the beach each night at 7:30 pm. This was great, because it was either a kids/family movie that we could enjoy after supper. A table was set up with individual bags of popcorn and juice as self serve. This was a really great touch!

There wasn't a huge amount as far as kids entertainment, only if you registered them with the kids club. Our son only did this once, he just wanted to check it out for an hour or so. The staff there were friendly, and after filling out some forms, they provide you with a beeper just in case. This is also a great service.

We felt safe enough to walk to the aquarium which was about 10 mins. away. We also hopped onto the local bus to go to Willemstad. Both were enjoyable, and its nice to get out for a bit of sightseeing.

When going to any of the restaurants on the resort, I agree with everyone else, you MUST be there at least a half an hour before it opens or you don't get a spot.

The buffet needs the most work, as service is very sketchy. It didn't matter if it was breakfast, lunch or dinner. Sometimes you had service, most times not. The food was okay, but like most buffets at resorts you tend to get a little tired of it no matter what. They did have a kids area at the buffet with hotdogs, burgers, pizza etc. the nice thing is that there are regular condiments like ketchup, mustard, mayo and familiar brands. This will appeal to anyone who's been to Cuba and miss these simple pleasures.

We knew there were still rooms needing work so I emailed the resort a couple of weeks before we left politely requesting a renovated room if available. We received a prompt response, not guaranteeing the request but that it was noted in our reservation and they would do their best to accommodate.

We stayed in a beautiful, modern and clean room and we were very pleased with the comfort of the bed. The balcony is also one of the largest we've had, and they come with a little stand on the balcony to place wet bathing suits to dry. (Also a nice touch).

Overall nice spot, nice family getaway. Can't worry about the tiny things, nothing is ever perfect and your vacation is only as good as you make it.

Room Tip: Royal tower very nice. Elevator in it as it has 5 floors. Nice view of pool and beach.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
10  Thank fam397

Visited Feb. 9 - 16/14
Rooms are very dated and housekeeping does not replenish all items daily. One day you had no face cloths the next no hand towels, bath towels. One day we did not get toilet paper and it seemed a real issue to get some. Always changed the bed or made it, but never totally with all blankets on it.
When calling for any issues they say ok but you never get what you need until you call again.
I guess a mini-bar is that..........mini-. Either no beer or two beer. At times water, no liquor at all.
I presume when they say liquor and beer for amenities they mean to get it yourself at the bars located about the resort.........
Food is excellent. No problems in the area of that.
Need more staffing for cooking the breakfast omelets and some other meals etc. Line ups were long and food was cold when you got it.
Pools are excellent.
Entertainment excellent........always something going on.

Our room was 7108 and you had a nice size patio. A great ocean view and nice to sit at mornings and the evenings. They never seem to clean the floor of these which would be nice as they get very dirty with air borne hair, leaves and sand.

All in all a good vacation, but nothing that jumped out to say we would return.

Room Tip: Beveridge.........always run out of something. Vodka one day, beer another, curacao another. Never h...
5  Thank Ptown2014
Reviewed February 17, 2014

My husband and I just got back from a great vacation in Curaçao. We were given a lovely room that was very clean, and had no problems except for the fact that we had paid for Oceanview and got the same view as everyone else to which the hotel is now looking into.
Most of the staff was friendly with the exception of a few and if you are used to traveling to Mexico and Jamaica where they are always friendly's it was a bit different.
The service itself was not as up to par as what we are used to, but if you don't mind serving yourself the food and drinks were very good.
We were told that in the next few years this property should be up to standard to become a Dreams, although they have work to do, by the other comments I believe this is possible.
We are part of the vacation and spoke with Marcia Meyer who was awesome at getting some of our questions answered regarding more info on the pkg. we bought 3 years ago in PV. We are so happy with the Vac Club it's nice to know that after 3 years they still offer great customer service!
Jebb from Canada

5  Thank Sheilajones2013
Reviewed February 17, 2014

We booked with Sunwing and other than the 2 hr check in at the airport the flight was excellent. They fed us,gave out warm wash clothes, champagne and chocolates.
Hotel Check in:
They pre check you in at the airport but then still check you in again at the hotel. Note, if you paid for preferred club then you can go into the little room and do your check in there instead of standing in the line up.
We have been staying in all inclusive resorts for 15 years. This hotel lacks consistency in a big way. We paid extra for the preferred club and stayed in building 8. Our view was excellent but b/c our door was facing the street, if we didn't have our air conditioner on then we could hear ALL the traffic. Horns beeping and squealing tires. Having said that, the A/C is either blasting cold or off. We noticed the A/C issue to be consistent with other visitors. So when you are so cold that you just shut the air off then your room will become damp.
We had excellent room cleanliness. Mini bar and towels stocked daily. Always had hot water.
But again this was not the case for other visitors we spoke to.
The bed was the worst I have ever slept on. I dreaded going to bed, knowing the neck and back pain that I would endure all night. I asked in the preferred lounged if there were any better beds and was told that they were the same all over. But other guests said their beds were good. We also only had a sheet and a blanket. Others said they had 2 duvets.
Many times I ordered drinks and noticed the bar tenders not putting alcohol (very poor quality) in the drinks. I had to specify that I wanted the alcohol? This happened at all the bars.
As for the beach butler. There is only one for everyone, so you she/he can only get around about once per hour.
The Restaurants:
Buffet says it's open late but the one night we ate there at 9 pm and it was all dried up and stuck to the pans. I found the buffet ok for lunch but this is the first resort that I didn't have an omelet all week. Their layout for getting the omelets is not well thought out and they didn't look like they were worth the wait.
We liked the Italian and the Japanese. The steakhouse was just ok for the steak and the seafood was just ok too.
Norma at the beach bar was the friendliest of them all.
We paid extra but didn't feel it was worth it. There are not enough preferred chairs with the pads for the number of people staying in preferred. You will have to get up by 6 am to get the chair that you want. That is not my idea of a relaxing vacation.
We did do an island tour and Curacao is beautiful. You are paying for the location.
I have stayed at way nicer hotels for way less. You can only get wifi in the lobby. Inc.in your preferred cost.
Would I stay at this hotel again. No.

5  Thank Sheila A
Reviewed February 16, 2014

Date of travel Feb 7-14, 2014. Booked through Air Canada Vacations.
Planning, purchasing and organizing through ACV was super easy and convenient. A+ for that component.
The hotel - well, this will be a mixed review, so I'll give you the bullets first and then some details.
Food - very good. 5 restaurants, 4 a la carte and one buffet.
Service - bar and restaurant and front office staff - excellent. Housekeeping - dreadful.
Significant language barriers as many of the staff neither speak or understand english very well.
Amenities - very nice - great beach, but it could be raked more regularly. Lots of lounge chairs - never a problem getting one. Bars, and entertainment; - so so in term of hours of service and quality of alcohol. None of the restaurants or bars kept the hours that the guest directory indicated they were supposed to, so don't count on the information in your room to be accurate.
Rooms - either great or terrible - more on that later.
Summary - if you can get a deal when booking, would recommend; if you have to pay full price, go somewhere else. This has the potential to be a four star plus, but the resort needs renovations and new furniture in its rooms and much better housekeeping to go from a 3 to a 4 star.

Details - Our first 4 days we had no hot water and received no new towels for the first 3 days either or blankets on the bed when we arrived- this despite leaving tips and calling and even going to the front office to make requests in person. After day 3 we stopped tipping housekeeping. The assistant manager Nutan was fabulous in her efforts to try and rectify things - she moved us three times in her search to get a room with hot water, which speaks to a problem with the resort not the people. Nutan also addressed other issues such as housekeeping and making sure we could stay near friends who had travelled with us. If not for her help and professionalism, this would likely have been one of our worst vacations ever. As it was we ended up having a great time for most of the trip, especially after getting a room finally with hot water. We stayed in the Pelican Building, ground floor, room 7114 was the one that finally had hot water. The building was quiet, had great beach access and a bar outside which closed early and thus ensured a peaceful sleep. Too, staff provided thermoses of hot coffee in the morning at the bar so one could easily have a cup before heading to the buffet restaurant for breakfast. Norma or Baby Love who worked the bar at the Oceania was fantastic and made one feel really wanted and welcome . One last note about the rooms - worst pillows ever - I think they bought surplus from some children's summer camp - they were the size of postage stamps, if you take my meaning, and lumpy - really - I can't think of anywhere in my entire life, except for camp as a kid, when I had such poor quality and tiny pillows to sleep on.
Restaurants - my least favorite was the Italian, although my wife enjoyed it, I found the food bland and the pasta consistently overcooked. The Himitsu Japanese restaurant was fabulous as was the Oceania Seafood restaurant. The Bar and Grill served great ribs - would avoid the steaks if you're fussy about making sure you get your steak the way you like it (ie. rare medium etc). The World Cafe was the buffet and was very good - selections changed daily and the food was refreshed regularly.
Drinks - I don't normally do all-inclusives, so I found the drinks tiny and the quality of the alcohol to be poor; I was told by other travelers who do all-inclusives regularly that this is normal - so I'll not speak more on that subject.
Other stuff - the snorkeling was superlative ! I've snorkeled in Belize, Grand Turk, Bahamas, Cuba, Jamaica and none of those even come close to the snorkeling in Curacao - can't say enough about the calm seas, clarity of the water, the amount of and variety of sea life one sees in Curacao - made the trip for me personally.
Would I go back - I don't know, maybe with another couple again, but I would ensure to buy on a special. For the cost, at regular price, one can do better elsewhere. Like I said above, the service was generally very good and the staff were great but the owners of the resort need to invest in some renovations and maintenance and address some serious flaws in how housekeeping is managed before Sunscape can be considered a prime destination resort.

Room Tip: Don't bother asking for Beach Front - as of February 2014 those rooms are probably in the worst...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
8  Thank ChapelHill10
Awendel K, Assistant to the General Manager at Sunscape Curacao Resort Spa & Casino, responded to this reviewResponded February 18, 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your objective comment about your experience in our resort.

We are glad that you enjoyed the interaction with the staff and the snorkeling.
Your comments have been forwarded to the corresponding personnel and they are in revision, in order to perform the necessary changes and provide the guests with the accommodations and service they deserve.

Once again, thank you very much.

Assistant to the General Manager

Reviewed February 15, 2014

We had a great time in Curacao, largely in part our stay at the Sunscape. The staff at the resort were so friendly and helpful. They were always busy seeing to the wants of their guests.
We stayed in the 700 building. Rooms were dated but clean. We were on the 3rd floor and had a spectacular view. TV's are mounted in terrible positions, but then again we were not there to watch TV. We had a friend who also stayed in the 700 wing on the main floor..she too had a great room, especially for late afternoon drinks, and bathroom breaks!!
The 700 wing was with the Oceania restaurant. The staff there, obviously got to know us and treated us like royalty. Thanks to Vianello "V", Cardine, Daicy, Venethy,Ivonnely, Tracey, Annmari, Narhum in the evening ..and who can forget Norma " baby love, keep the party Rollin"' who tended bar during the day, and Iona who worked continuously at the beach grill!! Thanks to all of you for making us feel so special.
The activity staff were incredible to..we were there on Super Bowl Sunday, and although the game itself was not much to see..who can't enjoy watching the game on a HUGH blowup screen, lying in law chairs on the beach, with a tent set up with all kinds of tailgating foods...WELL DONE SUNSCAPE!!!!!!
We ventured off the island a couple of times..so safe, and again people so friendly and helpful.
Although if we returned to the island, I would consider renting a villa, and immersing more in the island cultures...

Room Tip: I would not spend the money for preferred, I did not see the rooms, but then again I spend as little...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
7  Thank alandshell

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your comment about us. It finds us with great joy to know that you had a wonderful time with us and that you enjoyed all the aspects of your vacations.

We will make sure to let the employees mentioned know that they helped make your vacations even better than they were.

It was an honor having you here and we are looking forward in welcoming you in the near future.

Assistant to the General Manager

Reviewed February 15, 2014

My winter sea and sand vacation was planned via Apple Vacations. I have found for an all inclusive package and great customer service one can't go wrong for a quick low-keyed getaway to the islands.
I discovered Curacao in a magazine article while in Miami. It sounded like the destination for me and as a gift to myself for my 60th birthday. How right I was. A fine place to decompress and enjoy the welcoming, courteous, young staff in addition to the weather, breezes, and sea. It didn't disappoint.
The property is very inviting to roam the meandering pathways and enjoy the small hamlets set for privacy and contemplation. The bars were just enough and the food very tasty. Go early for any specialty meals though. I felt safe and comfortable as a solo traveler mingling with US residents, Canadians, and Netherland vacationers.
I like different destinations but this is one I would return.
My only disgruntlement was the extremely long layover upon return in Miami as there were no other flights to PA; but well worth the trip.

Room Tip: I was given Preferred Status for some reason so the accomodations were a bit different than where th...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo
8  Thank LvmjV

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your comments. It fills us with joy and great pride to know that we were able to meet and exceed your expectations and that our staff treated you like family and assisted with anything and everything you ever needed.

As a service oriented company, we always strive to meet and exceed our guest' expectations and we are happy to know that you will be back to visit us in the near future.

Whenever you decide on planning your trip, please let us know. We would love to have you back with us.

Assistant to General Manager

Also consider these accommodations in or near Willemstad
Lions Dive & Beach Resort Curacao
Papagayo Beach Resort
#10 of 32 in Willemstad
Renaissance Curacao Resort & Casino
Santa Barbara Beach & Golf Resort, Curacao

Been to Sunscape Curacao Resort Spa & Casino? Share your experiences!